Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So thankful i found MDA, i have my IBS under control now! page

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member

So thankful i found MDA, i have my IBS under control now!

Hello everyone!

After lurking for some time now, I have gathered enough bravery to start a little thread on my own. Maybe for catharsis, maybe because I find a lot of good information on this forum without the CW inquisitive brow raising...

THE INITIATION:
    My initiation into a Primal lifestyle started pretty much like a lot of you: with health calling up real bad in the hopes that something shifts in a better direction.

THE TRIGGER:
    In September 2012 I traveled back home for a a few days of holidays and I clearly remember ravenously eating at the airport a whole pack of "healthy" cocoa and cranberry cookies with a pint of milk. I see now what a mistake that was.
    I spent the whole trip sick to my stomach, glued to the bathroom and having very little fun. Initially I thought I had traveler's flu or some kind of 24hr bug. Of course, due to the symptoms I started on various medicines, and none of them sustainably solved my problem.

THE CLARITY:
    Weeks later and still having terrible episodes, I stumbled upon a shared article at an acquaintance's FB page which stated something about harmful wheat. I was curious, since I have never thought evil of any grain. I read the article and spent the next 4 hrs browsing through the archives. I was hooked!

THE SEARCH:
    I already had in my phone the app Myfitnesspal forgotten somewhere. I started tracking everything I ate and relating it how I felt before, during and after the meal. I even did a little trial and error just to make sure: I baked some oatmeal muffins, very "healty" and low fat of course = IBS episode 4 to 6 hrs later. Hooray! I had the root cause narrowed down: grains were doing all the damage!

THE WAY OUT:
    Three months later, my IBS is totally under control, meaning: if I consciously cheat with some bread, brownie or cookie, then I know I will have an episode, ranging in intensity depending on the grain dose and mix.
    My pantry is all cleaned out, every time I go to the supermarket I have a Primal mindset. Of course I slip sometimes, specially dining out, but I know I am human and will power is a muscle in need to be trained and perfected.

THE SMALL ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
    I haven't bought bread/pasta/pastries for myself in months! I don't buy milk anymore. I gave away my rice/flour/pasta/beans pantry supplies. I have cut way back on yogurt, dark chocolate and nuts (I have been overeating for weeks). I am good friends with heavy cream.

NEW HUNGER:
    So with IBS taken care of, and after reading so many success stories, now I want more! I realize a lot of things in my life that are not optimal: I have always been slender, HOWEVER now I know I am actually skinny fat with over 33% body fat, with serious carb cravings, chronic cardio addict and dragging my feet by the end of any regular work day.

NEW GOALS:
    * Stay icecream/sugar binge free (I work at an industrial icecream factory, imagine that!!).
    * Stick to the 90/10 principle (I actually want more a 95/5 way of life, just taking it step by step).
    * Get to sleep at maximum 11pm every night (hardest goal yet).
    * Increase protagonism of veggies in my diet, cut back on cheese, cut back on fruits (very difficult goal, making baby steps towards).
    * Stay good friends with heavy cream (make good sensible use of it).
    * Daily achievement of a higher protein% intake vs the carb% intake (use less Myfitnesspal by making me Primal savvy).
    * Steer away from chronic cardio, always prefer slow cardio/waking and throw in a little weight lifting (at least do 15minutes of anything daily).
    * Loving every minute of it!
    Last edited by U2sandrah; 11-26-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Proofreading...
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by U2sandrah View Post
    Hello everyone!

After lurking for some time now, I have gathered enough bravery to start a little thread on my own. Maybe for catharsis, maybe because I find a lot of good information on this forum without the CW inquisitive brow raising...

THE INITIATION:
    My initiation into a Primal lifestyle started pretty much like a lot of you: with health calling up real bad in the hopes that something shifts in a better direction.

THE TRIGGER:
    In September 2012 I traveled back home for a a few days of holidays and I clearly remember ravenously eating at the airport a whole pack of "healthy" cocoa and cranberry cookies with a pint of milk. I see now what a mistake that was.
    I spent the whole trip sick to my stomach, glued to the bathroom and having very little fun. Initially I thought I had traveler's flu or some kind of 24hr bug. Of course, due to the symptoms I started on various medicines, and none of them sustainably solved my problem.

THE CLARITY:
    Weeks later and still having terrible episodes, I stumbled upon a shared article at an acquaintance's FB page which stated something about harmful wheat. I was curious, since I have never thought evil of any grain. I read the article and spent the next 4 hrs browsing through the archives. I was hooked!

THE SEARCH:
    I already had in my phone the app Myfitnesspal forgotten somewhere. I started tracking everything I ate and relating it how I felt before, during and after the meal. I even did a little trial and error just to make sure: I baked some oatmeal muffins, very "healty" and low fat of course = IBS episode 46-hrs later. Hooray! I had the root cause narrowed down: grains were doing all the damage!

THE WAY OUT:
    Three months later, my IBS is totally under control, meaning: if it consciously cheat with some bread, brownie or cookie, then I know I will have an episode, ranging in intensity depending on the grain dose and mix.
    My pantry is all cleaned out, every time I go to the supermarket I have a Primal mindset. Of course I slip sometimes, specially dining out, but I know I am human and will power is a muscle in need to be trained and perfected.

THE SMALL ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
    I haven't bought bread/pasta/pastries for myself in months! I don't buy milk anymore. I gave away my rice/flour/pasta/beans pantry supplies. I have cut back on yogurt, dark chocolate and nuts. I am good friends with heavy cream.

NEW HUNGER:
    So with IBS taken care of, and after reading so many success stories, now I want more! I now realize a lot of things that are not optimal: I have always been slender, HOWEVER now I know I am actually skinny fat with over 33% body fat, with serious carb cravings, chronic cardio addict and dragging my feet by the end of any regular work day.

NEW GOALS:
    * Stay icecream/sugar binge free (I work at an industrial icecream factory, imagine that!!).
    * Stick to the 90/10 principle (I actually want more a 95/5 way of life, just taking it step by step).
    * Get to sleep at maximum 11pm every night (hardest goal yet).
    * Increase protagonism of veggies in my diet, cut back on cheese, cut back on fruits (very difficult goal, making baby steps towards).
    * Stay good friends with heavy cream (make good sensible use of it).
    * Daily achievement of a higher protein% intake vs the carb% intake (use less Myfitnesspal by making me Primal savvy).
    * Steer away from chronic cardio, always prefer slow cardio/waking and throw in a little weight lifting (at least do 15minutes of anything daily).
    * Loving every minute of it!
    great posting. thanks for sharing. /lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Thanks so much Louisa!
    Ive seen post of yours somewhere in here! I thank you all for this newly found way!

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Hey there

Welcome to the boards. You will not be disappointed in your lifestyle choice and you will gain soooo much moe than you will lose (unless all your family and friends are against your new healthy ways and shun you because of it. In that case you will lose alot heehee).

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Hi Richard! Thanks! I am sure that I will not be shunned since IBS was really taking a toll on me.

I have to admit that today I cheated a little. Milk chocolate and a "shouldnt have" casserole (potatoes and rice). I will make that my 10% and stay on track for the next few days at least.

After gym I was thinking on a rocket salad with balsamic+olive oil and for dessert a yummy protein shake.

Im off to do some slow cardio and lots of walking!

Zee
    Zee is offline Senior Member
    Hey U2sandrah. I also use MFP to track my food daily; it keeps me accountable. With a journal here as well, we have many tools to help us stay on track.

Best of luck!

Thanks Zee!

Well last nite, things are back on track. For dinner just a rocket/tomato salad and some fresh cheese. Dessert Strawberries and cream. Hit the sack pretty eary too! 11pm and already zzzz...

At this moment I am having a big breakfast since I have meetings that will keep me busy till late afternoon. So 2 eggs, spanizh chorizo and fresh cheese. Strawberries and cream again.

I am hoping to hit the gym later today! With chronic cardio that wouldve been impossible!!

Ok, so Ive really behaved today! So after a little weight lifting workout I am eating a big bowl of rocket, cucumber and olive oil.
    Next up: a protein shake for dessert! Ive been very low on protein all day and this will turn things around a bit.

Feeling good! Nice energy levels.

First off, the time a person needs to adjust to a lower carb diet depends a lot on very individual factors, including how glucose dependent that person has become over a lifetime.

If you can hold it at 150 for a week or so and still feel good, you can gradually decrease to 100 or fewer if you want.

Track how you feel as you reduce your carbs.

Make sure you’re not overdoing it in any one area, and dial back slightly if fatigue is throwing a wrench in your efforts.

True physiological adjustment to a lower carb diet can take two to three weeks as a significant shift in gene expression gets underway.

Be sure you’re getting enough total calories and that you’ve added enough protein and fat into your diet to keep you well-fueled.

Secondly, I’d like to stress that duration of exercise makes a world of difference. There’s an essential reason I recommend a person stay at or below an hour for intensive workouts. The reason “less than an hour” is so critical here is that the body can only store 200-300 grams of glycogen per day on a low-carb plan. That’s enough carbo/glucose fuel to get you through an hour or less of intense workout effort, but it’s generally not enough for 90 minutes or two hours.

The fact is, two hours of intense cardio work (whether it’s running or Muay Thai) will leave the body lethargic or craving carbs. Very possibly both. If you keep the same workout under an hour, no matter how intense, the body doesn’t begin tearing down muscle for glucose. Moreover, it recovers efficiently by burning fat and restocking that 200-300 grams of glycogen for the next day. Especially if weight loss is a goal, working with (not against) your body’s physiology will bring the best results. Occasional longer very low level (like 60% max HR) fat-burning hikes are part of a PB-style exercise program, but when you cut back your harder workouts to well under an hour (all other PB elements in place), you’ll get better results.

A good point to consider: if your workout leaves you feeling like you’re unable to do anything that night or even the next day, you’re working yourself too hard. “Rest periods” between intensive workouts are intended for productive healing and muscle building, not for getting over extreme fatigue.

Read more: Low Energy and the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

**Copy-pasted this from an archive post. I want to have this handy so I can remember this precious advice!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can proudly say that today I became a "no thanks, no bread for me" and a "you want some of my fries?" with a big ass steak and side salad on my plate. Seriously, i was amazed since normally I cannot resist a good piece of freshly baked baguette and some nice french butter. I even got a: "what? you are not having any bread? are you at a new diet??", to which I grinfull replied: "I am living a life away from grains!".
    I could not pass on dessert though (strawberries and whipped cream, regretfully sweetened), so my next step is to work on that. So Im making sustainable the "no bread" thing and then Ill attack dessert. One step at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast