Thread: My Turkey Broth is Better Than Your Turkey Broth page

Jennifla is offline Senior Member

My Turkey Broth is Better Than Your Turkey Broth

Primal Fuel
    Learning how to make bone broth was one of the greatest things that happened to me since going Primal.

I put my turkey carcass from Thanksgiving into the crock pot with a little cider vinegar and let it go on low for three days, topping up the water once a day. (I almost seriously injured myself trying the pressure cooker approach over the summer, so I won't be doing that again. That spot above the stove still needs to be painted).This morning I refrigerated it. Tonight for dinner I heated some broth up with a cut up green pepper, a few cut up jalapeno peppers, leftover sauteed onion, leftover baked spaghetti squash, and leftover turkey cut into small chunks. It was really good.

My repertoire of vegetables is stale, though. I'd like to know what vegetables everyone else puts in their bone broth.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I made a Mexican flavored soup with some of my broth and meat, I added tomatillos, tomatoes, canned chipotles, onions, garlic, peppers and at the very end cilantro then topped it off with avocado and sour cream. Some of the broth I left plain, DS and I had it this morning with a little salt and butter added, it was so good!
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 11-26-2012 at 08:27 PM.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Wow, 3 days? Yours is definitely better! Mine turned out pretty good, it only simmered for 24 hours. Not sure why it didn't gel as much as my chicken stocks do, probably the amount of water needed to cover the carcass maybe. I had to pull out my water bath canning pot to make it in.

Honestly, I don't like a lot of veggies in it. I was craving miso soup the other day but didn't have any, so instead I made a mock-up of the onion broth soup served at Japanese steakhouses--onion powder, dash of sesame oil, garlic, and thinly sliced mushrooms. Hit the spot.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Just bones ... that's all.

Cool broth ... how are you going to eat it?

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    My turkey broth (2 1/2 days) wiggles! No vegetables, though.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    My turkey broth (2 1/2 days) wiggles! No vegetables, though.
    Yay for wiggly broth! Mine had just enough gel to do this insanely creepy looking swirl when I took the pot out of the fridge to skim the fat. It kept swirling in alternating directions. I couldn't stop staring at it! Looooook into the swirl........