Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight erra.. "discussion" with the wife last night while watching the biggest loser.. page

coach81 is offline Senior Member

Fight erra.. "discussion" with the wife last night while watching the biggest loser..

Primal Fuel
    So we are watching the "last chance workout" last night as the two trainers scream and holler at the poor contestants for hours and hours.. and I referred to Mark's DA from a few weeks back when he noted how the real biggest loser are the people watching this show and thinking that this is the way to lose weight...

I said "this is simply unrealistic, and possibly setting these people up for failure".

Then a Nutrisystem commercial came on.. I said "Another great example of 'diets that really don't work'.

At which point my lovely wife (who has her own weight issues - but I love unconditionally) fires back "oh and the "thing" you're doing now does work???" I saw the oportunity.. and I jumped on it...

"Absolutely, I'm only about a month in, but I can see that this blueprint is making some good changes for me, and I could see myself following this program from now on, and easily get - and maintain- great results."

Then she said "Yeah, and I bet anyone from Nutrisystem or Weight Watchers, or slim-fast, or any of the other weight-loss industry companies would tell me the same thing."

Then I really went all out for it.. I said "Honey, how 'bout you give it a try for 30 days, and see what you think? If you really give it a try for 30 days, and follow it to the best of your ability, and don't look, or feel any better, I will stop the program immediately."

She replied "No 'cause it is unhealthy, it will give you a heart attack with all that fat, and red meat." At which point I said "Fine, I'm going to have my yearly checkup with our family doctor in a few months, let's see what he says."

Any comments or suggestions on how I could have handled this better???

Any other comments??? What do you all think, any of you dealing with some of this from family or friends also?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had a heart attack yet. In fact, my already excellent blood pressure went even lower.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    It's rather like religion. Go quietly about enacting what you believe. Those who care will notice the change and grow curious. Forcing ideas on people -- especially those close to you -- will only drive them away.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    I think you handled it perfectly fine. But then again you could use different tones of voice while reading and think completely the opposite.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Not commenting to people who are skeptical until they ask about it is the best way to go about this. Besides, think about how much energy it takes to keep a secret! Wait until someone says "What's happening to you? How are you doing this??" and THEN hit them with the truth. That's all energy you can use to work out, play, and lift heavy things in the meantime. Everybody wins.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    It's rather like religion. Go quietly about enacting what you believe. Those who care will notice the change and grow curious. Forcing ideas on people -- especially those close to you -- will only drive them away.
    Perhaps you are right, but my wife has seen me go from 275lbs to my current weight of about 190 or so..
    I don't think I was trying to force it.. I just suggested it to her.. never raised my voice.. just calmy asked her to give it a try. She knows that I love her no matter what!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meggilizz View Post
    I think you handled it perfectly fine. But then again you could use different tones of voice while reading and think completely the opposite.
    Nah.. I stayed calm..

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    Did *she* give you any reason to think that you didn't handle it well????
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Yeah.. when she said.. "I don't want to talk about it anymore"..

Geoff is offline Member
    If you and your wife are arguing then something's amiss, but that's not a bad thing. Perhaps paradoxically, you're fighting because you love each other so. The fact that you fight over health shows how much you care for each other's well being. Loving and being loved by your spouse is a blessing even if it causes pain sometimes, so first of off relax. If anything it's a sign you have a healthy marriage that your wife cares. I worry for the guy whose wife thinks he's killing himself but does nothing about it. Compared to him you're in great shape. That said, your wife isn't convinced what you're doing is right and there's going to be some tension over it until you both come to terms with it.

How about this: You wrote that you planned to see the doctor "in a few months". Why put it off? Tell your wife that you've thought about what you've said and you want to make sure you really are improving your health, so you're going to see the doctor ASAP and get checked out. Then do it. That will show that you take her point of view seriously and are acting on it which should, hopefully, get a more constructive dialogue going between the two of you. A follow up test after another few months would be helpful too.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coach81 View Post
    Perhaps you are right, but my wife has seen me go from 275lbs to my current weight of about 190 or so..
    I don't think I was trying to force it.. I just suggested it to her.. never raised my voice.. just calmy asked her to give it a try. She knows that I love her no matter what!!!
    It's very likely that she's feeling defensive about her own issues with weight. If she'd gone from 225 to 150 and you were still hovering around 275, you'd probably feel a little vulnerable yourself, no?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast