Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Christmas..... page 4

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    This year was my first "Paleo/Primal" T-giving, which turned out pretty good, even with a housefull of Carb Crunchers. Other than a meat change up (to ham and/or tri tip), and a dessert alteration (the "paleo" apple pie crust was like sand, blah), it will be status quo for Christmas.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Rusty, baking with a mix of rice flour, potato and tapioca starch produces perfect crusts, breads etc. Basically it subs flour 1:1 and to make 1 cup, I use 2/3 cup of rice flour, 1/4 cup of potato starch and the rest - tapioca.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    If there are foods that I want, I might eat them, but it depends on my health status at that point. Right now, anything with questionable oils makes my hands and knees hurt. My mood suffers greatly from alcohol and refined sugars. It's unlikely I'd be recovered enough to eat non-primal foods "freely" at that point. I think I'd rather wait until New Years, when I *know* I'm going to be eating and drinking questionable things (going out to a dinner theater) rather than suffer twice.

My mom always makes deviled eggs (already asked me about it and said she'd make homemade mayo with olive oil for the filling) for Christmas morning and I will probably make some egg nog (from coconut milk) to share for when we open presents. Maybe I will try making it without eggs ( Creamy Hot Cocoa and Egg-Less Nog | Mark's Daily Apple ) for my vegan sister to have some. I'm sure it won't be the same, but adding spices can sometimes be enough. Christmas dinner will likely be primal foods (some kind of meat, and there are always veggies). I will possibly maybe gluten-free cookies and/or a pumpkin pie with a nut crust, since I have most of the ingredients for those things now and am doing a Whole20-something (until Christmas). I'll probably stay strict till New Years anyway.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to stick to my "diet" and help make several healthy Paleo options in every house I visit.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Go easy on the cakes and cookies, folks. Primals tend to be more wheat sensitive than they used to be. Suddenly eating a ton of wheat-based desserts could affect you badly.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Not really off plan much for me. It is pretty primal with turkey, bacon, sausage, roasted root veg. and a sausage cran stuffing Christmas pud. is my only other thought. I need to work that out. I have no intention of feeling ill afterwards.

This is the pud recipe I have done for years. I will try it gluten egg and dairy free this year, and serve with coconut cream and maybe rum see how it goes. http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/c...s-pudding.html I like that she has mentioned how to do gluten free in the bottom. Although pretty basic LOL
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 11-27-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Go easy on the cakes and cookies, folks. Primals tend to be more wheat sensitive than they used to be. Suddenly eating a ton of wheat-based desserts could affect you badly.
    This is truth! I learned the hard way....

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    This is truth! I learned the hard way....
    Which is why I make myself one beautiful gluten free cheesecake and ignore the rest of the junk.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I will be baking my cobbler or pie with gluten free crust or topping
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Rusty, baking with a mix of rice flour, potato and tapioca starch produces perfect crusts, breads etc. Basically it subs flour 1:1 and to make 1 cup, I use 2/3 cup of rice flour, 1/4 cup of potato starch and the rest - tapioca.
    Honest to goodness, I was just wondering about this like yesterday. Thank you!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast