Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato diet - Epic Fail, Glorious Victory page 6

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    For the egg diet to really work you have to be a complete purist and eat nothing but eggs with a little salt and pepper.
    I think the same is true of the original "potato diet" as well. Just sayin'

I think one of my fav hacks, (well I do really like the simplicity of the tators but only for a day or two or three) but I think my fav hack presented was the steak and eggs though it was a little more time spent in the kitchen. But even then I get tired after a day or two. But I had a toothache and too much chewing maybe.

I just like being able to do these things for a few days and have a good idea what my results will be. Sometimes I just get tired of thinking about it. Fasting is another option for not thinking about what to eat, but the trouble with fasting is that I get hungry. So it is nice to have a plan ahead of time & know that when I get hungry, just eat this. Don't think about it, just eat it and then go on about your business. It's only for a few days, every now and then. I think the tator diet is the "refeed" part of the equation that was missing for me.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    On page 4 pklopp said:

I don't mean to pick on you. Trust me I have more productive things to do with my day, but this simply drives me nuts. It cant be "all chocolate diet" when you immediately add "( with adequate protein)". Not possible to supplement adequate daily amount of protein from chocolate alone. Even more so when you limit calories to 1 500.
    You're absolutely right, I misspoke ( mis-wrote ) which is what throwing up a quick reply gets you! I meant to say a predominantly chocolate based diet.

Personally, I'd much rather eat this :

Than this:

And, yes, we are trading fat for CHO, which is my preference. We are also isocaloric and maintaining protein intake.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    You're absolutely right, I misspoke ( mis-wrote ) which is what throwing up a quick reply gets you! I meant to say a predominantly chocolate based diet.

Personally, I'd much rather eat this :

Than this:

And, yes, we are trading fat for CHO, which is my preference. We are also isocaloric and maintaining protein intake.

-PK
    It sounds good, and looks good on paper. The trouble is, I could eat the mousse and then be hungry again in a few hours. The frittata, with two cans of tuna and eggs and tators, I could eat over the course of the day and be full.

And I might be full on the mousee also. Will have to try it sometime But I am thinking even if I ate it over the course of the day, I would still be going to bed hungry and dreaming of wanting more. I can't say I have ever dreamed of tators

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, I think that thread was the one Gorbag did but that was eggs and potatoes. For the egg diet to really work you have to be a complete purist and eat nothing but eggs with a little salt and pepper.
    Hey, I am still doing my egg diet and cycling them with potatoes on three of the weekdays for glycogen refill! Still two more weeks to go with the eggs and no problems with gasses. I haven’t updated the thread because people seemed to be more interested in the “all potato cult”, but yes I am leaning out, and I now seem to be below 10% of body fat and recomposing around 203 pound. Before I started this diet I did different diets to lose weight and gain some muscle, started at 246 lbs. and around 30% body fat one year ago, so this egg diet is a finisher so to say! At the age of fifthy I am now leaner and with better body composition than ever…

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Hmm, I am ~ 100 lbs lean body mass, if I had to replicate the experiment, I would have to take 150 g of protein. 5 cans of tuna, 600 calories. My BMR is ~ 1250, 0.75% of BMR is 940 cals, so I will have 600 cals from protein and 340 calories from anything else. In case of chocolate, it will be ~ 9 squares of generic brand 72% chocolate they sell in the Superstore. Or about a kilo of cauliflower/cabbage. So, the diet is 60% lean protein actually.
    Actually, no, you are falling into the uniquely North American trap of measuring food intake in grams, and body weight in pounds. Things could be worse, of course, you could be in the UK and giving your body mass in stones, but I digress. Since the conversion factor between kilograms and pounds is 2.2, you're quite a bit off, more than double.

Correcting for this:

With your lean body mass and BMR, you would need 68g of protein, 2.25 cans of tuna, 270 calories, leaving you with 670 calories from anything else. In case of chocolate, it will be ~20 squares of the chocolate, or 2.2 kilos of cauliflower / cabbage. This would make the diet about 28% lean protein.

-PK

P.S. If you are perverse enough to insist on mixing grams and stones ... your recommended protein intake on this protocol is 9.5g per stone.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I see, I was thinking you were using the body building range for protein (1.5 g per lb of the LBM), not the average of the 1.5 g per kilo. Sorry, my bad. I am usually in the 1 to 1.5 g per lb LBM protein, so understandable.

And I will NEVER mix in stones in. Gods, lbs is enough! I grew up happily without even suspecting there were lbs... then I came to Canada. Yakes.

P.S. Inches are worse. I am 169 cm tall that makes me 5'6 and 1/2" tall. Argh. I never know what to do with that half inch. Normally, I err on the side of caution, doing everything as per 5'6". But I know it's imprecise. It gnaws at me. An inch is HUGE compared to a cm.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-27-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    It sounds good, and looks good on paper. The trouble is, I could eat the mousse and then be hungry again in a few hours. The frittata, with two cans of tuna and eggs and tators, I could eat over the course of the day and be full.

And I might be full on the mousee also. Will have to try it sometime But I am thinking even if I ate it over the course of the day, I would still be going to bed hungry and dreaming of wanting more. I can't say I have ever dreamed of tators
    I suspect you are right, but essentially, the reason for that is that the frittata is double the mass of ingested food, and that's where we come full ( pun kinda sorta intended ) circle to understanding the mechanism behind the potato diet.

My thinking is that it is mostly due to involuntary caloric restriction as a result of the lack of nutritional density of potatoes, coupled with the satiety effects of a truly monotonous diet. You just get fed up with potatoes so the mere thought of eating more is enough to turn you off eating.

Now if this is the case, that the satiety comes from adding bulk, not anything magical having to do with potatoes, there are options to "fleshing out" the mousse. For example, cauliflower and cabbage are particularly devoid of nutrients. So, one could easily puree 1 kg. of cauliflower and add that to the mousse for 250 kcal., 20g of protein, and 50g of carbohydrates. Of course, you would have to adjust some of the other ingredients, and maybe throw in some psyllium husk for empty bulk, but I bet I could whip something up for you that would be both extremely filling and choc full o'chocolatey goodness. But all of this presupposes that one is willing to let go of the potato dogma.

-PK

Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    but I bet I could whip something up for you that would be both extremely filling and choc full o'chocolatey goodness. But all of this presupposes that one is willing to let go of the potato dogma.

-PK
    K well, Fed Ex can have it here in time for a late breakfast in the morning. I would make the sacrifice of eating lots'o chocolate for the sake of science.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Heh, 2 cans of tuna + 18 squares of chocolate sounds like a 'a marine stranded in a dessert kindda diet' and it has perfect macros, LOL!

Just check it out:

935 calories, 50 g fat, 51 g carbs and 72 g protein. (48:22:31 in % of macros).

That goes to show that you can build the most ridiculous diet imaginable. I want to see the satiety on this schedule. Gonna try it tomorrow. If I have 18 squares of chocolate, LOL!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Great to see your detailed results pklopp, well documented and well executed.
    It could have been better with more BF% measurements though

Oh and Leida, be careful with the 18 squares of chocolate, you could have theobromine toxicity. I'm very sensitive to caffeine and I know that if I eat too much chocolate I get dizzy.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast