Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato diet - Epic Fail, Glorious Victory page 4

Rookie is offline Junior Member
    Otzi, I've never really had anything worth saying and haven't done much looking around the forums til recently.

jakey, I'm pretty stoked to be honest. I've leaned out a lot more than I expected (especially back, legs and stomach areas) and during the week I don't have to think about food preparation at all and it's freed up a couple of hours a week. On top of that, potatoes are damn cheap. My food bill is significantly cheaper and so I spend some of that saving on nicer cuts of meat and grabbing some seafood (which would normally be too expensive).

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i came here to make fun of these stupid diet hacks, again. but i can't think of anything funny. but i would like my asshole-ish intentions to be noted, cause these threads are all really, really stupid.

are any of you people happier doing one of these 'hacks' where you eat only potatoes, or only potatoes, tuna & egg whites? it's way more fun to eat food, you know, like different types of food... or to be able to go out and eat with other people. try it.
    *high fives and fist bumps*

This is all so ridiculous.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't see the point of this. It doesn't follow the guidelines.

1.) You didn't eat a high carbohydrate diet. You ate a low fat diet. You bulked it with outside protein. The initial thread said throwing in even greens like peppers was enough to throw stuff off. You didn't follow the diet at all. This is enough to disqualify the whole thread, but I'll continue because the other errors are glaring.
    I didn't bulk anything with protein, rather, the bulk came from nutrient devoid things like rice and potatoes. Study after study shows that in order to ensure protein retention while in a significant caloric deficit you need approximately 1.5 - 1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight . High protein / high calorie is a completely different beast from high protein / caloric deficit. If you hold protein intake constant _and_ caloric intake constant, you must trade CHO for fat. That is the only thing possible. If you know of another way to do that within those constraints, I'd be curious to hear it.

2.) While your diet more closely mirrors a high protein diet than a high carbohydrate diet, you clearly were eating more carbs on average than normal, particularly relative to your normal macros. You clearly put on water weight, which is why you saw an initial decrease in weight followed by an increase. You dumped water initially due to a caloric deficit, then you stabilized and your glycogen reserves pumped up.
    This explanation conveniently ignores the results with rice CHO and it also begs the question as to what exactly I was oxidizing for energy while storing all of this glucose as glycogen? Again, I'm open to your suggestions.

3.) Your high fat follow through simply caused all the excess water weight you were carrying to be purged, resulting in a huge release of water with the low carbohydrate AND low calorie count.

When I did the UD2, after my 1000g carb-up, I'd be 143 lbs. Come Wednesday after I went on <50g of carbs per day with 4 hours of hideous glyocgen-depletion workouts, I'd drop 11 lbs. It was 10 lbs of water, 1 lb of fat due to my caloric deficit. Nothing shocking.
    1000g of carbs over how many days? A weekend, most likely. If that's the case, you were putting away 2000 kcal of CHO a day, and probably more calories than that overall since I doubt you were just eating carbs. The CHO alone already puts you 33% more in terms of calories as compared to my approach and a whopping 250% more in terms of the CHO consumed per day. I have no doubt that you were a walking water balloon.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    are any of you people happier doing one of these 'hacks' where you eat only potatoes, or only potatoes, tuna & egg whites? it's way more fun to eat food, you know, like different types of food... or to be able to go out and eat with other people. try it.
    See, the whole point of the experiment was to prove that a calorie restricted diet is a calorie restricted diet, and therefore, an all chocolate diet ( with adequate protein ) would be fungible with an all potato diet. I was really looking forward to that phase of the experiment! Unfortunately, the potato thing failed miserably and decimated the fungibility argument which threw the whole chocolate diet thing out with that bathwater.

-PK
    Last edited by pklopp; 11-26-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Paleobird Guest
    Hey, PK,

What would you say about an all egg diet? It seems to be the perfect balance of fat and protein with low carbs. And, like taters, it would be economical.

I could eat a dozen eggs a day and be stuffed while only having 840 calories plus cooking fat so say 1000 calories. That would be 500 below maintenance for me.

It might actually work. Hmmm.......

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    PK never said this was an "all potato diet".
    The thread title is "Potato diet - Epic Fail, Glorious Victory".

So I think that it certainly implies that, even if it doesn't explicitly state it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Hey, PK,

What would you say about an all egg diet? It seems to be the perfect balance of fat and protein with low carbs. And, like taters, it would be economical.

I could eat a dozen eggs a day and be stuffed while only having 840 calories plus cooking fat so say 1000 calories. That would be 500 below maintenance for me.

It might actually work. Hmmm.......
    There was an egg diet thread around a little bit a ago along wit the 3 potato threads... I dont recall the title.

I piped in on it once with one warning.
    I once read a thread on another weight loss forum where a bunch of ladies were doing an egg cooked in fat only weight loss hack and it had the very particular side effect of the screaming yellow two step.
    Like... of the maybe don't leave your house variety.

While the ladies did see good weight loss... they had trouble keeping up their appetite for eggs, and many succumbed to the 'side effect' after several days. I don't remember how many.

Careful... them eggs be dangerous! LOL

I've always been wary of too many eggs since reading that thread...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    The thread title is "Potato diet - Epic Fail, Glorious Victory".

So I think that it certainly implies that, even if it doesn't explicitly state it.
    potato diet=/=all potato diet. PK stated up front that he was not going to do exclusively potatoes. So when he refers to the "potato diet" not working, he is referring to HIS version. I just think this thread should be appreciated on it's own merits and people should stop accusing PK of not playing by "the rules". Whose rules? President Otzi's?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    There was an egg diet thread around a little bit a ago along wit the 3 potato threads... I dont recall the title.

I piped in on it once with one warning.
    I once read a thread on another weight loss forum where a bunch of ladies were doing an egg cooked in fat only weight loss hack and it had the very particular side effect of the screaming yellow two step.
    Like... of the maybe don't leave your house variety.

While the ladies did see good weight loss... they had trouble keeping up their appetite for eggs, and many succumbed to the 'side effect' after several days. I don't remember how many.

Careful... them eggs be dangerous! LOL

I've always been wary of too many eggs since reading that thread...
    Yeah, I think that thread was the one Gorbag did but that was eggs and potatoes. For the egg diet to really work you have to be a complete purist and eat nothing but eggs with a little salt and pepper.

Funny, I've never had an adverse reaction to eggs. When I was in my serious losing weight phase I routinely ate 6 for breakfast daily.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, I think that thread was the one Gorbag did but that was eggs and potatoes. For the egg diet to really work you have to be a complete purist and eat nothing but eggs with a little salt and pepper.

Funny, I've never had an adverse reaction to eggs. When I was in my serious losing weight phase I routinely ate 6 for breakfast daily.
    Yeah... from what I gathered on that thread it was from eating eggs and only eggs, mostly cooked in fat.
    Certainly didn't tempt me to try it, though I thing eggs are a lovely topping for protein when fried sunny!
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast