Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato diet - Epic Fail, Glorious Victory page 10

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    I was really excited when you started your experiment and really hoped it would work. I know the all-potato diet works, I don't know the limits or even underlying mechanisms. Certainly calorie restriction is paramount, but the hunger blunting effects/high satiety aspect of potato, reward theory, insulin response, ffa liberation, gut microflora signalling on simple starch, and the 'complete protein' content.

I'm very excited to see this getting attention and love watching people put their own spin on it. Ray Cronise gave me the first spark to do this, and the blog where he talks about it is now up to almost 500 comments, usually his blogs get like 50 comments. I think this potato diet will get scrutinized for a long time, but like I have said that no one can argue:

No other 'lose-weight-quick' hack that paleo has come up with works as fast or as reliably as a 1-2 week all-potato diet. IF, Cold Thermogenesis, ketogenic, fat fast, whole 30, warrior diet, Leptin Reset, CKD...none of them. They all work nicely, no doubt and most have good health benefits, but for a quick fat blaster--the all-potato diet is it!
    Last edited by otzi; 11-27-2012 at 09:08 PM.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    please don't speak on my behalf until i nominate you as an official spokesperson for me. I have not, nor do i intend to ever do so.

I didn't set out to debunk otzi's potato feast. I set out to try to come up with an explanation for what the underlying mechanism might be. If you are incapable of distinguishing between those two things, then we are too far apart to have a meaningful discussion.

I fully expected that this "hack" works as an involuntary caloric restriction diet. The very first post that otzi wrote explicitly advises people to not count calories and to eat until "full." this is pretty much a blaring alarm klaxon telling you that you're being lured into a calorie restricted diet.

Because of this analytical framework, i fully expected that any calorie restricted isocaloric diet would produce the same results, irrespective of macro nutrient composition. This explains my approach with the three phases. I was wrong. I surprised myself with the results. I'm sorry that they didn't correspond to mine, yours, or anyone else's preconceived notions, but that's the nature of the beast. Data doesn't generally lie.

Lastly, deconstruction is trivially easy, all it takes is to point your finger at someone and tell them they suck. Construction, on the other hand, requires a bit more effort. If you wish someone had done this with the genuine, full bore, otzi approved, all potato, all the time regimen, what exactly is stopping you from doing that? At the very least, i've made it easier for you by providing a template for how one might go about it. And again, let me repeat this ... For anyone that wants to do this, i will gladly help you with your data presentation, all you need to do is invest a modicum of effort.

-pk
    tl;dr

eta that if you had not decided to be so obnoxious then maybe people wouldn't have given you a hard time

just sayin
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to pklopp for the effort and the info. I consider it a community service. Hopefully there is more to come....

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting graphs, thank you. One thing that is missing is the prolongued stay in ketosis to mirror the prolongued stay in the high carb/low fat phase. I found for example that I did lose a lot of weight in the first 2 weeks on ketonic diet, but it inevitably climbed back in week 3 to 6. It might be that it takes longer for the body to create isostasis at the water depleted body or something.

But, that's siad, I beg you to stop eating at 1,500 calories, lol. You gonna die.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    tl;dr

eta that if you had not decided to be so obnoxious then maybe people wouldn't have given you a hard time
    just sayin
    I had to look up tl;dr in the urban dictionary to find out what it meant. No I'm not a big net person.

"Too long, didn't read". Really, Bloodorchid?

If Pk's post are long it is because they actually contain some content and, if you didn't read it, why are you even commenting on it?

He was never obnoxious. A little sarcastic perhaps but then who would you be to begrudge him that?

"tl;dr" is the ultimate in dismissive and just snotty.

PK has done some interesting work here. I and a lot of others appreciate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Really, Bloodorchid?
    for reference, i submit this

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread68571.html

here is my problem. it began as an experiment on the potato fast;

That's exactly the point. There is no magic in potatoes. Unless there is

-PK
    a short summation

but then we have this

Allow me to summarize: I am going to do a potato fast. I am going to monitor my caloric intake. I am going to eat at my calculated BMR requirement which should result in weight loss as I am not bed ridden. I am going to eat 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight, because I do not believe that potatoes magically preserve muscle mass in the face of woefully inadequate protein content. I am going to chronicle this on my own website where I can keep the insipid comments to a minimum, hopefully.
    so you're not even going to do it right?

it can't be called a potato fast then and any positive or negative results won't be applicable to the potato thread
    Whatever your forte may be, reading comprehension is not it.
    i can too read

this is just in the first handful of posts. like i have said, more than once, if you're going to set out to debunk it then DEBUNK IT. not something you decided to make up, and then say 'ii did it exactly right'

THAT is my problem. THAT is what is bugging me. i don't give two shts in a high wind what he eats, i don't care about his torso. my PROBLEM, and my ONLY problem, is that he's not debunking what he says he is debunking

and the reason i am now in snark mode is that people keep coming in to say 'keep up the good work, haters gonna hate', when i and others are not hating on what he did, but HOW he did it

my problem with this is that if you are going to make a presentation on something, do it right.

if my written attitude seems efflusively antagonistic, it's because people refuse to read what i write and instead post 'lol hater'

and that's really annoying
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

pklopp is offline Senior Member

i can too read

this is just in the first handful of posts. like i have said, more than once, if you're going to set out to debunk it then DEBUNK IT. not something you decided to make up, and then say 'ii did it exactly right'

THAT is my problem. THAT is what is bugging me. i don't give two shts in a high wind what he eats, i don't care about his torso. my PROBLEM, and my ONLY problem, is that he's not debunking what he says he is debunking

and the reason i am now in snark mode is that people keep coming in to say 'keep up the good work, haters gonna hate', when i and others are not hating on what he did, but HOW he did it

my problem with this is that if you are going to make a presentation on something, do it right.

if my written attitude seems efflusively antagonistic, it's because people refuse to read what i write and instead post 'lol hater'

and that's really annoying
    I have to say, that for you to complain about people refusing to read what you write, precisely after proudly boasting of how you didn't read a post because it was too long ( 200 words or so ) and then commenting on the post that you didn't read ... maybe you found that your hypocrisy muscles were atrophying and felt compelled to give them a workout. Of course, if that is the case, please ensure to take in adequate amounts of hypocrisy protein, and don't train your hypocrisy more than every other day to avoid over training.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Of course i read it, i was just butthurt that i didn't get the job as your official spokesman
    beautiful
    yeah you are

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Of course i read it, i was just butthurt that i didn't get the job as your official spokesman
    Aha, hypocrisy hemorrhoids ...

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Aha, hypocrisy hemorrhoids ...

-PK
    Still ignoring the main point tho
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast