Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NP doesn't think this is sucess, wants statins page

momrn is offline Member

NP doesn't think this is sucess, wants statins

Which we will refuse, even if it means getting the boot from the practice.

This DH's cholesterol over the past year

10/21/11 4/24/12 10/29/12

Tot 234 217 227

Trigs 122 129 112

HDL 38 46 48

VLDL 24 26 22

LDL 172 145 151

HDL/LDL 4.5 3.2 3.1

Trigs/HDL 6.5 4.7 4.7

Total/HDL 6 4 4.7

I calculated the Trigs/HDL and Total/HDL based on what I have read here and elsewhere. If you find an error, please correct me. I am trying really hard to understand this as the only things we were taught to look at in nursing school was Total and LDL. I think this panel looks GREAT! There is room for improvement, but this to me looks like a positive trend. He takes two drugs that are taxing on his liver already. There is no way we are adding a statin into the mix.

I am preparing a letter to send to her. I would like to be diplomatic and preserve our relationship. I don't think much of her skills, BUT she generally does what we ask without much fuss. We are managing multiple issues and I don't want to start over with someone new.

What would you say to her?

I was unsure where to put this to get the most help, but it really is a success story. Oy, if you'd seen his eating habits before! He lived on Pepsi and crackers and the one good meal a day at home.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I don't think they can refuse you service for disagreeing... If they can, that's pretty awful! I would just say, "I feel like it shows an overall positive trend of improvement and we've decided not to use statins."
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

momrn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I don't think they can refuse you service for disagreeing... If they can, that's pretty awful! I would just say, "I feel like it shows an overall positive trend of improvement and we've decided not to use statins."
    Thanks for the response!

I haven't know of it personally, only secondhand. I don't think doctors are required to treat anyone in a non-emergent situation. It's the right to refuse service.

I'm wondering if I should keep it short and sweet, or include the chart above for her?

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    You can alway smile and nod, take the prescription, and never fill it.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    So, new Doctor. But first toy around with this one. Ask why cholesterol numbers, a reliable predictor of NOTHING, warrant the consumption of a known nerve-degenerating substance. Ask what the point of destroying the body is, even if if it DID help the heart - which it doesn't, except in men over 50 who have already had one heart attack.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Not that I am all that politically correct, but I think there are 2 ways you could handle this.

One is to do just exactly what Primal Mama suggests, and thank the kind NP for the script and never fill it.

The other which I would be more likely to do, is print a crap load of medical studies that show the ill-effects of statins and give that to the NP and say that the risks of the liver damage is not a risk you are willing to take.

Another thing to keep in mind is that MDs are businesses, just like Wal-Mart or any Mom-and-Pop shop. They have to have customers to keep the doors open. Feel free to find another doc. Unless you live in Smallville, there are others to be found....

momrn is offline Member
    That's what we did the first time, Primal Mama! And he got scared into action. The second panel is a result of the huge changes he made to his diet. It's funny, the nurse practitioner called the second panel "excellent" and told us to keep doing what we were doing. Now the third panel doesn't look that different and she's insisting on statins?

We won't voluntarily leave the practice. I don't know how I would find anyone better. He has a complicated history that I have fought to manage effectively for a long time. We've come so far with this WOE! I need to address this with her and let her know that he will not be taking statins ever and deal with the fallout, if there is any.

I came here for some reassurance that it does look like a positive trend. I think I will go into some detail with her. We've been at this practice for years, and honestly, she could really use some help herself. I imagine she is on statins.

Thanks for the support!

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    In the Autism community, I have certainly seen MDs ask patients to go elsewhere for care (vaccine controversy). I doubt an NP or MD would do the same for refusal of a statin, however.

I think you are on the right track and are doing absolutely the right thing by avoiding yet another medication that requires proper liver function. You can have your husband decline the meds at this point because the dietary changes seem to be working.

Try tons of coconut oil. Tons of it. My LDLs went down and my HDLs went up in the past year. Trigs down, too. I had a great cholesterol panel before that (wanted to raise my total chol which I kind of did on PB) but I was impressed by the changes. A statin drug will only affect the ratio between HDL/LDL in a negative way from what I've seen with my DH. His LDLs have gone down but so have his HDLs. Not good, since those protective HDLs were already on the low end. My DH is an MD so I have no luck talking to him. I've witnessed his father cognitively decline over the past 20 years on statins/very low fat diet and it is painful. I talk to my DH about his dad a ton to hopefully keep my DH on a higher fat diet. Doctors are a pain in the ass to marry!

My biggest suggestion is to have your DH deal with the refusal. You act as the back-up.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

momrn is offline Member
    Thanks for the response and encouragement, PHaselow. I feel certain we are on the right track, as well. He didn't believe he could ever recover from his health issues, but he cannot deny the progress.

I needed the reminder for the coconut oil. We were using lots of it, and just got out of the habit.

We've seen the same cognitive issue with his mom. HOWEVER, she recently decided to listen to me and her optometrist and add healthy fats and drop grains. She saw an amazing 45 point drop in her TC. She told me she had a normal cholesterol panel for the first time in years. Next will be convincing her to drop the statin.

As far as the last suggestion- I wish. But this is an old marriage. He is who he is; I am who I am. He needs me to do this for him, and I have accepted that. It's a strength/weakness that mostly works for us.

arevinotion is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    me too, I have accepted that. It's a strength/weakness that mostly works for us. thanks for your sharing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast