Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venison!! page

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

Venison!!

Shop Now
    One deer harvested and hanging and I'm headed out to the barn to skin it! hooray for wild-"pastured" meat in our freezer again!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

fateater is offline Member
    Oh lucky you! I'm envious, as a city livin' gal now I've lost touch with the hunting. Skinning and deboning a deer was one of my all time favorite activities to do with my Dad when I was younger. I never actually shot the deer, or gutted it - but everything else all the way to the freezer was my job

Congrats! I hope to get my first of the year back from the processor today.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    I had to hunt and gather at my local farmers market! Made a very tasty stew though.

otzi Guest
    Usually when people home-process a deer, they take all the meat off the bone as opposed to sawing the bones with a bone saw. These bones usually get thrown away because they are hard to deal with. If you normally don't use them, try this:

Take all the big, long leg bones to a butcher, ask him to saw them up into 2" pieces. Put the pieces in a hot oven or even gas grill and brown for a while, then freeze. Use these frozen pieces of bone for your bone broth. Suck out the tasty marrow. Better than any grass-fed beef or chicken stock. Amazing how much gelatin is on those deer knuckles.

Shelly6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Usually when people home-process a deer, they take all the meat off the bone as opposed to sawing the bones with a bone saw. These bones usually get thrown away because they are hard to deal with. If you normally don't use them, try this:

Take all the big, long leg bones to a butcher, ask him to saw them up into 2" pieces. Put the pieces in a hot oven or even gas grill and brown for a while, then freeze. Use these frozen pieces of bone for your bone broth. Suck out the tasty marrow. Better than any grass-fed beef or chicken stock. Amazing how much gelatin is on those deer knuckles.
    Good hunting practice, too! Use every last scrap...

I don't know any hunters, but usually the butcher has left-overs at the end of the processing season, or last years meat that goes for next to nothing. I got about 30 lbs of venison a few years ago for about 10 bucks!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    went hunting last night with my son but the deer are coming out after dark and mostly feeding on acorns right now. I dont' know if you are into this sort of primitive skills stuff but, since you're up in Pennsylvanian I know someone who teaches primitive skills and is quite good at it. They are in Great Meadows, NJ Welcome to Practical Primitive
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    congrats. i've only taken one so far this year, but i can't wait to get more. i have let about 4-5 doe walk because i wasn't 100% thrilled with the shot. i also let one go last week because there was a nice buck following her through the valley. alas, it got dark before he made his way in to shooting range. oh well. enjoy the venison

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Usually when people home-process a deer, they take all the meat off the bone as opposed to sawing the bones with a bone saw. These bones usually get thrown away because they are hard to deal with.
    i axe mine and give them to the dog. i make broth from the smaller bones like the neck and spine. i dont consider giving anything to the dog a waste so there is always zero waste.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i axe mine and give them to the dog. i make broth from the smaller bones like the neck and spine. i dont consider giving anything to the dog a waste so there is always zero waste.
    Grill up some of those long leg bones and dig the marrow out when it's all bubbly...you'll never give them to the dog again! Give him the bone after you've gotten all the marrow out. Unless he's a 250 pound malemute, I doubt he can crack the bones and get the marrow, so it might as well go to you. Deer marrow is like the tastiest butter you can imagine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast