Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Venison!! page 2

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    No fair I want to shoot and eat a bambi too, I love venison sooooo much.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    No fair I want to shoot and eat a bambi too, I love venison sooooo much.
    When I lived in the UK, I shot more deer than in US. Go buy a shooting magazine and and look in the back at ads for 'herd culling' or 'stalking' in Scotland. I used to shoot a couple fallow deer every year near Bury St. Edmunds. Once the deer is down, it is weighed and you can pay the gamekeeper for the meat. Either butcher yourself or take to a butcher shop.

Your local constable can help with firearm license at requirements for having a firearm, but I found it all fairly easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    When I lived in the UK, I shot more deer than in US. Go buy a shooting magazine and and look in the back at ads for 'herd culling' or 'stalking' in Scotland. I used to shoot a couple fallow deer every year near Bury St. Edmunds. Once the deer is down, it is weighed and you can pay the gamekeeper for the meat. Either butcher yourself or take to a butcher shop.

Your local constable can help with firearm license at requirements for having a firearm, but I found it all fairly easy to do.
    Thank's I'll look into shooting magazines and on the web, can't afford a licence or a gun or the meat, but I could at least look into it, then maybe just sneek off with a cross-bow and big bag.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Thank's I'll look into shooting magazines and on the web, can't afford a licence or a gun or the meat, but I could at least look into it, then maybe just sneek off with a cross-bow and big bag.
    Beware of fat, bald monks with big sticks if you go that route...

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    Had some venison at a restaurant out in western Massachusetts this weekend that was absolutely delicious. The owner of the restaurant actually shot the deer the previous day.

I haven't been hunting in a decade. Might be time to get my licenses and gear up. Very cheap way to get some good quality meat.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Grill up some of those long leg bones and dig the marrow out when it's all bubbly...you'll never give them to the dog again! Give him the bone after you've gotten all the marrow out. Unless he's a 250 pound malemute, I doubt he can crack the bones and get the marrow, so it might as well go to you. Deer marrow is like the tastiest butter you can imagine.
    my dog is a very spoilt deer dog but we do have fights over deer organs. i have never seen him so interested in what i am cooking if i cook venison liver. and the hearts lmao. the first one i decided to be brave. half for him, half for me. i gave him his half which he didnt wolf down as he is not a greedy animal at all. i cooked mine and started eating it as he decided to start on his. i so very nearly wrestled his half back out of his jaws and gave him a steak instead! only one heart and one liver per animal after all.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i axe mine and give them to the dog. i make broth from the smaller bones like the neck and spine. i dont consider giving anything to the dog a waste so there is always zero waste.
    If you live near any place that has the Chronic Wasting Disease, you may do well to reverse what you do. Spinal cord and brains can have that nasty reversed prion that causes it. Mad Cow was a prion disease, and was shown to be able to cross species. There have been a couple of suspected cases of people with Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease (the human version of the backwards protein) that it has been suspected, but not confirmed that it came from deer with Chronic Wasting.

My husband has been doing research on prion diseases for the last 8 years or so. Yes, we still venison and elk when we can, but we do the butchering ourselves to make sure there is no contamination from spine or brains.

Love the heart, liver and kidneys though!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    good to know about the marrow. Love marrow! I guess I would have thought it might be less desirable in taste? ...like the deer tallow can be. We absolutely LOVE venison RIBS! So many people throw those away...amazing!!!

I didnt shoot this one...Hubby got another before sundown so my youngest son (6) and I just finished skinning her! We are lucky to get some DMAP tags that let us harvest a few extra since we own 40 acres. My growing boys ate through three deer last year--didnt quite make it a full year. Hoping we get at least one more this season!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    If you live near any place that has the Chronic Wasting Disease, you may do well to reverse what you do.
    we are in aotearoa, no mad cows here. i love venison tallow and the rinds after you have rendered it.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Beware of fat, bald monks with big sticks if you go that route...
    I suspect they are pretty tasty too
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast