Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to add muscle but also lose body fat page

Chippersnorkler is offline Junior Member

Trying to add muscle but also lose body fat

Primal Fuel
    I'm lifting weights but also trying to lose body fat. So long as I get enough protein to build muscle am I correct in thinking that I can still reduce calories/carbs in order to lose the fat?

Diogenes is offline Member
    It's not that simple. Your body will want to use the extra protein as fuel. A lot depends on your unique metabolism. If you figure out how to add muscle while losing fat, let me know.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Yes, if you are an over-weight novice with a lot of fat to lose. No, if you are an advanced trainee with average body fat %.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I've added a lot of muscle and lost a lot of fat at the same time. I generally eat one big meal a day, starting with a pound of meat (steak, chicken, fish or bacon, etc) cooked in tallow or bacon grease, then some eggs and/or avocados, oysters, berries, spinach, nuts once a week on average, bone broth, seaweed, leafy greens, a green apple, etc. The biggest key for me was the pound of meat and fasting for most of the 23 hours to come. I never limit protein, and I never limit coffee. Lift heavy, do basic bodyweight exercises, and sprint once a week. Everything else is fluff.

Also, no dairy unless you want to add body fat.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Over the years I've become convinced that the idea that you can't lose fat while gaining muscle is CW bullcrap. Competitive bodybuilders might need to do bulk/cut cycles, but your average to above-average athlete should be fine doing both at the same time if they're doing nutrition right.

Fat Head Losing Fat While Gaining Muscle

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Anothony, most people are reading articles meant for serious athletes or bodybuilders. Most people would make gains just fine by eating right, lots of eggs and meats and post workout potatoes and rest. Love carb, high protien. Low doesn't mean NO carbs keep in mind.

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    i'm not really sure on this, but i'm overweight and i went over to my friends house, which i haven't been over to in a while, and her mom said it looked like i've been working out a lot. i've stayed about the same weight and i've gotten the compliment from a few different people so my guess would be you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

Chaloney is offline Member
    Google leangains

RobbyJ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Over the years I've become convinced that the idea that you can't lose fat while gaining muscle is CW bullcrap. Competitive bodybuilders might need to do bulk/cut cycles, but your average to above-average athlete should be fine doing both at the same time if they're doing nutrition right.

Fat Head Losing Fat While Gaining Muscle
    +1

I started a training program at my gym with the following stats (via a reliable test):
    202lbs
    18.9% Body Fat

After about 5 weeks of 3x30m metcons at around 80-90% of "max hr".. and one heavy lifting day most weeks when I had the energy..
    202lbs
    15.4% body fat.

That's about a 7lb increase in lean mass, and simultaneous 7lb loss in fat. I ate about 2-3lbs of meat per day and a lot of veggies, with some extra carbs in the post-workout window. Also a decent amount of fat, about 1/4 cup coconut oil and a large avocado per day, plus olive oil on salad and some almonds.

It was a LOT of work, and I was hungry quite a bit. In my opinion, my body grew muscles first because I needed to develop them quite a bit for my workouts. That's just a gut feelings so take it for what it's worth, but that's how I made sense of it!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's about a 7lb increase in lean mass, and simultaneous 7lb loss in fat. I ate about 2-3lbs of meat per day and a lot of veggies, with some extra carbs in the post-workout window. Also a decent amount of fat, about 1/4 cup coconut oil and a large avocado per day, plus olive oil on salad and some almonds.
    I second that prescription!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast