Thread: Bread, Cheese and Alcohol. Yum! but not for me? page

Charlie Primal is offline Junior Member

Bread, Cheese and Alcohol. Yum! but not for me?

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone know why some people can seem to power down things like wheat and dairy without any negative effects?

I have a few mates who can eat nothing but pizza, chips, cereal and beer and be fine. Whereas I feel like crap if I eat stuff like that. I also have Swizz family who eat basically bread, cheese and wine and are really healthy. What's going on??

Is it to do with gut health and stuff like that? or is it more that their ancestors 'evolved' to digest these things better.

Cheers,

Charlie

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I used to love French stick, cheese & wine. I also ate pizza, pasta, chips & porridge (not necessarily together) and drank beer. Loved the taste of it all. Didn't feel bad, but, I used to get ravenous at 12:00 and 17:00. I went Primal Lite in March and started to lose weight. I now do not need to eat as much or so regularly.

People may eat stuff that is harming them over the long term without externally exhibiting signs that something is wrong. I used to regularly (& often) get colds. I have not had one since March even though my wife has (she's still on grains etc). In the old days, I would certainly have caught any cold she brought into the house.

One of the reasons I cut out grains is because my older daughter is Coeliac, and, when I read TPB it made me realise that perhaps it may be a good idea for my body to have no grains. Mind you, I do still have the very occasional white rice or rice noodles in a dish that my wife makes. At Christmas I will also have Yorkshire pudding, christmas pudding and christmas cake just because they taste so good. I am undecided about mince pies and will see how I feel Christmas Day.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I think it's absolutely gut health. I used to be able to eat that stuff no problem. Then I started getting yeast infections all the time. Taking supplements to manage a candida overgrowth helped, but then I started to toss in more and more processed foods again and it was worse than ever. If I eat too much omega-6 or bad oils, my knees and hands hurt. My mood plummets. Acne returns. If I eat "clean", it's all fine. Taking supplements to manage the bacteria levels in my gut seems to help all the side effects, but it's a slow journey. Do yourself a favor and don't mess with something that works.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hmmm I was recently diagnosed with candida overgrowth (as I have multiple allergies and a fungal infection) but didn't really believe them. Is this actually a real condition/problem? If so did you find eating primal was better than taking medication etc. Also what supplements are good for gut health? Mine seems a bit poor.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I used to love French stick, cheese & wine. I also ate pizza, pasta, chips & porridge (not necessarily together) and drank beer. Loved the taste of it all. Didn't feel bad, but, I used to get ravenous at 12:00 and 17:00. I went Primal Lite in March and started to lose weight. I now do not need to eat as much or so regularly.

People may eat stuff that is harming them over the long term without externally exhibiting signs that something is wrong. I used to regularly (& often) get colds. I have not had one since March even though my wife has (she's still on grains etc). In the old days, I would certainly have caught any cold she brought into the house.

One of the reasons I cut out grains is because my older daughter is Coeliac, and, when I read TPB it made me realise that perhaps it may be a good idea for my body to have no grains. Mind you, I do still have the very occasional white rice or rice noodles in a dish that my wife makes. At Christmas I will also have Yorkshire pudding, christmas pudding and christmas cake just because they taste so good. I am undecided about mince pies and will see how I feel Christmas Day.
    Ah OK, so it's probably a good thing to avoid it all anyway. It's interesting that you been eating primal and haven't had a cold since March. Pretty cool.

Yeah I'm at uni in my twenties and eating primal doesn't really fit the uni scene that well, but I'm doing my best! It does seem like it is the way to go in the long term.