Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm 15, girl, should I do body weight exercises? page 3

Vhs19 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    There is nothing wrong with being short. Its just that I have this dream. And by the way, thanks guys for your informations. They are really helpful
    Last edited by Vhs19; 11-27-2012 at 04:28 PM.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    Yes, absolutely, do body weight exercises.

A given exercise being for men or women is nonsense. Everyone should aspire to be able to do "guy" pushups simply as a measure/demonstration of practical strength.

Many girls worry about building too much muscle - this will not happen, as it generally requires years of concerted effort in terms of both exercise and nutrition. What might happen is you will get toned!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Please have a look at the articles I linked above. The idea that lifting weights stunts growth is really a myth.
    Well as I said, it's a long time since I read it, but it's always sort of stayed with me! (Could have been 20+ years ago... and I remember seeing this article about this boy who was about 6 and worked out with heavy weights, and how he wasn't growing properly etc. etc. he was bizarrely ripped for a little kid!!).

Anyways... I digress. If there really IS no link, then go for it. But still... I dunno, if you're super short, then I'd err on the side of caution (yeah, yeah... old paranoias die hard, as a super short person myself I wouldn't risk it! Not that it matters now I'm old, so I'll lift as heavy as I like).

Anyway, all beside the point, given that the OP was talking about bodyweight exercises rather than deadlifting twice her body weight!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123