Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm 15, girl, should I do body weight exercises? page 2

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, a 15 year old girl can absolutely start lifting real weights. I'd recommend starting with bodyweight and working up to legit weights before too long.

JenniRose is offline Junior Member
    Yes the benefits are great for starting early with body weight exercises. I think the question is if you have a supervisor/trainer or somebody else who is knowledgeable?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    NOW is the time to push calcium into your bones. Get plenty of exercise and eat a LOT of vitamin K2, D and other supporting nutrients. I didn't start until 25, and I do wish I'd had that extra decade to build by body right.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Huntress is offline Junior Member
    You should totally start body weight and lifting weights in your teens! It will strengthen your bones, improve your posture, make you more confident in your appearance and by having long term good quality muscles from your teens, through your 20s and beyond make you look better even if you do put on a few extra kilos at times. I've found as I've gotten older even if I have had periods of not training I maintain a toned looking physique.

You don't need to be a body builder and look like a bloke to have sleek, toned and strong feminine muscles from body weight training and weights.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    have you started menstruating? If so, I hate to break it to you, but you're probably done (or an inch or two away from done) growing taller.

I lifted weights and did body-weight exercises throughout high school (so... 13-17, I have a late birthday), and did gymnastics from age 14-20, including coaching lots of kids (which always included body-weight conditioning as well as apparatus activities)... anything where you lift, push, pull your own weight should be fine as long as you're not maniacal about it (google "exercise bulimia"), weights you need to be a little more careful about, but at 15, you should be fine with those too.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    have you started menstruating? If so, I hate to break it to you, but you're probably done (or an inch or two away from done) growing taller.

I lifted weights and did body-weight exercises throughout high school (so... 13-17, I have a late birthday), and did gymnastics from age 14-20, including coaching lots of kids (which always included body-weight conditioning as well as apparatus activities)... anything where you lift, push, pull your own weight should be fine as long as you're not maniacal about it (google "exercise bulimia"), weights you need to be a little more careful about, but at 15, you should be fine with those too.
    Not always. I grew six inches between 15 and 18, after starting menstruation at 14. Most girls slow down after, but some of us still grow quite a bit into our later teens. I'd resigned myself to being short and was quite astonished to grow more.

The most recent research I've read shows that resistance training (including lifting weights) does not generally impact growth and can have multiple benefits for teens, so I would not be concerned about that particularly past the early stages of puberty. A couple of review articles:

Weight training in youth-growth, maturation... [Clin J Sport Med. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
    Youth resistance training: updated posit... [J Strength Cond Res. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI
    Resistance training among young athletes: sa... [Br J Sports Med. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Not always. I grew six inches between 15 and 18, after starting menstruation at 14. Most girls slow down after, but some of us still grow quite a bit into our later teens. I'd resigned myself to being short and was quite astonished to grow more.
    dang you outliers! (I was done growing upwards at age 11) :-D

Iron Fireling is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    And what is wrong with being short, huh?
    It majorly sucks . (Sorry couldn't resist... I'm super short so yeah...)

Anyhoo... As far as I'm aware bodyweight exercises are excellent, no matter how tall or short you are! However, I have heard that lifting heavy weights can cause growth stunting in teens and therefore should be avoided (not sure how heavy we are talking though...). It's been awhile since I heard about it, but I've always been aware of it (being a shorty and all) and I certainly would discourage my short teenage son from lifting heavy as a result . BUT at the same time I think doing plenty of bodyweight exercises is not a problem AT ALL!!

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post

Anyhoo... As far as I'm aware bodyweight exercises are excellent, no matter how tall or short you are! However, I have heard that lifting heavy weights can cause growth stunting in teens and therefore should be avoided (not sure how heavy we are talking though...). It's been awhile since I heard about it, but I've always been aware of it (being a shorty and all) and I certainly would discourage my short teenage son from lifting heavy as a result . BUT at the same time I think doing plenty of bodyweight exercises is not a problem AT ALL!!
    Lifting doesn't stunt growth, especially in a 15 year old girl. If she wants to get strong, especially for sports, she should lift weights or do intense bodyweight exercises.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post

Please have a look at the articles I linked above. The idea that lifting weights stunts growth is really a myth.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast