Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weirdly intimidated by heavy kettlebells... page

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member

Weirdly intimidated by heavy kettlebells...

Primal Fuel
    Well not super heavy ones... just ones 16kg and over.

Not sure if I can explain it... but I feel sort of reluctant to use kettlebells over 12kg (although I used a 16kg one for awhile today) (btw I do CrossFit). The recommended weight for women is usually 20kg... and I just can NOT see myself ever swinging a 20kg kettlebell!

However, I'm not intimidated by using a 20kg bar and lifting it above my head... just the kettlebell. It's weird.

Any advice??! (I feel like a kettlebell phobic :P).

The stupid thing is, I used 12kg kettlebells my very first session (almost 3 months ago), and I've gone up in all my other weights... but really just feel nervous at trying heavier kettlebells. It's stupid...

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    *yanks up britches* YOU GET OUT THERE AND YOU PICK THAT 'BELL UP AND YOU SWING IT! YOU SWING IT GOOD! REAL GOOD! LIKE YOU MEAN IT! LIKE YOU'RE GONNA SHOW IT WHO'S BOSS!

does that help?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Remember the kettlebell swing is a great exercise, but you need to safely challenge yourself. You are paying a lot for crossfit, get your money's worth! I swing the 20k one handed and the 22k 2 handed.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't sweat it.

Half the people swinging the big ones are not even doing it right anyway.

Focus on form and go at your own speed i say.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice . I think I'll try and take it one step at a time and not even look at that scary 20kg one for awhile yet! I need to get comfortable with the good old 16... (and rely on the trusty 12 when I need it!!).

JadeAthena is offline Junior Member
    I've had the same mental block. Grab a heavier kettlebell for a WOD and use it as long as you can, then switch to a lighter kettlebell. Also, your grip might be the issue, so chalk your hands so the sweat doen't affect it.

sezzajezza84 is offline Junior Member
    wow, I feel kind of weak now haha. 20kg is recommended for women? I use 12 kg for 2 armed swings and sumo deadlift high pulls, and 10 kg for one-armed swings. I even go as low as 8 if we're doing minute rounds (so really high reps).

Is there a trainer you could pull aside for 30minutes or so to check out your form and go over progressions?

donaldroche847 is offline Junior Member
    Good advice JennGlob, Thanks. I also swing the 20k one handed and the 22k 2 handed.

JimmyDamage is offline Senior Member
    Since you do crossfit you're probably doing American swings, completely vertical lockout. To become more comfortable with heavier weights stay after the wod and do a few sets of Russian swings with 1 pood/1.5 pood. These you only have to swing them parallel with the ground, about as high as your eyes. My gym just got a 100lber and I can tell you it's helped me get way more comfortable with the 2 pood weight for WODs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast