Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Question of Hunger - What do You All Think? page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

A Question of Hunger - What do You All Think?

Primal Fuel
    I was reading this: Your Key to Safe Fasting | AllAboutFasting and this exerpt caught my eye:

True hunger is a sensation in the mouth and throat, similar to thirst, and not a gnawing pain in the stomach. The way it will get your attention is that comes after many days of experiencing no hunger. Seemingly out of the blue, you'll have an intense desire for food.

When food is taken at this point, it tastes extraordinarily wonderful, a real sensual treat. And the act of eating itself is fulfilling, creating feelings of contentment and pleasure. This is the experience eating is supposed to be.
    Since I've struggled with weight issues all my life, I'm asking you all (especially those for whom weight isn't much of an issue) what you think of that? Is that true? Is that when "normal" weight people eat?

Those two paragraphs are in a context of fasting, but I guess I never thought to ask people who are "naturally" a good weight what hunger feels like to them.

Thanks in advance for any input.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    That sounds exactly opposite to what I experience "true hunger" vs. "food craving" as.

There's no mention here of the literal tummy rumbles that accompany stomach-based hunger. I wonder why?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    That sounds exactly opposite to what I experience "true hunger" vs. "food craving" as.

There's no mention here of the literal tummy rumbles that accompany stomach-based hunger. I wonder why?
    Me too. That definition seems to be more mental/emotional need for food. It's when the tummy seriously rumbles so that other people in the room can hear it that you are genuinely hungry, IMO.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    For me I know I'm 'hungry' when I start getting frustrated, short tempered or whiney. I rarely actually feel hungry.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I rarely feel hungry myself. I know it though by my attitude getting short, angry, frustrated, I can't concentrate on anything... And then, suddenly, after I eat, I am a joy to be around once more.

Or so people tell me after a good meal.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm not bothered by hunger. I can tell true hunger when my stomach is growling for food. Anything else is just a craving.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    For me I know I'm 'hungry' when I start getting frustrated, short tempered or whiney. I rarely actually feel hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I rarely feel hungry myself. I know it though by my attitude getting short, angry, frustrated, I can't concentrate on anything... And then, suddenly, after I eat, I am a joy to be around once more.
    These two sound like sugar burning metabolisms.

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I'm not bothered by hunger. I can tell true hunger when my stomach is growling for food. Anything else is just a craving.
    This sounds like someone who is well and truly fat adapted.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post

If you don't mind me popping in FWIW:

Been T1 for 30 years and noticed a pattern:

When I had an easy repetitive task to do and my thoughts cd. meander to other things, I realized when negative thoughts, irritability, etc. wd. fill my mind more often than not it was low blood sugar. For me it was an early sign, say about 72 mg/dl. Sorry for butting in-Thought it cd. be relevant to someone.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm finding that I can fast for quite a long time without feeling actual hunger pangs. It's been 26 hours now and still nothing. I don't think that's always a reliable source for hunger, but it certainly can be.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I get that way, even when I'm deep into ketosis, which I am quite often (though probably not right now because of the Thanksgiving holiday). I am used to going for multiple-day fasts, but eventually, I do start to get cranky, even if it takes three days.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast