Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A Question of Hunger - What do You All Think? page 5

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've never felt hunger in my mouth or throat... when I am truly hungry it is a gnawing emptiness in my gut.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Occasionally feel hunger when I wake up ... otherwise none at all.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Occasionally feel hunger when I wake up ... otherwise none at all.
    I get that too. But I take early classes and fast almost every day so I tend to ignore it. I don't get any hunger pangs until like 1 pm, which if theres a break, I eat. If not I wait to get home and make me something. And no mouth or throat thing, just an emptiness in the upper stomach. Unless Iīm thisrty.

froggie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JEL62 View Post
    I've never felt hunger in my mouth or throat... when I am truly hungry it is a gnawing emptiness in my gut.
    This exactly!

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    I am curious to know, when you do a one meal a day, typically, what does it consist of?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reallygravity View Post
    I am curious to know, when you do a one meal a day, typically, what does it consist of?
    I usually eat just once a day.

Not on purpose, just seems to be how often I get hungry.

Tonight my dinner is:

1 pound grass-fed ground beef
    7 egg omelette seasoned with turmeric, cinnamon, and a little habanero powder filled with a cup of kale and two cups of spicy salad greens
    1 cup of sauerkraut

I'll cook the omelette with a tablespoon of coconut oil and slap it on the plate next to the sauerkraut, cook the beef in a pan without any oil and toss it on top, and add a little drizzle of olive oil for a touch of flavor.

That's about 1,700 to 1,800 calories if Cronometer is to be believed.

I can make a similar meal very easily, just vary my veggies and meats to make sure I am getting a full range of nutrients throughout the week.

I also have some kimchi I can substitute for the sauerkraut if I want.

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the description! That was useful...

Blanchy is offline Member
    I have been doing two 24-hour fasts per week for about 5 months now, and have become pretty well acquainted with hunger... In my experience, real hunger is always a deep gnawing feeling in my stomach. Any sort of feeling in my mouth or throat is generally a craving, and almost never shows up at the same time as actual hunger.
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Kotato is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It would actually make more sense to me if I wasn't hungry at all until I was back down to my right weight.
    One more thought--I was re-reading Mark's blog posts on fasting, and I was surprised by this anecdote about a 456-pound man:

"...AB fasted for 382 days, drinking only water and taking vitamin, potassium, and sodium supplements. All told, he lost 276 pounds, reaching his target weight of 180 pounds and maintaining the bulk of his weight loss....[He] reported very little difficulty throughout his 382 day fast."

This is an extreme case, of course, but it does back up your idea that it's at least theoretically possible to be comfortable burning stored fat. I am wondering where he got his protein, though...

Anecdotally, I'll add that when I was obese and easily losing 2 pounds / week (through calorie restriction and lots of walking), I was eating very few calories (generally 1,000 - 1,200), and I was very rarely uncomfortably hungry. I never totally understood how this was possible, but in retrospect, I think it makes sense. Doing the math, I literally had to be consuming 500 calories/day of fat--my own fat. It's not as easy for me to mobilize my fat now that I have less of it, but it stands to reason that when I do manage to lose fat, I should be less hungry as a result.
    23, F, 5'5" and ~140lbs
    My mostly-dormant journal

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Apparently growling / rumbling in the stomach is caused by an excess of HCL acid, and when we eat or drink something, it moves the acid out of the stomach into the small intestine, so we think our hunger has been satiated, but actually it was just the acid making us feel what we perceive to be hunger.

Depending on what we eat, we'll have varying amounts of acid in our stomach. My stomach makes way more noise now than it did when I was veggie / vegan. I'm guessing that the emptier your tummy, the more acidic the stomach gets. Perhaps people who feel those growls less have a more optimal acidity in their stomach.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345