Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? about fasting page

Sandyboots is offline Junior Member

Question ? about fasting

Shop Now
    I have been reading the about the benefits of fasting and am very interested in beginning intermittent fasting. The benefits are so great. I was wondering if it is save for older people to fast. Would it be safe for mother who is 77, recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's and my father who is 76 who has diabetes. They are otherwise healthy. I know that you cannot diagnose or make medical recommendations, but was wondering is there has been any research done with elderly people and fasting.

Thank you,
    Sandyboots

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Are they already primal/paleo? If not, I wouldn't recommended IF for them.

Probably something you could discuss with a Dr on the Paleo Physicians network.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Paleobird Guest
    I agree^^. I wouldn't take someone directly from the SAD to IFing, particularly not the diabetic person. Once on a solid low carb primal diet for a while, then maybe yes but only under MD supervision.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I would say that if they have metabolic issues, then I wouldn't go to fasting right away without the right kind of doctors involved -- which would be those who know a lot about IFing.

According to information on IFing that's out there -- the science of it that is which you can see on a BBC show called HOrizons (do a search on google or youtube) -- it doesn't matter how crap you eat, if you fast, then you'll be healthier in a number of ways. But, this is taking "normal" people who are overall healthy on the CW diets and adding IF, which is different than taking geriatric folks with metabolic issues into it without proper management/care.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    x2. Get them fat-adapted first or they'll eat their shoes when you walk out of the room.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    What there is a little on is the use of ketogenic diets with Alzheimers sufferers. Here's Dr. Mary Newport talking about that:

The LLVLC Show (Episode 612): Dr. Mary Newport Updates Latest On Ketogenic Diet And Alzheimer’s Disease Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

and see here:

alzheimers ketogenic - PubMed - NCBI

I'd have thought a low carb diet, such as the Primal Blueprint, with plenty of coconut oil would be an option to discuss with one's doctor for anyone in that position.

Red face Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    Are they already primal/paleo? If not, I wouldn't recommended IF for them.

Probably something you could discuss with a Dr on the Paleo Physicians network.
    I have gotten them to understand and accept most of the Primal philosophy, but they still eat cereal and bread on occasion. They are working on it.
    I'll try and find a Paleo Physician. Do I just Google Paleo Physicians network?
    Thanks,
    Sandyboots

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I agree^^. I wouldn't take someone directly from the SAD to IFing, particularly not the diabetic person. Once on a solid low carb primal diet for a while, then maybe yes but only under MD supervision.
    Thank you.
    Sandyboots

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    x2. Get them fat-adapted first or they'll eat their shoes when you walk out of the room.
    I understand. My mom isn't quite fat-adapted, I do all of the cooking, but she always makes a piece of toast for breakfast and then asks for ice cream after dinner. I never buy any for her, I generally offer her some fruit or home made low-carb gingerbread.

Thank you,
    Sandyboots

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I would say that if they have metabolic issues, then I wouldn't go to fasting right away without the right kind of doctors involved -- which would be those who know a lot about IFing.

According to information on IFing that's out there -- the science of it that is which you can see on a BBC show called HOrizons (do a search on google or youtube) -- it doesn't matter how crap you eat, if you fast, then you'll be healthier in a number of ways. But, this is taking "normal" people who are overall healthy on the CW diets and adding IF, which is different than taking geriatric folks with metabolic issues into it without proper management/care.
    I tried to look up the documentery on Youtube, but it said that the program had been removed. I looked all over and found the BBC channel, but was unable to view the program. I did find an article about the program on the BBC site, I'll read it.

Thank you,
    Sandyboots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast