Thread: Ab circuit for end of work out page

Shane. is offline Junior Member

Ab circuit for end of work out

Shop Now
    Would like to add an ab/core circuit to the end of my strength session. After abit of advice on it and any substitutions.

Plank 1min
    Side plank 1min per side
    Crunches 30
    Bicycle crunches 30
    Russian twist 20
    Hanging leg raise 10 when I have the pull up bar or rings set up

Repeat twice

Thanks

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i'm not opposed to the occasional plank, etc., but if you're training right, this whole ab circuit thing is really superfluous, and should not be necessary. you should be gassed after a strength training session, and this type of thing should stress the CNS too much - if you're training right to begin with.

i've yet to meet anyone good at pull-ups and squats with bad abdominal strength. focus on compound movements and your abs just about take care of themselves.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i'm not opposed to the occasional plank, etc., but if you're training right, this whole ab circuit thing is really superfluous, and should not be necessary. you should be gassed after a strength training session, and this type of thing should stress the CNS too much - if you're training right to begin with.

i've yet to meet anyone good at pull-ups and squats with bad abdominal strength. focus on compound movements and your abs just about take care of themselves.

Read this, believe this and live this. 100% truth!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    If you need to add that much ab work you are not working hard enough.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Shane. is offline Junior Member
    I have heard that before, that deadlifts & pull ups both work the abs. Maybe if I just stuck to planks as they help with the stability aswell and possibly hanging knee raise as I know a lot of gymnasts favour these and there is no denying those guys are generally in ideal shape.

Thanks

hamston is offline Junior Member
    I am not compared to the periodic cedar, etc., but if you're exercising right, this whole ab routine factor is really unnecessary, and should not be necessary. you should be gassed after a durability work out, and this kind of factor should pressure the CNS too much - if you're exercising right to start with.
    Last edited by hamston; 11-28-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Agree with what the others have said. At the end of a serious strength session I just feel like lying down, not doing a bit extra.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Agree with what a lot are saying here but I always throw a plank it at the end just to make sure my core is burnt out.

Also i time myself and I find the plank good for building mental strength, not just physical strength.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Bunk is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    Agree with what a lot are saying here but I always throw a plank it at the end just to make sure my core is burnt out.

Also i time myself and I find the plank good for building mental strength, not just physical strength.
    I do this too. I am way to burnt to do a full ab circuit after strength training, but I like doing 1 plank for time and trying to beat my previous time by 1 second or more.

Occasionally I will throw in leg raises during strength training by super setting dips/pullups/leg raises on my Overhead Press day.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Crunches have to be one of the greatest exercise myths, right up there with side bends.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat