Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about Fasting/IF'ing

Hybrid View

Question about Fasting/IF'ing

Bear with me, I'm still pretty new to all this stuff....

I have toyed with fasting and IF'ing in the past, after having gone Primal. Unfortunately, about 15 hours is my "comfort" limit--anything longer than that and I start to get HUNGRY. So, I usually eat. One day I did make it 24 hours, but I was ravenous and my energy level had plummeted from good (morning) to so-so (afternoon) to slug (mid afternoon) to DOA (evening).

My question is, should I stick with my 15-16 hours and go with it and see if I can gradually lengthen the time, even by 15-20 minutes per day? Or should I just suck it up and do a 24 hour fast, energy level be darned? I would like to see some weight loss happen. I'm not overweight, but I'm not as slim as I would like to be/could be/have been in the past. I'm thinking 5-8 pounds of loss would be great, and I think I'd feel better.

I have read about how to become fat adapted and have done what I've read/heard, but it seems like after almost 3 months I should be there by now and be able to go longer than from dinner to a late lunch the next day without feeling like I could eat the table cloth

ETA: The times I have (tried) to fast, it was water only and nothing else.

I've been incorporating more fasting into my routine. It seems sort of natural with weather setting in, and in the wild food would become more sporadic. Anywho, I pulled 41 hours last week, and am aiming for 48-72 hours this week.

Early on, fasting was difficult, but it gets easier. 41 was surprisingly simple last week so I don't anticipate any problems with going as many as 72. Just for curiosity's sake I started poking around the internet to see what I could find (in case anyone wanted to freak out on me about it.) One site was particularly interesting. Thought you might think so too. Especially the "true hunger" page that it links to.

Effects of Fasting Ketosis | AllAboutFasting

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I've been incorporating more fasting into my routine. It seems sort of natural with weather setting in, and in the wild food would become more sporadic. Anywho, I pulled 41 hours last week, and am aiming for 48-72 hours this week.

Early on, fasting was difficult, but it gets easier. 41 was surprisingly simple last week so I don't anticipate any problems with going as many as 72. Just for curiosity's sake I started poking around the internet to see what I could find (in case anyone wanted to freak out on me about it.) One site was particularly interesting. Thought you might think so too. Especially the "true hunger" page that it links to.

Well, I can honestly say that I've probably never felt "true hunger", and I am extremely thankful for that.

I'm wondering if a fruit fast would be an idea....problem is, I thought fruit was something to limit if the goal was weight loss?

Marissa, I've decided that if I can't do it, I can't do it. If 15 hours a day is what this old body wants to do, then 15 hours a day is what we'll do, and we'll figure something else out as far as dropping those very, VERY stubborn last few pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly6 View Post
    I'm wondering if a fruit fast would be an idea....problem is, I thought fruit was something to limit if the goal was weight loss?
    IMO, fruit gets a bad rap by paleo peeps the same way saturated fat gets a bad rap by CW peeps. There's a huge difference between eating fruit and drinking fruit juice. It's way easier to drink a cup of orange juice than it is to eat 3 oranges, and yet they're about equivalent in calories/sugar.

Personally, I have no trouble with fruit. In fact I find apples make me feel ridiculously full, sometimes uncomfortably so if added to a meal. They're loaded with nutrition, so I don't see any problem with including them. I doubt fruit is going to push you into a calorie surplus.

IMO, fruit gets a bad rap by paleo peeps the same way saturated fat gets a bad rap by CW peeps. There's a huge difference between eating fruit and drinking fruit juice. It's way easier to drink a cup of orange juice than it is to eat 3 oranges, and yet they're about equivalent in calories/sugar.

Personally, I have no trouble with fruit. In fact I find apples make me feel ridiculously full, sometimes uncomfortably so if added to a meal. They're loaded with nutrition, so I don't see any problem with including them. I doubt fruit is going to push you into a calorie surplus.
    The issue with fruit for me personally, is... Even the small amount of sugar in fruit trigers binging. If it doesn't have this effect on you, then fine, but some of us are more carbs sensitive than others are, and for this reason, for those individuals, fruit may not be the most optimal choice.

Great reads, thank you. But.....21 day fasts with just water? Really?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Great reads, thank you. But.....21 day fasts with just water? Really?
    Yeah I don't think I'll be doing 21 days. Mostly because... I'd get bored.

Just curious: what is the benefit of going 41-72 hours without food?

Quote Originally Posted by Thanks, Lew. View Post
    Just curious: what is the benefit of going 41-72 hours without food?
    If ketosis is a goal for you, fasting for about 2.5 to 3 days usually results in you reaching that state. Then, if you start eating a ketogenic diet, you will typically stay there. Decreases the transition period for ketosis.

Another benefit is the autophagy. When cells are provided with nutrients, they multiply and divide and proliferate. This includes viruses and bad bacteria and even cancer cells. When they are deprived of nutrients, cells die off. Yes, some healthy cells will go the way of the wind, but normally, when deprived of nutrients, the body will work to preserve healthy cells and prefer to kill off weak or damaged cells. This can have an amazing impact on detoxifying the body, helping to rid the body of disease, and lowering inflammation. Longer-term fasts are typically required for much autophagy to occur though.

And of course, fat loss doesn't just STOP after a certain amount of hours.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    If ketosis is a goal for you, fasting for about 2.5 to 3 days usually results in you reaching that state. Then, if you start eating a ketogenic diet, you will typically stay there. Decreases the transition period for ketosis.

Another benefit is the autophagy. When cells are provided with nutrients, they multiply and divide and proliferate. This includes viruses and bad bacteria and even cancer cells. When they are deprived of nutrients, cells die off. Yes, some healthy cells will go the way of the wind, but normally, when deprived of nutrients, the body will work to preserve healthy cells and prefer to kill off weak or damaged cells. This can have an amazing impact on detoxifying the body, helping to rid the body of disease, and lowering inflammation. Longer-term fasts are typically required for much autophagy to occur though.

And of course, fat loss doesn't just STOP after a certain amount of hours.
    Recently I had the experience of my first fast where I started out in a state of deep nutritional ketosis. It made the fasting incredibly easy. I didn't have to go through that "getting into keto" phase. I was already there and so I could get straight down to the autophagy.