Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Question about Fasting/IF'ing page 4

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Recently I had the experience of my first fast where I started out in a state of deep nutritional ketosis. It made the fasting incredibly easy. I didn't have to go through that "getting into keto" phase. I was already there and so I could get straight down to the autophagy.
    It was my understanding that you didn't need to be in ketosis to experience autophagy. It's the lack of nutrients that causes autophagy, not ketosis. You can still be burning glucose and experience autophagy. Maybe it's not as efficient, but it still happens.

Agreed though, that being in ketosis makes a fast 100% easier. Because your body is adapted to burning fat you don't suffer from blood sugar issues that may make you feel hungry and tempt you to break the fast.

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Not sure about the ketosis deal.

Ate extremely low carbs for a couple of weeks, ie, under 50 or between 50 and 100. Started eating just one meal a day for the last week. Just did a longer fast, 54 hours roughly. Tested urine with Ketostyx and it's on neautral. ????????

Dropped some weight over the last couple of days, but I yo yo like crazy even doing PB.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Not sure about the ketosis deal.

Ate extremely low carbs for a couple of weeks, ie, under 50 or between 50 and 100. Started eating just one meal a day for the last week. Just did a longer fast, 54 hours roughly. Tested urine with Ketostyx and it's on neautral. ????????

Dropped some weight over the last couple of days, but I yo yo like crazy even doing PB.
    There are a LOT of variables that can effect whether a ketostick reads or is neutral. And if ketosis is desired, I'd generally recommend staying under 20 carbs until you reach it and then you can up it a bit. You can do a light workout before your fast to help speed the results as well. And some people need a full three days or more depending on activity level. The 2.5 to 3 days is more of an average than a hard rule.

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Yea, I've been exercising along. Also, been exercising before I eat in the evening, so I'm doing it fasted, still, a "nope".

Back eating one meal a day. Will try to get the carbs even lower which is going to mean almost doing a Atkins type diet, which I was trying to avoid.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    It was my understanding that you didn't need to be in ketosis to experience autophagy. It's the lack of nutrients that causes autophagy, not ketosis. You can still be burning glucose and experience autophagy. Maybe it's not as efficient, but it still happens.

Agreed though, that being in ketosis makes a fast 100% easier. Because your body is adapted to burning fat you don't suffer from blood sugar issues that may make you feel hungry and tempt you to break the fast.
    What I meant was I didn't need to experience that one or two awful days of what is basically condensed carb flu as a transition that normally happens at the beginning of a fast. I was all ready to go.

I don't have anything to back this up but it is my gut feeling that feeling rotten=excess stress hormones=less efficient autophagy going on.

I also found that coming out of the fast back into keto eating, I didn't regain any of the weight I lost. It all stayed off.

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Yea, I've been exercising along. Also, been exercising before I eat in the evening, so I'm doing it fasted, still, a "nope".

Back eating one meal a day. Will try to get the carbs even lower which is going to mean almost doing a Atkins type diet, which I was trying to avoid.
    I find that if I eat much more than 20 grams of carbs a day, it really effects my transition time for getting into ketosis. Takes much longer. And this includes non-starchy vegetables.

Once I get INTO ketosis, I can maintain it well at about 50 grams, but I have to be more restrictive while I try to get there. Just my two cents.

Fasting, at least for me, is a way to speed up the transition, but your mileage may vary.

Shelly6 is offline Member
    I'm going to bump my original thread vs. starting a new one because it's all along the same lines.

As I originally said, I usually IF 15-16 hours tops because that's when hunger starts to really kick in. Friday, I had little appetite. I did go out with some friends and had about 1/2 of a dinner-sized salad w/grilled chicken and a few bites of potato and broccoli. 48 hours later I've had a few bites of beef jerky, a few slices of cucumber or apple, and water and that's it, and my appetite is just now starting to kick in a tiny bit. Is this normal? I have ketostix for shits and grins and I'm in the moderate zone.

Interestingly enough, I tried a 24 hour fast a few months ago when I was relying on sugar and woke up that first night dizzy as all get out. That next morning I was physically sick, dizzy, nauseous, etc...not so this time.

Thoughts?

When you are actively in ketosis, your body is used to burning fats (whether dietary or body fat) for energy. So, when you stop consuming fats through diet,then you can easily (and pretty much immediately) switch over to burning body fat.

If you are used to burning sugar for fuel, when you fast your body is struggling between burning sugar and burning fat until it has a time to adapt. This is why the lower carb you eat, the easier it is to fast generally speaking.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234