Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Question about Fasting/IF'ing page 2

  1. #11
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    4,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly6 View Post
    I'm curious as to how many grams of protein is in a "normal" sized cut of meat (a grass fed strip steak, a chicken thigh, etc). Off to research, that might be up my alley...along with apples. Thank God for apples, I love them so
    Go for the leanest of the lean meat you can get! Chose Chicken breast instead of thigh, tuna in water goes as well and no apples on the proteinfast. Remember this is meant to imitate the metabolic effects of fasting with as little loss of lean body mass as possible...

  2. #12
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    IMO, fruit gets a bad rap by paleo peeps the same way saturated fat gets a bad rap by CW peeps. There's a huge difference between eating fruit and drinking fruit juice. It's way easier to drink a cup of orange juice than it is to eat 3 oranges, and yet they're about equivalent in calories/sugar.

    Personally, I have no trouble with fruit. In fact I find apples make me feel ridiculously full, sometimes uncomfortably so if added to a meal. They're loaded with nutrition, so I don't see any problem with including them. I doubt fruit is going to push you into a calorie surplus.
    The issue with fruit for me personally, is... Even the small amount of sugar in fruit trigers binging. If it doesn't have this effect on you, then fine, but some of us are more carbs sensitive than others are, and for this reason, for those individuals, fruit may not be the most optimal choice.

  3. #13
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Go for the leanest of the lean meat you can get! Chose Chicken breast instead of thigh, tuna in water goes as well and no apples on the proteinfast. Remember this is meant to imitate the metabolic effects of fasting with as little loss of lean body mass as possible...
    I think you're worrying too much. Fasting is naturally protein/muscle SPARING because your body knows well enough to prefer the more energy efficient body fat stores before begining to catabalize muscle. Only extremely lean individuals have anything to worry about, and that's not very many of us.

    On top of that, another reason to fast iss to encourage autophagy, and consumption of nutrients, particularly protein, inhibits the mechanisms that cause autophagy to occur. So you lose one of the primary reasons for engaging in a fast.

  4. #14
    ez2cy's Avatar
    ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I've been incorporating more fasting into my routine. It seems sort of natural with weather setting in, and in the wild food would become more sporadic. Anywho, I pulled 41 hours last week, and am aiming for 48-72 hours this week.

    Early on, fasting was difficult, but it gets easier. 41 was surprisingly simple last week so I don't anticipate any problems with going as many as 72. Just for curiosity's sake I started poking around the internet to see what I could find (in case anyone wanted to freak out on me about it.) One site was particularly interesting. Thought you might think so too. Especially the "true hunger" page that it links to.

    Effects of Fasting Ketosis | AllAboutFasting
    Great reads, thank you. But.....21 day fasts with just water? Really?
    55 yr old male


    07/01/2013

    Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

    07/20/2013

    Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

  5. #15
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    4,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I think you're worrying too much. Fasting is naturally protein/muscle SPARING because your body knows well enough to prefer the more energy efficient body fat stores before begining to catabalize muscle. Only extremely lean individuals have anything to worry about, and that's not very many of us.

    On top of that, another reason to fast iss to encourage autophagy, and consumption of nutrients, particularly protein, inhibits the mechanisms that cause autophagy to occur. So you lose one of the primary reasons for engaging in a fast.
    My point was to combine 15 - 16 hours intermittent fasting with the proteinfast two days per week to get a large energy deficit for those two days, almost like an ordinary fast, but providing sufficient protein. That's also the reason for choosing the leanest meat you can get. And getting more than enough protein is important for other reasons than just the risk of loss of lean mass, that is real enough if in a energy deficit for extended time periods - it also keeps the blood sugar stable, increases satiety, and have a higher thermogenic effect than the other macronutrients...

  6. #16
    ez2cy's Avatar
    ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    331
    Damn, I'm so confused now!!!!!
    55 yr old male


    07/01/2013

    Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

    07/20/2013

    Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

  7. #17
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    My point was to combine 15 - 16 hours intermittent fasting with the proteinfast two days per week to get a large energy deficit for those two days, almost like an ordinary fast, but providing sufficient protein. That's also the reason for choosing the leanest meat you can get. And getting more than enough protein is important for other reasons than just the risk of loss of lean mass, that is real enough if in a energy deficit for extended time periods - it also keeps the blood sugar stable, increases satiety, and have a higher thermogenic effect than the other macronutrients...
    I still think you're thinking way too much into this. Just fast. And eat when you're hungry.

    As long as you're eating normal primal meals when you break your fast, your protein levels will be fine. I've had little to no issues with three and four day fasts as long as I was eating a healthy primal diet without having to think about "modified protein fasting" or any of that junk. You're making way too much out of something that should be simple.

    If it's not simple and easy for you, and you need "hacks" to make it work, then maybe fasting simply isn't the best option for you.

  8. #18
    Diana Renata's Avatar
    Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    5,394
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Great reads, thank you. But.....21 day fasts with just water? Really?
    Yeah I don't think I'll be doing 21 days. Mostly because... I'd get bored.

  9. #19
    Gorbag's Avatar
    Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ecuador
    Posts
    4,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    If it's not simple and easy for you, and you need "hacks" to make it work, then maybe fasting simply isn't the best option for you.
    What you call "hacks" has been used for therapeutic reasons in hospitals around the world for years, it's an alternative to ordinary fasting backed by science and that works...

  10. #20
    MarissaLinnea's Avatar
    MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    770
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    My point was to combine 15 - 16 hours intermittent fasting with the proteinfast two days per week to get a large energy deficit for those two days, almost like an ordinary fast, but providing sufficient protein. That's also the reason for choosing the leanest meat you can get. And getting more than enough protein is important for other reasons than just the risk of loss of lean mass, that is real enough if in a energy deficit for extended time periods - it also keeps the blood sugar stable, increases satiety, and have a higher thermogenic effect than the other macronutrients...
    You are making this too complicated. She isn't a bodybuilder, she doesn't need to worry about this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •