Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zee's Whole30 Primal Journal page

Zee
    Zee is offline Senior Member

Zee's Whole30 Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    Hello! I have been perusing this site and forums for about two weeks now. I love to research and learn all I can about nutrition and exercise so you can probably imagine the amount of time I've spent on the site. I've been on vacation this past week, but returning to work tomorrow so my free hours will decrease then.

Just so you know where I am coming from, I am a 41 year old woman, married with two boys, who as of one week ago are both in the Army. My family has always eaten relatively healthy, or so we thought. With the boys out of the house, I think it will be easier for us to keep the krap out.

I found this site and started reducing carbs and eating more primally two weeks ago. With Thanksgiving (twice) and the impending departure of our son, there were many more opportunities for eating out and not to plan. I read about a book called It Starts With Food, bought the kindle version and started reading it aloud to my husband while he drove us home from his parents yesterday. We decided to start our own Whole30 plan immediately.

We both have a bit of fat to lose, and occasional lower back pain, which can be very debilitating when it hits. I also struggle with acne and dry skin. Otherwise we really don't have any major health complaints. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next thirty days.

So far, we have had breakfast of eggs, spinach and avocado, and lunch of steak cooked in coconut oil with mushrooms and onions, and a side of mashed cauliflower. Dinner will be scallops with bacon, and a salad. I bought a variety of meat and veggies today, as well as eggs, dates and apples.

My goals for this next thirty days are to eat according to plan every day, with zero alcohol which will be the toughest part for me. No dairy and no sugar will also be difficult. As said earlier, I also wish to lose some fat...while I am not overweight, I am over-fat. A flat midsection is my ultimate vain result. I also want to repeat my two-minute plank, and achieve my first ever pull-up before the end of the year.

Wish me luck!!

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Good luck, Zee! And welcome.

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    Hello Zee!
    Ive been lurking the site for some weeks also. I wish you the best! It seems that you have a supportive environment, and I feel the forum helps. Ill follow your example and introduce myself at the newbie thread, since Ive just realized I havent so far.
    Your first day down the road seems right on the money!
    Be careful with dried fruits since they are very easy to overeat and you'll be amazed at how much sugar are packed in such a small bite.
    Another amazing advice Ive got is to get good sleep, that helps a lot with cravings.
    Bonne chance!
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Zee
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    Good luck, Zee! And welcome.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by U2sandrah View Post
    Hello Zee!
    Ive been lurking the site for some weeks also. I wish you the best! It seems that you have a supportive environment, and I feel the forum helps. Ill follow your example and introduce myself at the newbie thread, since Ive just realized I havent so far.
    Your first day down the road seems right on the money!
    Be careful with dried fruits since they are very easy to overeat and you'll be amazed at how much sugar are packed in such a small bite.
    Another amazing advice Ive got is to get good sleep, that helps a lot with cravings.
    Bonne chance!
    Thank you for your suggestions. I have only a little dried fruit (homemade so no added anything), the apples and dates I bought today are fresh.. And only for treats. Oh and I have some frozen berries too. As for sleep, I do well at getting to bed in time for 8 hours every night. I love my sleep!!

Getting a little hungry for dinner now...

Grokalicious is offline Senior Member
    Wow Zee, a two minute plank? I was puffing away today at 1 minute. My new goal by the end of the year is that! You will do great on your Whole 30 but I too am hoping that bidding farewell to dairy and sugar will be easier than I dread. Will be reading your journal for inspiration!!!!
    One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Zee
    Haha the two minute plank was a one time occurrence. Today's plank after my walk was for 90 seconds. Gotta work up to two minutes consistently.

Busy day at work but wanted to make a quick note here that I have a mild and annoying headache right now. Seems the low carb flu is visiting. If anyone has a recommendation I'm all ears.

Grokalicious is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Haha the two minute plank was a one time occurrence. Today's plank after my walk was for 90 seconds. Gotta work up to two minutes consistently.

Busy day at work but wanted to make a quick note here that I have a mild and annoying headache right now. Seems the low carb flu is visiting. If anyone has a recommendation I'm all ears.
    Sorry about the headache, should go away soon enough. Make sure you're drinking enough water.

So impressed with even 90 seconds. Most I can muster is 60. You're motivating me!!!!
    One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with the Whole 30. I'm coming to the end of my Whole 30 this month. I gave us dairy, sugar (inc fruit) and booze. I have one lapse with some vodka/soda but other than that I completed it. Its hard, and sometimes I was bummed out that I couldnt have X or Y - but its such a short term deal. Like sure I don't have cupcakes with everyone, but do I care about it 30 minutes later - no.

The whole experience has really been an exercise in will power and gaining control back over food. I wouldn't consider myself to have had or have any issues with food, but it was amazing to realise how much power it can have over you.

You're lucky to have you hubby along for the ride, having my BF do this with me has made things much simpler than I think they otherwise would have been.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Zee
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokalicious View Post
    Sorry about the headache, should go away soon enough. Make sure you're drinking enough water.

So impressed with even 90 seconds. Most I can muster is 60. You're motivating me!!!!
    Water - check! I've been drinking LOTS today. I usually do during the week... it's the weekends where I have issues with doing so. You'll be up to 90 seconds in no time (or 90 seconds of time... ).

Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    Good luck with the Whole 30. I'm coming to the end of my Whole 30 this month. I gave us dairy, sugar (inc fruit) and booze. I have one lapse with some vodka/soda but other than that I completed it. Its hard, and sometimes I was bummed out that I couldnt have X or Y - but its such a short term deal. Like sure I don't have cupcakes with everyone, but do I care about it 30 minutes later - no.

The whole experience has really been an exercise in will power and gaining control back over food. I wouldn't consider myself to have had or have any issues with food, but it was amazing to realise how much power it can have over you.

You're lucky to have you hubby along for the ride, having my BF do this with me has made things much simpler than I think they otherwise would have been.
    Hey Goose, thank you! I'm really grateful my husband decided to join me on this. It definitely makes things so much easier! Giving up sugar and grains hasn't been too bad yet. My husband is lamenting how we're going to celebrate my birthday this weekend, as we can't go out and drink ourselves silly or even make me a cake. I told him I don't really need all that anyway.

Today's meals were leftover steak, baby carrots and tea for breakfast; BAS for lunch (with a small piece of homemade jerky on the side); chicken breast and beets for dinner, followed by two medjool dates. My husband doesn't like the dates. We have never had them before - and I probably shouldn't have bought them at all. I DO like them. Perhaps too much. I don't like the amount of carbs in them, yet I hate the thought of throwing something out. Hmm. I wonder if anyone at work would eat them? Maybe I'll take them in and see...

I was a bit hungry this morning but fine all afternoon. Usually I would need a snack in the AM, sometimes in the PM but always be starving by the time dinner was ready. Not so tonight! I was hungry but not to the point where I HAD to Eat. Right. Now!! I'm currently pleasantly stuffed, finishing my water and then I think I'll have a cup of tea before bed.

Oh, and I went for a walk today before lunch.

We both noticed our energy levels have been very constant all day, no major highs OR lows. Loving that!

Zee
    Well, apparently my husband has decided not to continue with this, as he came home and announced that he had taquitos for lunch. I also noticed a mostly empty bottle of soda on the counter that was NOT there before he came home. Humph! I've been giving him krap since.

I'm going to stick with it though, and show him just how fantastic he COULD be feeling! Not to mention looking!! Although, I must say that he is going to likely appreciate the changes to my body at least as much as I do... if not more. Hehehe.

Anyway. Day 3. Today's been good. I made bacon and eggs for breakfast, with leftover spinach. My lunch was leftovers: chicken breast, beets and mashed cauliflower. I also brought carrots with me in case that wasn't enough but it definitely was! So carrots will be tomorrow. Dinner tonight is a roast with carrots and onions, with a pumpkin pudding for dessert (pumpkin, coconut milk, eggs and agave - supposed to be honey but I don't have that). Dessert isn't entirely on plan but pumpkin-pie-ish sounds good right now, and I have room for it!

Minor headache this afternoon but less than yesterday's, and didn't last for long.

I weighed and took measurements this morning. Since November 4th, I am down 6.2 pounds and smaller just about everywhere!! One inch off my natural waist, 1-1/2" from navel (and belly bulge), 3/4" from hips and 1/2" from each thigh. Using calculations (which I know aren't the most accurate BUT I still use to show progress) that all means I'm down over 2% body fat!! I'm still up 3% body fat from my lowest at the beginning of this year but I'll get back there - and stay this time dangit!! I am going to try to stay off the scale but won't make any promises.

Workout today was Stage 2 from NROLFW. Last "A" workout of the stage. I was a little concerned I wouldn't have enough energy but I had plenty. Thursday (with more exercises followed by HIIT) might be a test. We'll see!!
    Last edited by Zee; 11-27-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: added dessert!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast