Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Zee's Whole30 Primal Journal page 7

Zee
    Zee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    This past weekend I indulged in far too many non-Primal foods. I'm hoping that the resultant weight gain is only temporary. Back on track yesterday, though with protein high and fats not quite as high. Still, I did not give in to the temptation of the vending machine, instead choosing to make myself a cup of green tea to which I added sweetener. Combined with conversation with a coworker, the craving passed.

We had our first of the grass-fed beef for dinner last night. My husband cooked. I think we each need to cook our own steaks from now on. I like mine much more rare than he. When I cook them, at least he can continue to cook his longer... I can't make mine more rare after he's already cooked it through. Ah well. It was still good.

Dogs got a treat of the rest of the chicken I'd made last week with their last few meals. It was far too dry for our tastes. They seemed to enjoy it.

I got my first tattoo last month. It wasn't quite right so I was almost hiding the fact that I had it. But Saturday I went back for the fix and touch-up and I am absolutely thrilled with the result! It turned out so much better than I'd expected. Now for the not-so-fun healing. It's already starting to itch.

Grokalicious is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    This past weekend I indulged in far too many non-Primal foods. I'm hoping that the resultant weight gain is only temporary. Back on track yesterday, though with protein high and fats not quite as high. Still, I did not give in to the temptation of the vending machine, instead choosing to make myself a cup of green tea to which I added sweetener. Combined with conversation with a coworker, the craving passed.

We had our first of the grass-fed beef for dinner last night. My husband cooked. I think we each need to cook our own steaks from now on. I like mine much more rare than he. When I cook them, at least he can continue to cook his longer... I can't make mine more rare after he's already cooked it through. Ah well. It was still good.

Dogs got a treat of the rest of the chicken I'd made last week with their last few meals. It was far too dry for our tastes. They seemed to enjoy it.

I got my first tattoo last month. It wasn't quite right so I was almost hiding the fact that I had it. But Saturday I went back for the fix and touch-up and I am absolutely thrilled with the result! It turned out so much better than I'd expected. Now for the not-so-fun healing. It's already starting to itch.
    Wondering if you take a meal off each week to indulge, or not. And, thinking I may do just that once the current Whole 30 is over.
    Sounds like you're thriving on this WOE by the tone of your journal.

Ooooooh, a tattoo, and one that's at the itching stage at that. Wish I had some words of wisdom for ya, but you know that this too shall pass. I have a tattoo on my flank of a renaissance styled sun in shades of black. In a place where no one knows it exists unless I choose to show 'em. Sometimes I want to get another!
    One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Zee
    I quite frequently have things that are not quite Primal... a small piece of candy (like the handful of peanut M&M's I had Thursday), a glass wine with dinner and/or dark chocolate afterwards, a half serving of pasta. Previously, I would have had multiple handfuls of those M&M's, beer with dinner and ice cream afterwards, two full servings of pasta. This is progress!

This week has been very stressful at work. I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel, yet. Deadlines are looming. The positive of all this is that my immediate boss is doing his best to keep things light and all discussions have been professional. No tempers flaring, finger pointing or even irritation! We'll get through it, but it will take months.

Last night I had some yummy 1554 with my husband, with mahi mahi over cauliflower rice with fresh salsa. Fabulous! I used my new food processor to make the salsa and the cauliflower - loved the ease of it all. Cleanup was a breeze as well. This morning I put a pork shoulder in the crockpot for the Crispy Carnitas. I used the food processor again to slice the onions and garlic, then to shred some cheese which I put over our eggs for breakfast. It's a kitchen gadget kind of day.

Zee
    My tattoo is at the height of itchiness this weekend. Need more lotion.

Yesterday's lunch was a hot dog with loads of sauerkraut, and another 1554. Dinner was incredible!! Now I understand all those who have mentioned making the carnitas, then make them again and again. I sampled quite a bit while it was in the oven and had to restrain myself from just gobbling them up right there. Instead, I put 4 ounces over romaine with the leftover salsa from Friday night and half an avocado, few dashes of lime. I love lime on Mexican fare.

My calories for the past couple days have been really low, so when I started craving something sweet after dinner last night I considered making more cream cheese clouds. Of course, my ingredients were not softened. I found another "recipe" for a pudding of sorts that was quick - 2T HWC, 1T natural peanut butter, 2tsp Splenda. It was enough to satisfy the craving and bumped my calories up. Macros yesterday ended at 62/16/17 (with a goal of 70/20/10). Carbs were a little high at 62, though net carbs were only 44 so mostly good.

I need to go grocery shopping for more veggies today. Especially kale. A friend mentioned crispy baked kale chips on Facebook yesterday so now I want some. And eggs. I'm hard-boiling some now but we need more.

Grokalicious is online now Senior Member
    Hot dog sounds so good right now! Not to mention the carnitas. My prob with carnitas is I always overcook it and end up with carnitas jerky!

I make kale chips all of the time and they really satisfy that need to crunch! Sounds like you're doing great, Zee!
    One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    So many comments...

My goals for this next thirty days are to eat according to plan every day, with zero alcohol which will be the toughest part for me. No dairy and no sugar will also be difficult.
    Those 3 are the hardest for me too, although if I could only keep one, it would have to be dairy!

Woke up at 3:30 am which is not unusual... an hour before necessary on the weekday and waaaaaaaay more early than necessary on the weekend.
    I firmly believe that one should ONLY see 3 am IF one is still up partying!

I feel guilty.

Okay. So I screwed up the Whole30. Not just once or twice, but at least 3 times - intentionally eating things that I knew weren't allowed. I'm not starting over though. Not because I am planning on "cheating" but right now it feels like if I were to do that, I'd be setting myself up for failure. And for feeling guilty when that happens. I feel freaking guilty for having curry made with fish sauce that has fructose in it?!! For using unclarified butter?!! For a single. Chai Latte. That's not healthy for me. I do not want to force myself into some artificial "diet" that means I actually feel GUILTY if I don't follow it. That's... that's just not right.
    EXACTLY!! This exactly how W30 made me feel!

So, I'm going to avoid all cookies and candy and alcohol for today. Just for today.

Maybe I need a 12-step program?

Somedays I have to say that too. Just for today. Sometimes it works, but sometimes the Dragon has her way

Unfortunately, I gave in to the easy route of eating what my husband prepared for dinner which was carbs, carbs and more carbs, also known as spaghetti with garlic bread. I also polished off the rest of my chocolate bar. I tracked everything but UGH!!!
    When my Farmer makes spaghetti I just eat the meat sauce, no pasta, no bread. Make a small side salad if you need something more.

My timeline is by May 25th - when we leave for Hawaii. Typical right? Haha.
    Jealous!
    I can't count the times I've set a trip as a goal date

I am starting to feel a little bit like I don't 'fit in' around here. Wonder how long that will last. Heh. Probably always feel that way at least a little. Typical for me... Still get that feeling around coworkers after over 7 years. I'm not sure why I think I'll join in and just instantly belong. Wishful thinking I suppose. Oh well.
    Why?
    Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here. Especially when I read about people's workouts!
    Or when I have to post about my wine or candy indulgences...

As of right now, I feel guilty and stupid. I thought I could make beef bone stock but left the burner on too high with not enough water and for too long. Came home to a house filled with smoke and very anxious pets.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Thank God I came home to a house filled with smoke and anxious pets.

I'm going to cuddle with my canines now.
    This.
    What are their names?

Photo???
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Zee
    WnC, you just made my day. Seriously.

Zee
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy
    Those 3 are the hardest for me too, although if I could only keep one, it would have to be dairy!
    My problem is, I can't pick just one. If cheese weren't dairy, I would choose alcohol. Since it IS... I can't decide.

When my Farmer makes spaghetti I just eat the meat sauce, no pasta, no bread. Make a small side salad if you need something more.
    Hmm. I could do that. No pasta, no bread. I keep meaning to try spaghetti squash but any squash I buy tends to just rot on the counter until I toss it. Someday...

Jealous!
    I can't count the times I've set a trip as a goal date
    I AM SO EXCITED!! My husband does NOT like to travel, so having agreed to this trip (with his parents) is amazing. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Why?
    Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here. Especially when I read about people's workouts!
    Or when I have to post about my wine or candy indulgences...
    I think that's just it. I can't really explain WHY I feel that way. I just do. Which means it's totally nonsensical and untrue. Try telling that to my feelings. Know that if and when you do post such things, you're not alone (she says as she sips more wine).

I have two dogs and two cats. The dogs are Jackson (my profile pic), an almost 2-year old Australian cattle dog mixed with sneaky neighbor dog... aka rescued from a local kennel with unknown origins) and V (who shall remain otherwise nameless to protect the innocent), a 10+ year old miniature dachshund AKA "Baby Dog". The cats are Tia and Leeloo, sisters who are NOTHING alike.

Photo??? Ahhh, let's see if I can figure out how to post one of those.

tattoo_small.jpg

Edit: That worked! This is my family's zodiac signs, in our favorite colors.
    Last edited by Zee; 01-28-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Love the tat! What is the meaning? The colors are great.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Zee
    Thanks, Siobhan! It is my family's zodiac signs in each of our favorite colors.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast