Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At a crossroad page 2

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't think barbell training can prepare you fully for backpacking. There is an element to backpacking you can't get in the gym. There's the uneven surface you must walk on. There's the hours and hours upon endless hours of walking under a load sometimes up hill, sometimes down hill. There's the weather--hot sun, cold mornings, rain, snow, trails overgrown with poison oak or scratchy brush. There's the route-finding aspect which can become a tremendous psychological drain. Dangerous creek crossings, rock scrambling with a pack on, strong or cold wind, knowing how to use your equipment to stay fed and hydrated, knowing how to stay hydrated (you would be surprised how few people actually know how to do this right), knowing how to get adequate sleep with inadequate sleeping equipment, knowing how to stay warm and safe under bad conditions, knowing how to start a fire in the rain etc. Being strong helps, but it can't prepare all the body's tendons and muscles nor can it prepare the mind.
    One of the abilities most lacking in the US military right now is the ability to ruck- hike with a loaded back pack. I know plenty of guys who can run fast and are very strong, but just can't maintain a decent pace under load. It's a hard one to train as well, because there's nothing to do but put in the time with the ruck.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    One of the abilities most lacking in the US military right now is the ability to ruck- hike with a loaded back pack. I know plenty of guys who can run fast and are very strong, but just can't maintain a decent pace under load. It's a hard one to train as well, because there's nothing to do but put in the time with the ruck.
    There is something to do besides putting in time with the ruck. General strength is certainly not the only adaptation necessary, but it's probably the most helpful. And I agree with sbhikes about the fact that you have to have muscular and mental endurance. But the strength will help more than any other single thing.

If these guys are already moderately strong, they'll adapt to the ruck quickly. If they're not, they'll have to get strong either efficiently (weight training) or less efficiently (just doing ruck work).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12