Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do you workout to music, and is there really a positive effect of it? page

breetbree is offline Senior Member

do you workout to music, and is there really a positive effect of it?

Primal Fuel
    just wondering if you listen to music while working out, and what kind? i listen to metal stuff that screams, because it's very intense sounding and gets me pumped ^_^ try listening to Veil of Maya- It's Not Safe To Swim Today. it's a very good song that i believe is great to workout to. and has anyone heard of working out to different genres of music having a positive effect?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    No. No.

The only effect I get is the earphone cord getting in the way, or the ipod screwing up a person's running form (hold an ipod, and film yourself running. You'll favor that arm, even if you strap it way up high). I also feel like I have no awareness of what is going on around me, which seems a bit dangerous when running outside.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Yup. I listen to music. What kind depends on what I'm doing. If I'm running my preference is for techno. If I'm lifting then bouncy pop/dance music is good. I have my days where loud screaming music really fits too. But especially for running I like to have the music!

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    I never run with music. When I run I don't want anything on my body that doesn't need to be. I am also pretty competitive and I feel you can't run races, marathons, whatever with music so don't practice with it. Get ur mind trained to get pre occupied by itself.

That being said, I love me some gangster rap or heavy metal when I lift. Now a days I start my session with "red nation" by the game. Even tho little Wayne is in the chorus.

I was benching and du hast by rammstien came on followed by Dragula by Rob zombie. That was a good combo

sjmc is online now Senior Member
    If I'm running or rowing inside then I listen to music, but I turn it off when I'm lifting so I don't get distracted or caught in the earbud cord. I used to run a lot outside, sometimes 2 hours, and I could do that without music, and it was very zen and relaxing, etc., but inside on the treadmill music is non-negotiable.

Re: the problem w/ holding an iPod or strapping it to you -- I have a nano (I don't know what 'generation' it is) that I can clip to my waistband, and it basically weighs nothing, which is nice.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    I have found I temper my running to the beat, which isn't ideal.

hazelgrant19 is offline Junior Member
    I also listen to music during my work out. Music make me more inspired and more alive during my work out...
    I also got good mood when there is music around...Usually I listen to JLo songs...My favorite as of now is dance again...^_^
    San Clemente Boot Camp which is fun and affordable for everyone, Wendy's Bootcamp!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breetbree View Post
    just wondering if you listen to music while working out, and what kind?
    I used to CW jog nine miles, wearing boots & carrying a rucksack with specified kit in, when training for an annual fell race. Stepping out to Tina Turner would knock five minutes off my time.

Now that I do short intense workouts I don't bother with music as it takes an extra minute or more to set the iPod and ear pieces up.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Catrin is online now Senior Member
    I only listen to music if I am rowing or on the spin bike - for anything else I find it to be a distraction.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I listen to metal while lifting. Helps with aggression. At least for me.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast