Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: do you workout to music, and is there really a positive effect of it? page 2

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    great points, guys. i'm trying to get used to running to and sounding off to cadence, that's why i have some on my ipod. but i meant mostly for push ups and what not, i think it does help me, listen to that song i recommended while you work out and you may get pumped too ^_^ and for those who say it's a distraction, that's a good point but that's exactly what i need so i can focus on something else that's going on, i can kind of zone out while running. and it's not too big of a hazard because where i run, it is very lowly populated and at most i will see one or two cars pass by, that's on a busy day.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I like music when I dance. All other forms of stuff - I tolerate music, but not love it. Though cranking up the volume during the HIT might produce a rise. Not always. I am not really into the music culture, I can't get it how people need it to do absolutely anything, from driving to working?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I like listening to music when I swim. Open with the Jaws theme and I can pick up the pace nicely. Round it out with some high-energy music that I love, and it's easier to find energy for my sprints and for the last chunk of the workout. I'll frequently go "OH I love this song I can't stop now!" and swim that many more minutes than I'd originally planned.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    I like listening to music when lifting weights. I find that if I get "pumped" from the music it really lets me push harder. Also, if I'm a bit less than motivated, I can use music to get me in the mood prior to lifting weights and have a much better workout.

--Me

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It depends, I do seem to always have music on when working out, but depending on what I'm doing, I don't always hear the music... it's hard to explain. If I'm doing something relatively mild (a jog.. which never happens but you get the idea) I do tune into the music, if I'm doing weighted pull ups or something heavy I don't hear shit. I just focus on what I'm doing and getting the reps done.

jenny has a good point. how she said "oh i love this song and can't stop now!" is exactly what i think. especially when i'm running. and since i'm a weak runner i always like after a good song gets over with while i'm running, i'm thinking about taking a break, and then a great song comes on and i pick the pace back up

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Normaly, I don't listen to music when I run, the wind in the trees is pretty musical all by itself... however, when I want to motivate myself to maintain a fast pace, I do chant a cadence in my head.... usually 1-2-3-4-U-S-Marine-Corps or 1-2-3-4-I-Love-the-Marine Corps.... Sorry.. I was a medic to the Marines in my youth..... old habits die hard some times....

destructalux is offline Senior Member
    i downloaded all the chillstep mixes https://www.youtube.com/user/OnlyChillstep

not everyones cup of tea but works for me. good euphoric feel to keep listening too through and after the workout to flush the cortisol. used to train to heavy metal and yeah i trained like a twat. switch to chillstep. dubstep if you want to up the tempo.

churrr

that's pretty cool, ssn, Marines have some awesome cadence, i'll give 'em that!

rachi is offline Junior Member
    I generally listen to paleo podcasts or the radio when I'm working with weights or doing bodyweight exercises.

Running, I will usually have my ipod in but not for sprints as the cord gets in the way. I don't do that much running aside from short runs and sprints anymore anyway.

When I'm on the rowing machines, I like to blast my music loud from the stereo makes me really enjoy working out! I listen to a mix of metal and electronic. Loving Daft Punk and Justice for working out the moment. The track Horsepower by Justice always gets me ready to give it my all, it's awesome.
    Paleo since 22nd Oct. 2012

F/21/5'7"
    SW: 163 lb 22/10/12
    CW: 154lb 1/12/12
    GW: ~140 lb

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast