Thread: EEEEK what's happening? page

ifjewel is offline Junior Member

EEEEK what's happening?

Shop Now
    I have been weakly primal for a year and a half and full-on primal for 4 months. I'm also an endurance athlete and have found tremendous success on the primal diet. Great digestion and no need for additional fuel until about 2hrs of activity. BUT, I recently started short, intense strength and power workouts and I am craving scones like mad. Scones, cookies, you name it, I want it, feel I can't live without it. What's a girl to do? Ignore the craving and eat a sweet potato? Ignore the craving and eat a pork chop? Cave?

My "go to" craving beater is home-made beef jerkey and apples.

But, sometimes it's good bio-feedback to totally screw up. Have some of those scones (or any other "grainy snack) and see how you feel in 20 minutes. The robust immune reaction that follows will discourage same behavior in the future.

At this point, there's no point in being perfect - just be pretty good.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    So are you craving the breadiness of scones and cookies or the sweetness? Is this tummy hunger or mental hunger?

Sweet potato could make a decent scone-like biscuit with the right recipe (which I do not have but I'm sure you could find).

Sometimes ignore the craving and eat some bacon works for me - sweet but fat instead of sweet but bready.

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    teaspoon to tablespoon of coconut oil,
    and that little burn goes away,

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    i'd recommend carbs in your diet. many paleo/primal athletes make carbs a regular part of their lives. lots of fruit, potatoes and sweet potatoes. even white rice. there is really nothing inherent to paleo/primal eating that makes it low carb. and for someone who describes themselves as as "endurance athlete", i'd say you should be eating more carbs.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Not that I'm an athlete, but exactly ^^^^. If you're having more intense workouts and then craving carbs, maybe just maybe that's what you actually need.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    more calories - of everything - carbs (fruit/potaoes/white rice), fat, protein
    ad astra per aspera

emerson is offline Member
    Since you're posting in the the Athlete forum and talking about participating in 2 hour endurance events and switching to/supplementing with moving heavy weights and if you don't have Celiac or gluten intolerance EAT the f'n scone you need the carbs!

I just re-read your post. Short/intense/power/strength workouts don't require dumb carbs at all. You're not blowing through your glycogen stores in any way. You might want some for a short time around the event itself but not in your present workout.

I'm betting that you're eating something that you think is paleo but isn't. That's triggering the reward center in your brain to want more and more. That makes you WANT that scone really bad. Doesn't mean you NEED it in any way.

I'll give you an example I ran into with a patient earlier this year. He ate paleo - hard at 100% for 2 months. Lost 10-12 pounds but was stuck (needed to lose a lot more), his energy level was abysmal, and he craved everything. I knew that wasn't right so I asked him to give me a 1-week food log. Everything looked good except for 1 thing - he had listed lobster with every single meal. Now we live in Maine and the lobsters are mostly from here, but we don't really eat that much of it. I asked him about it and it turned out he was buying a lobster pate' and eating the heck out of it. I asked him to bring it in and it turned out it was a grainy mash with artificial lobster thrown in for looks and taste. We removed the lobster pate and his cravings immediately stopped, his energy level perked right up and he started shedding the pounds all over the place. He's now at 101 pounds lost and maybe 15% body fat. Doesn't sound like much - but it was enough to turn his brain into his own worst enemy.

I'm not suggesting that lobster is your issue. I would, however, suggest that you have someone else look at your diet for a week (knowledgeable and with a critical eye) and see what it is. Anything pre-prepared is a good first guess. Any fake energy bars or protein shakes? Guarantee it's something you're totally taking for granted.

PM me if you'd like help in this regard and good luck.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifjewel View Post
    I have been weakly primal for a year and a half and full-on primal for 4 months. I'm also an endurance athlete and have found tremendous success on the primal diet. Great digestion and no need for additional fuel until about 2hrs of activity. BUT, I recently started short, intense strength and power workouts and I am craving scones like mad. Scones, cookies, you name it, I want it, feel I can't live without it. What's a girl to do? Ignore the craving and eat a sweet potato? Ignore the craving and eat a pork chop? Cave?
    Your cravings for scones and cookies etc is probably your bodys way to tell that it want fast energy for the strenght and power workouts! If you also have lost bodyfat and got leaner, the body may not access its energy depots quick enough so it ask for simple SUGAR...