Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Good carbs? page 7

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This is a food reward/calorie issue. If you combine lots of fat and carbs together, it signals your brain to overeat. Go out and buy a 10 lb sack of white potatoes. Make your meat of the very lean variety. Eye round, chicken breast, well-trimmed pork loin, etc. Do not add cooking fat. Keep the meal as close to zero fat as possible. See if you can overeat baked white potatoes and steamed chicken breast. I challenge you. If you're binging on sweet potatoes, it's because you're putting too much butter and cinnamon on them.
    Wow, now I have half of the forum trying to convince me to eat more carbs. What if I simply don't feel like doing it and am enjoying the success I've had eating the way I am? Seriously, I don't see what the big deal is with this whole "you're just doing it wrong" thing. I've done enough personal experimentation with myself and my diet that I don't WANT to try "plain white potatoes" and "steamed chicken breasts." How utterly boring. If this is how you're SUPPOSED to consume carbs, this sounds completely bland and uninteresting to me.

I'd take my high-fat, VLC diet over bland, unseasoned chicken breast and potatoes any day.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Me, too! They can keep the carbs. I mean, it's not like we're zero carbing it. I probably hit 50 most days. I eat a green apple, some oysters, some almond butter or dark chocolate, some greens - it adds up. I'm not willing to try high-carb yet, either, after all the work I've done. I'd have to eat less fat, and you can have my fat when you pry it from my lean, sinewy and incredibly strong fingers.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Polish, here, too. And Irish and 1/8 Native American. Heavy animal eaters, too, as far as I know.
    I have the genes for animal consumption and full utilization of fats, protein, and nutrients therein, that much I know. Whether this is the optimal kind of diet for me, who knows? But I've had great success so far and generally feel good, so amen to that!

I think the blatant assumption being made on me that I have "food avoidance issues" might be true, but why worry if you feel great? Eat what makes you feel good, right?

Not everyone NEEDS to eat tons of carbs to be healthy.

Me, too! They can keep the carbs. I mean, it's not like we're zero carbing it. I probably hit 50 most days. I eat a green apple, some oysters, some almond butter or dark chocolate, some greens - it adds up. I'm not willing to try high-carb yet, either, after all the work I've done. I'd have to eat less fat, and you can have my fat when you pry it from my lean, sinewy and incredibly strong fingers.
    Seriously, if fat and carbs together are bad, then I'll take my fat and leave the carbs at home. You can feed me "plain, unseasoned white potatoes" when you pry the bacon, coconut oil, and ground meats from my cold, dead fists. I enjoy adding fats to my carbs, and if this is "wrong" or what is "causing my issues," then I simply won't eat the carbs. Bingo, no more issues!

Fat is yummy, yo.

[Crappy oils not included.]

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Wow, now I have half of the forum trying to convince me to eat more carbs. What if I simply don't feel like doing it and am enjoying the success I've had eating the way I am? Seriously, I don't see what the big deal is with this whole "you're just doing it wrong" thing. I've done enough personal experimentation with myself and my diet that I don't WANT to try "plain white potatoes" and "steamed chicken breasts." How utterly boring. If this is how you're SUPPOSED to consume carbs, this sounds completely bland and uninteresting to me.

I'd take my high-fat, VLC diet over bland, unseasoned chicken breast and potatoes any day.
    No that's just Choco's way. He told me I had an eating disorder because I dared to start the calorie counting threads. Now he acts like he invented calorie counting. Calling someone else's way of eating "disordered" is a really cheap shot, IMO.

Folks, VLC, LC, whatever, it works for some people. Really well. Drumroll can't handle carbs because of binging, I can't because of seizures, Cori can't because of cranial pressure. Lots of people find that LC helps with weight control. If something is working for someone, I don't get why everyone else is trying to shove a spud down their virtual throat. Nobody is insisting that everyone eat VLC or saying you have and eating disorder if you don't.

And yes, the lean chicken boobs and dry potatoes sound about as appetizing as a tennis ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    No that's just Choco's way. He told me I had an eating disorder because I dared to start the calorie counting threads. Now he acts like he invented calorie counting. Calling someone else's way of eating "disordered" is a really cheap shot, IMO.

Folks, VLC, LC, whatever, it works for some people. Really well. Drumroll can't handle carbs because of binging, I can't because of seizures, Cori can't because of cranial pressure. Lots of people find that LC helps with weight control. If something is working for someone, I don't get why everyone else is trying to shove a spud down their virtual throat. Nobody is insisting that everyone eat VLC or saying you have and eating disorder if you don't.

And yes, the lean chicken boobs and dry potatoes sound about as appetizing as a tennis ball.
    Hah, "chicken boobs." I like that. I'm using that from now on.

And there are people now saying that carbs don't cause ANYONE issues as long as they're from a "primal approved" source? That's a pretty bold pronouncement to make without evidence to back it up. Whatever happened to nutrition being individual? When I first joined this forum, people were pretty accepting of different dietary needs and seemed to recognize that certain types of diets worked better for certain individuals.

Now it's "if you don't eat carbs, you have an eating disorder"?

I am fully aware that primal doesn't mean "low carb" straight out of the box and people do fine on fairly high carb versions of the primal diet. But low carb primal is still a legit choice!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Hah, "chicken boobs." I like that. I'm using that from now on.

And there are people now saying that carbs don't cause ANYONE issues as long as they're from a "primal approved" source? That's a pretty bold pronouncement to make without evidence to back it up. Whatever happened to nutrition being individual? When I first joined this forum, people were pretty accepting of different dietary needs and seemed to recognize that certain types of diets worked better for certain individuals.

Now it's "if you don't eat carbs, you have an eating disorder"?

I am fully aware that primal doesn't mean "low carb" straight out of the box and people do fine on fairly high carb versions of the primal diet. But low carb primal is still a legit choice!
    Indeed it is and one that works very well for a lot of people. The high(er) carb Primal just seems to be a fashion trend lately but these things come and go. Some people follow the forum "wisdom" pendulum swings and some people follow what they know works best for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Indeed it is and one that works very well for a lot of people. The high(er) carb Primal just seems to be a fashion trend lately but these things come and go. Some people follow the forum "wisdom" pendulum swings and some people follow what they know works best for them.
    Hah, yeah. Individualism in all things I always say. I appreciate the "wisdom" swings and watching people discover new knowledge and questioning their previously held knowledge. But when it gets to the point that the new wisdom overrides all that we previously knew or makes it "wrong" or causes people to think that anyone who thinks or acts differently has a "problem" of some kind, maybe it's gone too far. Tollerance and acceptance of differing lifestyle choices is key to real and lasting debate and discussion that achieves anything of value. Dogmatic opinions and unproven pronouncements of "absolute truth" kill any sort of useful discussion.

By the way, nothing wrong with chicken boobs for dinner, but I'm marinating them in a coconut milk, lemongrass, and garlic marinade and cooking them in coconut oil. So I guess no carbs for me, since it's not plain. And I'm perfectly ok with that.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I will never understand why some folks think it's just one way for everyone. Just a few variables are metabolism, genetics, gender, age, and weight (overweight vs healthy weight). Add various health conditions, and I would imagine it would be easy to see that there's not just one solution. Hence a blueprint one can tinker with until it works for the individual. I just plain out like lower carb eating. I like eating animals more than I like eating plants. The wonderful side effect is lessened hunger.

So rock on, low carbers. As for the chocolate, tuber, fruit, and white rice lovers among us, rock on to you also.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast