Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 74

Thread: Good carbs? page 5

  1. #41
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,463
    Shop Now
    Tim, my glucose metabolism is fine. It always has been. I'm not sure what the cause of my binging is and I never claimed I knew the cause either. I do know that my blood sugar stays within a healthy range most of the time and I am perfectly capable of dealing with any resultant insulin spike from eating carbs.

    I'm not "afraid" of insulin or anything. My concern is even more, that if something makes me binge, I lose control of myself. And that, is scarier to me than any resultant blood sugar spike. I never want to feel out of control like that.

    My fear isn't the metabolic effects of carbs.

    But let me put it this way... You'd never encourage an alcoholic (who loses control of themselves around alcohol) to have "a few drinks" would you? No, the best strategy is abstinence. I think you can extrapolate where I'm going with this. And no, I'm not a "zero carber."

  2. #42
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    798
    I understand. I just got the impression you had some metabolic problems when you said you were "sensitive" to them. No worries.
    Endotoxins (under construction)


  3. #43
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I understand. I just got the impression you had some metabolic problems when you said you were "sensitive" to them. No worries.
    I might be mentally sensitive to them. If you get what I mean... It's not so much that my glucose metabolism isn't healthy, but maybe the resultant spike in blood sugar is a mental trigger of something. I dunno, pure speculation here.

  4. #44
    camel's Avatar
    camel is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    330
    Acellular and cellular carbs are definitely different to the body.
    Comparison with ancestral diets suggests dense acellular carbohydrates
    Mark has talked about this too. Search the words on this site fore more info.

  5. #45
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    bad carbs(hard to digest): green vegetables
    bad carbs(stressful) legumes, grains
    good carbs: fruit, milk sugar, white sugar, roots and tubers

    I might be mentally sensitive to them. If you get what I mean... It's not so much that my glucose metabolism isn't healthy, but maybe the resultant spike in blood sugar is a mental trigger of something. I dunno, pure speculation here.
    This sounds like something you get when you spend time on a restrictive diet. Ignore the binging for a while, you'll eventually treat carbs like any other food after you get used to them.

    Your body is governed by quantum mechanics. I bet everything you're having a problem with is placebo because you except problems and binging. Treat it like everything else(it's just fucking food, man) and it won't mean anything.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  6. #46
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This sounds like something you get when you spend time on a restrictive diet. Ignore the binging for a while, you'll eventually treat carbs like any other food after you get used to them.

    Your body is governed by quantum mechanics. I bet everything you're having a problem with is placebo because you except problems and binging. Treat it like everything else(it's just fucking food, man) and it won't mean anything.
    I had this same issue when I was eating a CW diet and I could still go through four baked potatoes in one sitting. Only difference between now and then was that then I didn't think that was a problem. Now, I know it is.

    Let me guess, because the carbs in green veggies are what you call "bad," you don't eat any of them?

  7. #47
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I had this same issue when I was eating a CW diet and I could still go through four baked potatoes in one sitting. Only difference between now and then was that then I didn't think that was a problem. Now, I know it is.

    Let me guess, because the carbs in green veggies are what you call "bad," you don't eat any of them?
    Well, you're the only one who can tell yourself when to stop. If you don't have any other problems as you say it's just a matter of knowing your own limits. Maybe you're overeating the baked potatoes because they have things you need? I overeat the shit out of fruit sometimes and don't care at all.

    As far as green vegetables go, I don't eat them because they're useless and taste like trash.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  8. #48
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Well, you're the only one who can tell yourself when to stop. If you don't have any other problems as you say it's just a matter of knowing your own limits. Maybe you're overeating the baked potatoes because they have things you need? I overeat the shit out of fruit sometimes and don't care at all.

    As far as green vegetables go, I don't eat them because they're useless and taste like trash.
    You could POTENTIALLY argue that my binges are caused by a lack of the carbs my body "needs" and it is trying to tell me that, but I'm not convinced. I could do the exact same thing while I was a CW eater (though I didn't make the connection), and I certainly didn't need any more carbs back then. But that simply didn't seem to register for my body.

    And here we have someone extrapolating for their own n=1 and applying it to everyone. Reason number one for why I hate labeling things as good vs. bad.

  9. #49
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    You could POTENTIALLY argue that my binges are caused by a lack of the carbs my body "needs" and it is trying to tell me that, but I'm not convinced. I could do the exact same thing while I was a CW eater (though I didn't make the connection), and I certainly didn't need any more carbs back then. But that simply didn't seem to register for my body.

    And here we have someone extrapolating for their own n=1 and applying it to everyone. Reason number one for why I hate labeling things as good vs. bad.
    I don't just mean the carbs, but potatoes have an abundance of important minerals and vitamins. I don't worry about how much I eat anymore, I just eat until I don't want to eat anymore. It works for me. I don't binge much, and if I do I hardly feel bad about it. Tonight I ate 3lbs of dates, and I feel great. Probably way too much fiber but whatever.

    I've never liked green vegetables. Ever. They don't taste good, and they need to be cooked for hours and hours. But it's not just because they taste bad is why they're thrown in the "bad carb" list. They contain anti-nutrients and they obviously shouldn't be eaten hence why they taste so awful and bitter. They're definitely not good for your intestinal health either.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  10. #50
    BestBetter's Avatar
    BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NY / Italy
    Posts
    1,209
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post

    Some people (myself included), have quite a sensitivity to carbs, blood sugar spiking, and weight gain. I tend to binge on carbs myself, unfortunately. To assume that because it worked for you, it will for everyone is a fallacy. My goal here is not to demonize carbs as a macro but rather to get folks to understand that it's all about your personal n=1.

    What irks me about this place is when a lot of you guys discover something for yourself or get an idea in your head, you assume it must be true for everyone and forget how individual things like nutrition really are. I'm not meaning to single you out but just saying my own piece on the matter.
    I'm not trying to pick a fight here, and I of all people am painfully aware that works well for some people does not for others. For example, many people on this forum demonize carbs (or throw out blanket statements that they are bad, cause inflammation, etc...) and assert that the one right way to eat is high fat and big ass salads...I tried it, and ended up giving myself some pretty serious health issues that took many months to rectify. I never, ever, ever assume that other people should be doing what I'm doing, so I apologize if I gave you that impression.

    I actually used to feel the same way about carbs that you do now. I have a pretty awful binge eating history, which I mistakenly blamed on carbs. It took a really long time for me to change my food psychology, but once I did, it was like I became a new person and I could see that my food issues had nothing to do with the food itself.

    Now that I have given myself permission to eat as much sugar (real, organic sugar cane, not HFCS), I find that I don't crave it anymore, I don't think about it ever, and I consume a lot less of it that I expected I would. I've also realized that the digestive trouble I had previously attributed to sugar is actually due to HFCS, not actual real sugar.

    Surprisingly, not eating HFCS, there is very little candy or junk food available to eat. Since I also avoid PUFAs and gluten, that basically takes it to zero, so my sugar consumption (aside from fruit) comes in the form of teaspoons of sugar in homemade lemonade or tea. Same goes with carbs; anything fried or on bread is out, so I basically eat potatoes and rice and some GF oatmeal for carbs.

    It seems paradoxical, but eating sugar and starches in this way feels clean, much easier than what I was doing before when I was restricting carbs, and has actually fixed most of the health issues I created by eating high fat/low carb.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •