Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good carbs? page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think the whole good/bad thing really goes back to "empty" calories. IOW, if you get carbs from things that grow out of the ground, those are good carbs. If you get your carbs from Little Debby cakes, those are bad carbs.

The body may indeed process a carb is a carb is a carb, but what is being ingested in addition to that carb makes a difference. I think it's just a shorthand for, "Stop eating plastic wrapped crap and start eating stuff off of which you have to wash dirt."

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Good carbs are less processed, you can recognize it's origin, and those carbs to be avoided or limited have been through a processing maschine like a mill etc...

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Good carbs are less processed, you can recognize it's origin, and those carbs to be avoided or limited have been through a processing maschine like a mill etc...
    Ain't that the truth! Have you ever seen a sugar beet? I lived in sugar beet country in England. Sugar beets are a monstrosity of a root, weighing up to 10 pounds. Sugar beets have seen much genetic modification to increase sugar yield. The sugar factories belch white smoke 24/7 while refining the sugar, it takes tons of sugar beets to produce pounds of sugar.

I'll bet if we just ate sugar beets we'd all be fine.

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Carbs are bad, in terms of cholesterol, inflamation and overall health, all carbs are pretty much the same.
    This isn't even close to accurate. Your body is designed for carbs, fats, and protein. Quality and natural source is what matters. If your metabolism is all screwed up it won't process anything very well. Fat can attribute to cholesterol, inflammation, and poor health as easily as carbs. You realize vegetable oils are probably one of the most inflammatory things you can consume? That is mostly fat.
    Last edited by statikcat; 11-25-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    That seems like an enormous spike for 8-10 grams. At 100mg/dl you have about 5 grams in your blood, total. What is your fasting level before that? I have not tested mine in a long time, but I noticed a huge difference in high vs low GI foods. The data on GI and blood glucose response is well-documented in the scientific literature. I don't know enough about your specific condition to speculate about why you are seeing that kind of response.
    Yep, it came as a total shock to me. I got interested in blood sugar when my trigs almost tripled in one year while I was eating a very high carb low fat diet. Starting coming here and began doing a little research. Became concerned about my BG so I bought a meter. FBG is typically 95 +/-. For dinner this afternoon I had 2 grms from broccoli, 1 grm from collard greens and 5 from US Wellness liverwurst. One hour postprandial was 138. At that point I had dessert - shredded unsweetened coconut, cacao nibs and half&half, about 6 grams. One hour later BG was 105.

The Scientist is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Yep, it came as a total shock to me. I got interested in blood sugar when my trigs almost tripled in one year while I was eating a very high carb low fat diet. Starting coming here and began doing a little research. Became concerned about my BG so I bought a meter. FBG is typically 95 +/-. For dinner this afternoon I had 2 grms from broccoli, 1 grm from collard greens and 5 from US Wellness liverwurst. One hour postprandial was 138. At that point I had dessert - shredded unsweetened coconut, cacao nibs and half&half, about 6 grams. One hour later BG was 105.
    Everything that I know about blood glucose regulation tells me that 8-10 grams of carbs alone cannot possibly be causing that spike. You are making blood glucose by gluconeogenesis from your protein intake. You need a negative control to prove it, though. What does a zero-carb meal do for you? Try a big bowl of eggs or a steak and see what happens. You could also try a fat only meal as an additional control. If I am right, I'm not entirely sure what that means for you metabolically (doesn't seem good), but I am very curious now and want to look into it tomorrow.

Paleobird Guest
    The only concussively demonstrated benefit that I have seen to extremely low, ketosis-inducing, carbohydrate restriction is weight loss. If you are at a healthy weight, eating 20-30% of your calories from carbs is no problem. I have found that about 10-15% makes me feel best, but I don't monitor it carefully, and I'm sure everyone is different.
    There are other health conditions which also have conclusively demonstrated benefits from ketosis. The one I am most familiar with is epilepsy. (Google Johns Hopkins+ketosis for lots of interesting info). I have also read accounts of benefits in other neurological disorders as well such as ADHD and the stabilization of bipolar disorders. Our own dear Cori here on this forum is suffering from a disorder causing increased inter-cranial pressure which she is convinced is helped greatly by staying in ketosis. (Anecdotal, I know but close to home.)

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    The carbs of choice by many around here (sweet potatoes, squash, etc...) are free of all three of those issues.
    Some people (myself included) have an extreme sensetivity to carbs as I proved in spades this weekend. It didn't seem to matter if it was from "primal approved" carbs or not. I just lack the willpower to moderate my carb intake. And at the levels I was consuming, regardless of the source of the carbs "good" or "bad", I was probably doing myself more harm than good. Remember, even if they are good, primal approved carbs, they still spike blood sugar and can lead to weight gain if you don't moderate them.

I have learned that I will have to be far more careful in the future.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    This isn't even close to accurate. Your body is designed for carbs, fats, and protein. Quality and natural source is what matters. If your metabolism is all screwed up it won't process anything very well. Fat can attribute to cholesterol, inflammation, and poor health as easily as carbs. You realize vegetable oils are probably one of the most inflammatory things you can consume? That is mostly fat.
    I was reading a cholesterol study that graphed out the different types of carbs along with the harm they caused. All of them were pretty bad. Ill link sometime when I am not on my phone.

With that being said, some carbs are better than other but, light cigarettes are better than full tar cigs and no one says "smoke the good cigarettes." Good is actually less bad.

Maybe I'll look into some good research on my own a d post what I find.

hamston is offline Junior Member
    The only effectively confirmed advantage that I have seen to incredibly low, carbs limitation is losing body weight. If you are at a good and balanced body weight, consuming 20-30% of your calorie consumption from carbohydrates is no issue. I have discovered that about 10-15% creates me experience best, but I don't examine it properly, and I'm sure everyone is different...
    Last edited by hamston; 11-28-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast