Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's the real deal with gluten? page 4

Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Reasons= autoimmune diseases.

You may not feel the effects now, immediately. Only the select few who react to grains, those with Celiac disease get immediate noticeable problems. For others the damage happens slowly over time, you get older and start feeling feeling sick all the time and the doctors can't figure out why. They say chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia or something else many people consider 'normal' with age ... arthritis.

I don't really think that those are dice you want to throw?
    It's a bit like playing Russian roulette with 4 chambers loaded instead of one. Not good odds.

You could say the exact same thing about dairy or eggs. It isn't too hard to cite lots of research on how something can be bad but it doesn't beat personal experience or possibly even observations of cultures who aren't experiencing problems. It kind of reminds me of the response some people get when they go on a diet and improve their health. "Sure you lost weight, feel better and improved all you're health markers, BUT, IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU EVENTUALLY".

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    My advice: Eat bread until you start to notice it hurting your health, then stop. If it never hurts your health, congratulations, you can eat bread! Eat some for me.
    That seems like sensible advice. Or cut it out for a month or so and add it back and see how you feel, if you really enjoy eating it. I rarely eat bread products myself for the same reason I don't eat added fats, there's better tasting and more nutritious sources of calories available to me.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Of course... everyone makes their own decisions.

I always find it odd when folks on a Primal/Paleo site advocate FOR gluten/grains which is a position contrary to the principles of the diet in general.
    To each their own.

No data that I've ever read shows that the majority of people have issue with eggs or raw/fermented milk of either bovine or goat origin (cafo pasteurized/homogenized milk is a different subject and is not tolerated as well because it has been messed with by man).
    There is a however a great deal of information that now shows that the majority, rather than just a small percentage, of people have adverse reactions to glutens.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

mark h is offline Junior Member
    You are lucky if gluten does not effect you. It also depends on genetics. The more north of the equator = more gluten sensitivity. Just the opposite for milk, the farther south = more dairy issues.
    Keep it going, Mark

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    My wife is gluten sensitive, and she made a passing comment to me recently that might be relevant to this thread.

All her life she hadn't been aware that she was gluten sensitive because she experienced the side effects 3-6 days later, so she'd never associated how she was feeling with the prior bread.

It was only going primal and cutting out wheat (and then being sensitive/aware that she had 'fallen' when she had some and few days before her symptoms) that she became aware that wheat really was a problem for her.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Alcohol is fine for most people in small quantities, but if you drink too much all sorts of diseases develop...at what level is it dangerous? at what point is gluten dangerous? at what point is it affecting your life? at what point is it affecting your life so you notice?

You want to take a chance with something that is being shown time and time again to be detrimental to health in small populations 1 in 133 or much larger wheat sensitive populations, those with noticeable IBS, those just ticking along below the symptom threshold.

Another question is why do you want to eat it? It is pretty tasteless, has the consistency, no wait, it is wall paper paste, no real nutritional value so why bother?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Of course... everyone makes their own decisions.

I always find it odd when folks on a Primal/Paleo site advocate FOR gluten/grains which is a position contrary to the principles of the diet in general.
    To each their own.

No data that I've ever read shows that the majority of people have issue with eggs or raw/fermented milk of either bovine or goat origin (cafo pasteurized/homogenized milk is a different subject and is not tolerated as well because it has been messed with by man).
    There is a however a great deal of information that now shows that the majority, rather than just a small percentage, of people have adverse reactions to glutens.
    I'm not advocating gluten for everyone. I'm actually advocating that people avoid it for a while and see if they have benefits, but if someone does fine on i and really enjoys then I'm not going to tell them they should avoid it completely. Same with dairy. The majority of people don't have issues with these foods. I certainly wouldn't be too keen on lecturing some of the healthiest longest lived cultures that their dairy and gluten consumption is slowly killing them even though they aren't aware of it.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Personally, waiting for an adverse reaction sucked for me. Adverse reactions to gluten and bad oils is what it took for me to get really strict. Now I'm stuck with some kind of gut disorder and worsened depression until my system can recover. You aren't necessarily going to feel the damage happening. There are things that I realized much later were indicators of problems (frequent yeast infections, bloating that I thought was normal, lethargy) that I had no idea weren't normal at the time because so many other people suffered from those things.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Gluten impregnates your daughter and poops on your sidewalk. Thread over.

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In light of this i have switched to gluten free sausages, i suppose if gluten can really contribute to degenerative diseases i may as well change the one bit of food that i get it from, no big deal really.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234