Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the real deal with gluten? page 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I would have told you even a year ago I have no problem with gluten. But once I took it out of my diet, I eventually felt better. Arthritis that was just beginning to show up in my fingers are gone. That's probably the most obvious thing. Other than that, I just feel better, like a totally different person. Now if I ate a sandwich for lunch today I'm sure I'd still be feeling good tomorrow, still not have any arthritis and not have any kind of GI reaction. But eat a sandwich every day and I'm pretty sure it would all creep back into my life again. At my age, holding on to whatever health I have is a priority. It's too bad that it gets squandered and ill-managed when you are young, but I guess we all have to make that mistake.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Another podcast from Dr. Clark... Y'all will really hate this news:

42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darz View Post
    Or maybe you won't.. decide what's best for you based on want you think is best and not on what others say.
    Uh, that's not how science works.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    think as in based on what he researched..

Karma is offline Senior Member

Timthetaco Guest
    I know all the reasons why gluten should hurt a person, but if wheat doesn't hurt you, that kinda seems like your body is giving you permission to eat the junk, doesn't it? Why not eat bread if you don't notice any negative effects on your health?

My advice: Eat bread until you start to notice it hurting your health, then stop. If it never hurts your health, congratulations, you can eat bread! Eat some for me.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I know all the reasons why gluten should hurt a person, but if wheat doesn't hurt you, that kinda seems like your body is giving you permission to eat the junk, doesn't it? Why not eat bread if you don't notice any negative effects on your health?

My advice: Eat bread until you start to notice it hurting your health, then stop. If it never hurts your health, congratulations, you can eat bread! Eat some for me.
    That's great advice... (note the sarcasm)

What if the first hint you get from your health being affected bygluten is a serious disease such as MS or CRPS that dramatically affects your life, or a major neurological disorder that isn't correctly diagnosed for 6months to a year and changes your life significantly in that time frame? You could lose your job, no longer be able to drive, have emergency/over night hospitalization events due to brain dysfunction, multiple expensive brain tests, etc.

That's what happened to me.
    Sometimes those 'hints' aren't just a random case of diarrhea... if that's all it was no one would ever listen.
    Last edited by cori93437; 11-26-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Timthetaco Guest
    Way to scare the hell out of anyone who might tolerate wheat, Cori.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Just telling the truth.

You're welcome.

Like I said earlier... eating gluten is like playing Russian roulette with 4 of 6 chambers loaded. Not good odds at all.

Better to be informed that blissfully ignorant IMO.

The research connection one of my diseases to gluten autoimmunity has only come out in the last 2 years... in the 13 preceding years I lost my life to pain, hard-core narcotics, 10 surgeries, etc.
    Not knowing the first disease was autoimmune led to continued gluten consumption and a second autoimmune issue... neurological dysfunction.
    Now OFF gluten and all grains I need no medical interventions to control pain. And I'm on minimal meds for the neuro issue now. After less than a year.
    The disease still exists, if I eat gluten again I will be in pain again, but it's under control and my body is healing the nerve damage and neuro dysfunction.
    Last edited by cori93437; 11-26-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast