Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I use all this marmalade? page

Hilary is offline Senior Member

How do I use all this marmalade?

Shop Now
    I could never bring myself to throw away Mum's home-made marmalade. So there it sits in a corner of the pantry, several jars of the stuff. Ingredients: oranges, sugar. Any suggestions for ways to use it up?

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I use it to sweeten homemade cranberry sauce. Whisk it into salad dressings. Add it to full fat yogurt if you eat it. Whisk it with soy sauce and olive oil for a meat marinade. Substitute it for the fruit in a brandy Old Fashioned (ick). When I ate bread, I made a sandwich with a fun cheese like Iberico, toasted walnuts, arugula and orange marmalade. You can just eat the slices of cheese/marmalade/nuts?

I guess if you don't want the sugar you regift them for the holidays. Put together a gift box of good cheese, walnuts and the marmalade. Just don't regift it to the original gifter!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Those are great ideas, thanks! Will have to try it with cheese - and I really like the meat marinade idea. Mm. Food for thought, as it were.

I wonder if anyone's invented a Primal marmalade cake?

Alas, the jars are anything up to 12 years old, so probably people would regard them as slightly weird gifts. The marmalade keeps pretty much for ever, as far as I can make out. It just develops personality.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    the sugar wont be primal but you can poss use it in some sort of truffles or energy balls to take on long walks? mum used to put marmalade in fruit cakes so you can make a coconut flour cake of some kind without sugar and just lob it in. eat it on workout days. or google "marmalade cake recipe" and make something CW for visiting friends. often i find it easier to make a cake with gluten and sugar in as everyone else likes it and i dont have to feel tempted to eat it. plus i havent had sugar for so long i have very skewered taste buds. my feeling too is you could make a glaze to baste roast pork with with marmalade and cloves maybe? mess with one of those recipes which uses honey to put on a roast and see what you can come up with.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Glaze for meats? Orange would be good with poultry, including duck or goose.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I make a hot mango chutney chicken (thighs) that would work with marmalade... just be sweeter, I guess. You could add hot pepper flakes to spice it up.

1/4 c soy
    1/4c mango chutney

Whisk and marindate 8 boneless or bone-in chicken thighs for at least 15 minutes. Put in glass baking dish and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes. I pour off much of the marinade and put an extra bit of chutney on top of each thigh before baking. You can just try to sub the orange marmalade for the chutney.

Really good with coconut rice if you eat white rice. Substitute a can of coconut milk for some (or all, depending on how much you are making) of the water. I sometimes add the red pepper flakes to the rice, too.
    Last edited by PHaselow; 11-26-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

cookie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Glaze for meats? Orange would be good with poultry, including duck or goose.
    +1 to this. i use it as a glaze for chicken breast every week. we bake up glazed chx breast for salads weekly. just mix with a splash ac vinegar and let it marinate for a bit before baking.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Mix with chocolate to make decadent truffles (and give some of them to Mom, lol!)!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Do you like beets?> If so, melt some butter in a frying pan. Add one fairly finely chopped onion, cook gently to soften. While that is softening, peel and dice (large dice) three cooked beets. Add to softened onion, stir occasionally for about 10 minutes until really heated through. Add 2 teaspoons of marmalade (or more if you want), stir to melt and glaze beets and serve - particularly good with lamb.

Also, on wild duck; mallard and the like. Smear with marmalade, sprinkle with freshly ground coriander seeds and roast on high until cooked though but still slightly rare on the breasts. Delicious.

Baked apples - take crisp eating apples (as many as you want), core and make a slight cut in the skin around the equator to stop them bursting. Place in a buttered pyrex dish, fill holes with marmalade and stick a cinnamon quill into each. Add about 2 tablespoons of water and place in oven heated to 180 C for about 35 / 40 minutes. Check at intervals and add more (boiling) water if needed to prevent the marmalade sauce which forms from burning and going bitter. Lovely with thick cream.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    If you bake, it could replace applesauce in recipes. You could probably use it as a sweetener, but you'd have to make up the ratios (might reduce amount of eggs or increase the flour, depending on what it's replacing). Sometimes, people use orange juice or applesauce to replace oil in a recipe, so I imagine you might be able to use marmalade.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast