Thread: Supplement Recommendations and Brands! page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Supplement Recommendations and Brands!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Supplement Recommendations and Brands!

From Perfect Health Diet... what a great resource this is!

Supplement Recs | Perfect Health Diet

Here's what they have to say about supplementing (a good explanation):

"Some people think there is something wrong with a diet if supplements are recommended. They believe that a well-designed diet should provide sufficient nutrition from food alone, and that if supplements are advised then the diet must be flawed.

I think this is quite mistaken. The reality is that Paleolithic man was often mildly malnourished, and modern man due to the absence of minerals from treated water and agriculturally produced food, and the reduced diversity and higher caloric density of our foods is severely malnourished compared to Paleolithic man.

We recommend eating a micronutrient-rich diet, including nourishing foods like egg yolks, liver, bone broth soups, seaweed, fermented vegetables, and so forth. But I think its only prudent to acknowledge and compensate for the widespread nutrient depletion that is so prevalent today. Even when nutrient-rich food is regularly eaten, micronutrient deficiencies are still possible.

Eating Paleo-style is not enough to guarantee perfect health. Luckily, supplementation of the key nutrients that we need for health and that are often missing from foods will often get us the rest of the way."

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    From Perfect Health Diet... what a great resource this is!

I think this is quite mistaken. The reality is that Paleolithic man was often mildly malnourished, and modern man – due to the absence of minerals from treated water and agriculturally produced food, and the reduced diversity and higher caloric density of our foods – is severely malnourished compared to Paleolithic man.

Even when nutrient-rich food is regularly eaten, micronutrient deficiencies are still possible.
    Don't get me wrong, I think the PHD has a lot of good info in in. But on this, they are just making a blanket generalization with zero back-up. Yes, nutritional deficiencies are possible but shouldn't be assumed to exist. Also they refer to "modern man" as if that were a homogenous group. If I drink mineral water and eat only organic produce and grass fed meats, that is different than someone subsisting on the SAD.

So do you take any supplements, Paleobird? You make a good point, but I still think supplements are a good idea to insure we are getting enough of what our bodies need; grass fed meats or not.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    So do you take any supplements, Paleobird? You make a good point, but I still think supplements are a good idea to insure we are getting enough of what our bodies need; grass fed meats or not.
    No, I don't currently but I have in the past. Post chemo I took supplements while getting my thyroid healed and bone density back up. That is an example of supplementing for a specific reason, for a specific deficiency that is known to exist.

I think a lot of people however assume, based on supplement seller's "unbiased" data and scare tactics, that all modern humans are by definition nutritionally deficient. Like the "Vitamin D Council" telling us that we all need 10 gazillion IU/day or we face imminent death. If you look into who is on the supposed "council" every single one of them either sells vitamin D or test kits for it. Why is it that Primal peeps are so ready to lash "Big Pharma" for drug pushing but open their wallets meekly for "Big Vita"? It's an industry.

First of all, I think our bodies recognize and assimilate nutrients more efficiently and fully when they come packaged as foods and drinks as opposed to synthesized, powdered, and pressed into a pill. Real foods digest over time also allowing for more complete absorption instead of hitting all in one lump. So I would rather have some liver pate and a glass of green smoothie than vitamin pills.

Also, there are a lot of things we have yet to figure out about the complex interactions of the various nutrients in out diets. Sometimes it's not about absolute quantities but about the balance between several nutrients (as is the case in electrolytes). Sometimes one nutrient is not well absorbed except in the presence of another (C&D). But we are just beginning to scratch the surface of understanding these things. So people often rush in supplementing with the "vitamin of the month" and end up screwing up the balance in some other way.

Also there is the issue of vitamin overdoses. I think the concern about eating too much liver (excess vitamin A) is overblown because your body will tell you when it has had enough. Liver will just not appeal. If, however, you are taking vitamin A pills, you could very well do some damage to yourself. If the nutrients are coming in their natural form, it is just about impossible to screw things up. When they are synthetic, it is very easy.

Now, if you have a specific, diagnosed deficiency, by all means supplement. Just don't assume deficiency. It is not just expensive but harmless pee being flushed. Supplementing a deficiency that doesn't exist can actually be harmful.

I agree! Again, education and knowing what you need is key. I know from blood tests that I have to supplement with high doses of D and B12. I also know I'm not going to eat liver on a regular basis, I can't afford grassfed beef, and may not always get enough variety in vegetables, so I may be missing out on some key nutrients due to lack of variety and budget. People who just pop vitamins without examining their diet first may do harm. I still do think peeing out a little excess water-soluble vitamins is better than not having enough. That's different than taking too much fat-soluble vitamins or some minerals that can throw off your balance. People need to know what they are doing and of course it's better to get it from real food.

yack is offline Junior Member
    Please note that emotional health completely proportional to the physical, according to a study po ONG`s.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Paleobird.

That said, the recs are pretty moderate. The "Supplemental Foods" list is handy. D, K2 and Mag are good ideas for everyone. The rest of the stuff is, meh, maybe.

I like the idea of the once-a-week just-in-case supplements of the B's and trace minerals. I don't think that that conservative amount of supplementation is going to hurt anyone.

The therapeutic supplements need to be used with caution. I guess they say what they're for in the book? But I know NAC has been proven to treat OCD better than some SSRI's, but it comes with very real side effects, which should make you think twice before taking it if you don't have OCD.

Also, I just finished reading Primal Body, Primal Mind and she is quite strident about not taking pills containing any stearate (a common filler). Most of the pills they link to have stearate of some sort. I guess that's something people will have to decide on their own if they think stearates are risky. But it gives me a bit of pause before I swallow a handful of pills.

I am very surprised there's no fish oil or other O3 source on that list. They say to eat fish for the selenium.

I swallow a piece of 2-week-frozen raw chicken liver every night after dinner, along with a fish oil capsule. I am experimenting with taking L-tyrosine in the morning (one of those therapeutic things). I have various other pills in the cupboard I take sporadically and doubt the efficacy of. I am thinking of adding frozen heart to my routine, but I need to get around to investigating whether that should be chicken, lamb, or beef (those are my choices of 100% grass fed).

I think that my "homemade" supplements are far healthier, and less dangerous, than the "pure" forms processed with who-knows-what-trans-fat. But if you need therapeutic supplements, then yes, the "pure" forms are helpful. But there are so many chemical interactions in the body, that the danger of throwing off your chemical balance with "pure" supplements is very real.

carterusok is offline Junior Member
    yeah,good info to me , I know from blood tests that I have to supplement with high doses of D and B12.thank you