Thread: Hot pot page

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member

Hot pot

Shop Now
    I discovered hot pot (shabu shabu in Japanese) while living in Japan a few years ago and I recently took notice that if you don't use noodles, it's totally paleo! See if there's an Asian restaurant in your town offering hot pot - they are often all-you-can-eat, too, which is awesome - or make your own!

Basically, for legit hot pot, you'll need a hot plate and a big pot that's not too tall; fill it up with broth and let the broth simmer while dipping veggies and meats in the pot with chopsticks or a skimmer for a minute or two.

Make a savory broth using whatever seasonings your little heart desires - last night, I used bone broth, to which I added 2 chicken bouillon cubes, sriracha sauce, and fish sauce. Then pick up a bunch of greens, seafood, and thinly sliced frozen meats (available in Asian grocery stores). The meat has to be cut thinly enough that it will cook through in a matter of a minute in boiling water/broth.

For example, last night we picked up some gai lan, red spinach, bok choy, enoki and shiitake mushrooms, some other exotic mushrooms that I don't remember the name of, and then for meats, we picked up frozen oysters, chicken stew meat, lamb shoulder, beef chuck, and pork belly. I also got some extra-firm tofu (not primal). Delicious and healthy!

Not my meal, but just a picture of how delicious hot pot looks:

http://www.japanesefoodreport.com/ph...lmon%20raw.jpg

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Yup, my family does hot pot-- shabu shabu and sukiyaki-- occasionally in the winter. IMO it's the best way to share a meal with lots of people, you can eat what you want. The noodles are always cooked at the end, so easy to skip that part.

JenniRose is offline Junior Member
    Ahh, nice! I live in Vietnam, but have a lot of Japanese restaurants on my street. Will check it out. Thank you for sharing your idea!

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Hot pot it amazing! I got "acquainted" with it on my trip to Hong Kong. I have been planning to buy a little tabletop hotplate and make them at home. I have seen them in quite a few Chinese restaurants, especially Cantonese.

AulickAmber is offline Junior Member
    This is something new for me as I have not heard about it ever. Would like to have some suggestions and tips on it and how to cook.

ZelHarriss is offline Junior Member
    I have tried that too. Shabu-shabu is so yummy and I like the fact that you can add condiments and eat the food as you want it. The secret lies on the water with flavor on the pot.