Thread: Accidental fasting? page

haydenwest is offline Junior Member

Accidental fasting?

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone. So I've been eating primal for about two weeks now, along with lifting heavy 3x a week and walking whenever I can. As the days have gone by, I'm finding it easier and easier to go long periods without eating. There's some days where I don't eat my first meal until around 3 or 4pm (like today), simply because I don't feel terribly hungry and eating isn't on my mind. I just don't have that same hunger in the morning for breakfast like I used to. My goal, like a lot of people I'm sure, is to lose some extra body fat while building more lean muscle. So my question is, does this common occurrence of accidental fasting have detrimental effects as far as building muscle or even losing fat?

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I doubt that it would be quantifiable if it exists at all. Just make sure you eat post workout.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    I doubt that it would be quantifiable if it exists at all. Just make sure you eat post workout.
    I don't understand the huge deal about eating immediately post workout. Would Grok necessarily have always been able to do this? No.

Even Mark has said he sometimes doesn't bother to eat right after a workout. Doesn't seem to have effeced HIM any! :P

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I don't worry too much about what Grok would or would not have been able to do. We survived because we reproduced best in the niche that was there - that niche may or may not have been optimal for us. So what's optimal for us may or may not overlap with what Grok lived with - he just did better than his competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    I don't worry too much about what Grok would or would not have been able to do. We survived because we reproduced best in the niche that was there - that niche may or may not have been optimal for us. So what's optimal for us may or may not overlap with what Grok lived with - he just did better than his competitors.
    If he could make it work, we can too. My only point here, is that, even in this age, we too, can't be expected to be 100% optimal 100% of the time, and trying to be may even be worse than just doing our best and not worrying about it which IS what Grok would have done.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I don't understand the huge deal about eating immediately post workout. Would Grok necessarily have always been able to do this? No.

Even Mark has said he sometimes doesn't bother to eat right after a workout. Doesn't seem to have effeced HIM any! :P
    Grok didn't have internet either.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Grok didn't have internet either.
    True, but I've even heard people say that if you don't have time to get in a post workout meal, it is a bad idea to workout. I would argue that. As long as you're not planning on going into an extremely long fast or something, you probably haven't done yourself any harm, and in fact, you still have probably done lots of good by working out in the first place.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Your body is not going to break down post-workout if you don't start shoveling food into your mouth. Unless you're training to be a huge muscle builder la Ahnold, you don't need protein shakes or supplements or constant feeding. Your muscles will not break down without food for a few hours.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Your body is not going to break down post-workout if you don't start shoveling food into your mouth. Unless you're training to be a huge muscle builder la Ahnold, you don't need protein shakes or supplements or constant feeding. Your muscles will not break down without food for a few hours.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhh! All those companies that sell protein supplements, shakes, bars, etc. need to sell their products. Don't tell their customers this.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Exactly my point.

I don't get the whole "you MUST eat after exercise" scare. I mean, just eat normally, you'll be ok.