Thread: Cured my muscle cramps! page

MouthDR is offline Senior Member

Cured my muscle cramps!

Shop Now
    Well, after loads of experimenting with minerals (magnesium, potassium, calcium, etc) there was no effect. Tried hydrating like crazy, again, no help.

I suffer from psoriasis and noticed that in the summer months, when I'm getting tons of sun, it disappears. Gone. Come the first months of colder weather, it slowly comes back and is mostly located on my hips. Nothing too crazy, but it scales and it can't be good. Well, last winter, with 4000 IU daily of vitamin D, my levels were a measly 37. Barely "normal." So with that in mind, I bumped it up to 6000 IU this winter. What do you know? My psoriasis slowly disappeared (it's not totally gone but getting there) and NO cramps. The only thing I changed in my diet was the addition of the vitamin D and this happened almost overnight.

I haven't yet checked my blood levels and will in another month or so, and who knows, I may need to tweak my dosage a bit. It all makes sense though (vitamin D, calcitonin, and calcium metabolism), and I'm frankly embarrassed it took this long to figure this all out. Would make my biochem prof's proud

This is in NO WAY a recommendation to anyone with cramps or psoriasis, just my personal experience. Consult your physician before doing anything like this.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Great! Sufficient vitamin D is important for so many things!

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Great! Sufficient vitamin D is important for so many things!
    Absolutely. It's such a relief. Waking in the middle of the night with a hamstring or calf cramp = no fun.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, very much so! I've problems with both psoriasis and occasional terrible foot/shin cramps. I will check with my doctor the next time I visit, thanks for sharing!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting this, MouthDR. My hubby has been suffering from cramps, and we haven't been able to figure out why (looking at the usual suspects). I had gotten Vit D supplements for him, but he hasn't been taking them; now he'll give it a try and see if it helps.

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    Hey MouthDR, I can't tell what sex you are from your posts, but one of our friends who had suffered from psoriasis for years was diagnosed with low testosterone. He started taking testosterone from his doc and his psoriasis disappeared! He totally wasn't expecting that and didn't even know it was connected, but even if you are a girl you might get your hormones checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by catdance62 View Post
    Hey MouthDR, I can't tell what sex you are from your posts, but one of our friends who had suffered from psoriasis for years was diagnosed with low testosterone. He started taking testosterone from his doc and his psoriasis disappeared! He totally wasn't expecting that and didn't even know it was connected, but even if you are a girl you might get your hormones checked out.
    Thanks for that. I am a male, and have had it since childhood. I was diagnosed maybe when I was 10 or so? I have to be honest, I doubt it's low test but it's something to look into either way. The fact that it's cyclical, and seems to be correlated to my sun exposure (and subsequent vit D levels) would suggest otherwise as well. But again, something to consider.