Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stubborn or Smart?--vent :( page 3

Shelly6 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    That's me and my family. They actually spent such a large portion of this Thanksgiving mocking me about my "diet" that I am consideting not even attending next year. They are driving me away with their uncalled for mocking. Way to go for making family members not feel welcome you guys, great job.
    So sorry to hear this It's one thing to be like "Wow...weird" and another to have your family mock you. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't attend next year, either.
    The good news is, some of my family is as "into" food as I am, though they don't follow Primal or Paleo. They buy organic and support local farmers and avoid big box stores (and pretty much anything IN a box!), so I'm lucky there. The other side thinks Supersizing their McDonalds is fine as long as you always drink diet, or tea (with lots of Splenda! *puke*). I don't even go there with them...there's absolutely no point. I don't mention the diet pop or the McNasty burger or the Splenda or the other stuff because it's none of my business, but the day they start mocking me for making proper food choices is the day our family would be divided because I would possibly come unglued.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Agreed Shelly. My father asked me why I won't at grains and I gave him my usual bucket list. I prefaced AND closed with "but that's just what works for me. You have to decide for yourself."

Apparently, he's decided for EVERYONE. *shrugs*

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't really give half a crap what anyone says about me and what I eat or don't eat. I'm healthy, lean, I've got energy, and if you don't look as good as I do, I won't listen to what you have to say. Lead by example, and ignore the naysayers. Look good so you can shove it in their faces Harsh, but it works.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Ultimately, you have to learn to not need approval from anyone. You make and own the consequences of your decisions. Looking for outside approval allows others to control your happiness....which is a recipe for unhappiness.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    People are threatened by success and women in particular like to sabotage weight loss.

I go the route of "wow, I had no idea how much grains were hurting me". This gives them the out of "oh, she had an allergy" versus "Oh, geez, I need to give up grains". LOL, the problem was with me, not them.

Women like other women to join them in things that make them feel bad- they want someone to eat cheesecake and ice cream with so they don't feel alone in what they know are bad choices. They aren't worried about YOU, they want someone to share in something (lack of control of diet), that they are ashamed of.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I don't really give half a crap what anyone says about me and what I eat or don't eat. I'm healthy, lean, I've got energy, and if you don't look as good as I do, I won't listen to what you have to say. Lead by example, and ignore the naysayers. Look good so you can shove it in their faces Harsh, but it works.
    I like the way you think. My sister can tell me all she wants about how "cutting out a whole food group isn't healthy", yada, yada, but we both used to wear 16s and I now wear 6s. I am also climbing mountains while she is getting multiple body part replacements.

Women like other women to join them in things that make them feel bad- they want someone to eat cheesecake and ice cream with so they don't feel alone in what they know are bad choices. They aren't worried about YOU, they want someone to share in something (lack of control of diet), that they are ashamed of.
    Exactly, Magnolia. This is why they keep pushing cake or cookies at you saying, "Oh, come on, once in a while won't hurt".
    Last edited by Paleobird; 11-25-2012 at 09:29 AM.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Women like other women to join them in things that make them feel bad- they want someone to eat cheesecake and ice cream with so they don't feel alone in what they know are bad choices.
    There's an addiction angle to this. If you think of wheat (and possibly sugar) as addictive drugs, it explains a lot of behavior. How many people at the office try to "push" donuts and cake on you. Or, if you point out that carbs aren't good, they get defensive, almost as defensive as smokers do. And yes, woman are extremely competitive. A thin person is more likely to attract the guys, ya know. Must keep everyone else fat at all costs.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Shelly6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I like the way you think. My sister can tell me all she wants about how "cutting out a whole food group isn't healthy", yada, yada, but we both used to wear 16s and I now wear 6s. I am also climbing mountains while she is getting multiple body part replacements.

Exactly, Magnolia. This is why they keep pushing cake or cookies at you saying, "Oh, come on, once in a while won't hurt".
    It's ironic, because some people who have told me cutting out grains is not healthy would stand on their heads to cut out ALL fats...

Years ago, I watched a BBC program called "Half Ton Son" about weight loss surgery. Aside from getting into all that, I remember the mother telling her kid (who was trying to stick to the diet and drop from 800+ pounds) that "one piece of pizza wouldn't kill him". Yikes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123