Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stubborn or Smart?--vent :( page 2

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Uh, my father has told me multiple times a day since I came to visit him that "Gluten only harms full-on celiacs. You are a silly fool to worry. I will not have cavemen in my house."

So, uh... I never tried to convince him beyond telling him how I feel about it for my own personal needs and he STILL won't lay off. Some people really ARE that insensitive about it.

This is why I'm not even sure I want to join him for Thanksgiving next year. It has been as mentally taxing on me as it hass physically.
    That is so harsh and I'm very sorry to hear. So tough when someone says you are feeling fine yet they can't even feel what you're feeling. So irrational. You're right, he's not going to lay off. I'm sure I don't have to tell you it's his issue and not yours. Hang in there Drumroll. If not joining him for Thanksgiving next will help, then it's a good plan. You know we are here to support and hope you can find a support group in your area.

....And what Louisa655 said.
    Last edited by JoPaleo; 11-24-2012 at 04:06 PM.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    I equate it to lactose intolerance. Some lactose-intolerant people can have milk but only up to a certain limit.
    Similarly, I have slight reaction to gluten (acid reflux), but only if I have a lot of it. So at office parties, I can get away with a square inch of cake or one donut hole and then explain that's all I'm allowed... but oh how it tastes so good. (and actually it does kinda taste good). This tack has worked well with everybody.

solstice, why not bring your own salmon dish to Thanksgiving next year? Then you can avoid the turkey without making demands on or burdening your family... and they can have some salmon too!
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the support guys. My father is an extremely smart and well-educated man, but he is very set in his ways. No changing his mind about ANYTHING. I knew that going into this and I wasn't trying to do that. I was only rying to give him my own n=1 which I now realize even THAT was a mistake. Sadly. If your ways don't conform to his you MUST be doing something wrong.

My mother, even though she's across the country hasn't been much better. And neither have my friends. Ugh. Sometimes I feel so alone on my journey, but then I come here to the forum and I see all you guys and I realize this logic hasn't gone ENTIRELY in one ear and out the other.

I wish I has more of a supportive personal network though. I am surrounded by folks who try to sabatage me at every turn it seems like.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    unless you're underage and your parents still pay for your food, it honestly shouldn't make any difference what people say about what you eat. freedom of choice and whatnot.
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    unless you're underage and your parents still pay for your food, it honestly shouldn't make any difference what people say about what you eat. freedom of choice and whatnot.
    This is true, but even so, it's nice to have some support sometimes and not have to do EVERYTHING alone. Surely even you can admit that much.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    This is true, but even so, it's nice to have some support sometimes and not have to do EVERYTHING alone. Surely even you can admit that much.
    the only thing that gets me is people who are so opinionated that they can't help but comment on what you're eating even while you're eating it. the worst thing is when it's so blatantly regurgitated fda nonsense. i know people who won't even let me salt my food in peace, so yes, i can agree there.
    nihil

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Where do you live?

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post

solstice, why not bring your own salmon dish to Thanksgiving next year? Then you can avoid the turkey without making demands on or burdening your family... and they can have some salmon too!
    Hi oxide!
    I'm not opposed to bringing the salmon...but I joked this year that for the two houses we visited I made: salad, brussel sprouts, carrot soup and GF desserts. Imight as well take on the meal at the rate I'm going! ...but I guess that would involve more house cleaning!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, this kind of lifestyle change can be very difficult for some to understand. Not everyone agrees with the way I eat either. But I don't care, lol!!

Bottom line, it's your body and it's your life. You are the one that has to live with the decision to eat that fast food and feel like shit afterward, not anyone in your family. Stand for yourself and what you believe in. I know it's irritating to have people question you or call you stubborn for not going off plan. But that's their problem. Maybe they are just jealous because you have the willpower and fortitude to not be tempted by nasty fast food and they don't. You are doing awesome, keep up the good work!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoPaleo View Post
    Yup. Where do you live?
    I'm near DC myself, but I'm not sure where I'll be next year at this time. But that doesn't matter. I'd love to meet some local primal followers some day, wherever that may be. Heh.

Oh well. I'm doing pretty well all things considered. The biggest thing is that my family has fought me tooth and nail on this right from the start.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast