Page 51 of 165 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal: NZ Suse page 51

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Happy New Year Suze, hope 2011 is your year!

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I’m back from Fiji! Did you miss me!!??? long post ahead! It was just lovely. Even though we got rain most days, it was usually in the afternoon and was quite a refreshing break actually. I totally got my vitamin D intake naturally this last week. We stayed at the Sofitel on Denarau. A great place to stay, I would say it was my pick of the hotels on Denarau . It also had a great big pool. It would have been nice if it had a swim up bar (perhaps a good thing it didn’t eh) and it also would have been good if they had a specified adults only area, but we pretty much weren’t too bothered by kids as we were lounging down the deep end. Minor complaints really.

Food wise a mix of good and bad really. I had a big cooked breakfast every day, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, steak sometimes,sausages, croissants with raspberry jam every day. I didn’t indulge every day in a glass of bubbles for breakfast but I confess to doing it probably 4 out of 7 days (after all it was all included in our stay there!!!) lunches were pretty light, some days we just had brie and pastrami and crackers, others we shared a meal of club sandwiches and fries. Dinners were probably mostly good from a primal perspective. Fiji is EXPENSIVE food wise. I was quite shocked in that regard as the food was really pretty average for what you were getting for the most part. I did have an awesome vindaloo down at an Indian restaurant at the marina though.

The good thing about staying on Denarau (which is about 30 mins from the airport) is that there is a lot more choice there. You can go down to the marina for dinner and there are a few restaurants there, or you can go to other hotels. A lot of people complain about being stuck on an island and there is no choice but to eat at the hotel you are at - it can get boring after a few days. One day we got a rental car and went to visit the fireman’s brother who was staying at the Intercontinental at Natadoli, further round the coast. Oh my, that was like a little holiday within a holiday. An amazing hotel, huge. He had been upgraded to a club room (as he is a frequent traveller and stays intercontinental around the world) and it was just gorgeous. Huge big room, awesome views, bath on the balcony as well as a daybed, great toiletries. Plus they have access to the club lounge, where they would go for breakfast, afternoon tea (high tea served every afternoon – little club sandwiches, baby scones, little cakes), not to mention cocktails between 5.30 to 7pm each night with gorgeous nibbles (calamari, samosas, spring rolls, devilled eggs, cold meats etc) All free for him. He paid for us to be able to access the club lounge for cocktails and i can tell you he got his money’s worth with me, as I went to town on the cocktails. The service was impeccable and the best you’ll ever get in Fiji – it was swift and attentive, no sooner was my glass empty and they came to ask me if i would like another! Yes please. Trust me, swift and attentive are not 2 words that you use a lot in Fiji. But I didn’t let things like that worry me, after all I was on holiday.

Sleep wise, could have done better cause of course I had to sleep with the fireman in the same room all night. His snoring was pretty bad some nights. And the bed was just too soft for my liking. I actually asked housekeeping to make up the sofa bed for me and slept on that the last few days as it was better for my back. I had naps every day though and felt overall rested. Went and had a back massage and facial one day to iron out all my kinks! Bliss. Spa prices were pretty high but I found one not connected to the hotels which was slightly better priced.

Did heaps of walking and of course was in the pool every day. Have come home 1kg heavier but not too worried about that at all. Not surprising given the amount of booze drunk really (although I have to say that generally I was good – it was only the night at the intercontinental I really had a lot to drink – but every day I’d have a vodka and tonic (we took some duty free in with us) and usually a beer by the pool, sometimes a cocktail. The occasional wine with dinner, just a glass though.

So yes, I am feeling like a million bucks. I’ve got a nice tan, I probably got a small burn first day but really pretty minor, not sore, not red the next day. I managed my time in the sun well. I think I only used sunscreen on my shoulders and arms on 1 or 2 days. I think I had totally unwound within 2 days, so the 7 days there was just perfect. The fireman came home relaxed as well which I am pleased about. I was happy to come home and of course happy to go and pick up my furbabies who both looked happy and content after their holiday at the kennels.

I only put one book on my new e-reader though which was stupid, I had it finished on the 2nd day. Luckily I had bought another couple of normal books with me. Next time I will load up the e-reader though, I loved it.

I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and new year, I’m going to go and catch up on journals over the next day or two. Sorry for my long travelogue!

BeagleMan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back! Fiji...I SOOOO want to go there. Pretty far from Canada though...so not super easy to get there.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I missed you

Sounds like you had a wonderful time
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Welcome home and Happy New Year

Sounds like a completely wonderful holiday. I'm regretting that we don't have a warm sunny destination in line for this winter. Have to wait for my next trip for PrimalCon in April, I'm so looking forward to that.

So now you've had a taste of the e-reader...definitely must load it up with all kinds of stuff before a trip. Awesome little device.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like an awesome trip Suze. Glad to see you home safe and sound

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    it does sound lovely, and quite affordable from NZ, i've noted around town (looking at the tourism office windows). sounds like you did well overall, and pushed your 20% hard on a few days, but with no hard outcomes.

our trip, we didn't have as much sunshine (it being the south island and flooding quite a bit while we were there), but the food was good (and drinks are never a temptation for us because neither of us have the taste for it) and the scenery beautiful.

i'm thinking a lot about sun/tan these days. i'd be interested to hear more about how you 'built up' your tan without burning. we are thinking of taking the plunge. maybe i'll start a thread on it somewhere.

glad you are back, though i admit, i didn't realize you were gone.

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    That trip sounds awesome Suse. Hope you and the fireman are still relaxed.

Now, at some point we both mentioned converting our constant hungover cries in December of 'I am never drinking again' to 'let's be good in Jan'. How's that going? I have not touched any yet (and its kinda sad I am so proud of that when its been four nights!!).

Suse is offline Senior Member
    zoebird, we were just really good about our time in the sun. I think it may have helped that we have both been supplementing with 5000 iu of vit d3 at least 4 or 5 days a week before leaving. It was just so hot over there that you feel like you are burning so you want to get out of the sun. I certainly spent a lot of time in the shade. mid afternoon was definitely siesta time!!! did you love the south island! it is so beautiful down there, I love it. I used to work many years ago at Mt Cook and at milford sound. truly spectacular down in that neck of the woods. Back to the tan stuff again, had about half an hour of dedicated sun time this afternoon (2pm) and then sort of wandered round the garden this afternoon for 20 mins, feel a bit of burn on the top of my back. the sun in NZ is definitely tough!!!! In fiji we were out of the sun before midday. I think short bursts, a couple of times a day might be the go.

Mog, I so admire you! 4 nights!!! wow. I havent had an alcohol free night since before christmas I dont think. Tonight I have had 3 (yes 3!!!) cosmo's. whoa, must have been strong ones as I definitely feel woozy... But I've had water too. Cant recall if I mentioned above that my new years resolution is to ensure that whenever I have a glass of wine in front of me, I need to also have a water. specifically that is about the wine, its a weakness for me, wine glass empty, refill. If I had a water in front of me I'd be more inclined to drink it. I'll still have another wine perhaps, but it is my concept for reducing my intake this year. ooopsie on the cocktails, but the fireman and I are still on holiday... he's back to work tomorrow.

definitely been better on the food front since we got back. Not the booze front. Have dropped half a kilo already. fireman and I were both moaning about how potty we feel in the gut... I put it down to a mix of too many beers, and just general overindulgence, but I think we might be retaining some water.... havent drunk as much water in the day I dont think.

Tomorrow I will try and post some photos.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Suse;299515 I think it may have helped that we have both been supplementing with 5000 iu of vit d3 at least 4 or 5 days a week before leaving. [/QUOTE]

this is what I should be doing for the next 14 days

Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    Tomorrow I will try and post some photos.
    Can't wait!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy