Thread: Low sugar protein powder? UK page

Crib is offline Junior Member

Low sugar protein powder? UK

Hi,

Long time follower and reader of the blog but first time poster after some advice.

I'm wanting build muscle and am looking for a "primally approved" protein powder as unfortunately Mark's own powder is too expensive to ship to the UK.

I've found this Ignite Ultra-V MintChoc Flavour 2.25kg - Natures Whey but not too sure about it as it's, well, a bit different!!

I don't suppose anyone has tried it but here is the nutritional info;
    Product Description

"Ignite Ultra v is the first all-in-one health & fitness product that is completely free of any dairy, soya, gluten or wheat in the UK
    Natures’ Whey combines protein isolated from peas with ingredients normally associated with whey based products & enables vegan, vegetarian & allergic athletes to finally level the playing field.

Organic Peruvian Maca is thrown into the mix to aid in fat loss & muscle gain, improve performance, strength, stamina & aid in improving overall general health. Ignite Ultra v will not cause bloating that is so often associated with whey based protein drinks & for this reason can be consumed pre & post training for lean muscle gain; as a weight gainer or as a meal replacement taken as part of a calorie controlled diet.

A 60g serving provides 40grams of protein, less than 13grams of carbohydrates and just 2grams of fat per serving.

Nutritional Information (dry mix*)

Per 60g

Energy (kj) :

Energy (kcal) :

Protein (g) :

Carbohydrates (g) :

EFA (g) :

Ingredients
    Pea Protein (from Pisum Sativum peas), Dextrose, Creatine Monohydrate, Glutamine, Peruvian Maca, Ultra-Fine Oats, Taurine, Beta-Alanine, Threonine, Leucine, Natural & Natural Identical Flavourings, Natural Colourings.

What do you guys think??

Bonboncat is offline Junior Member
    Hi

I'm in the UK too, that protein powder sounds quite good (I wouldn't be able to have it due to the oats though).

My husband orders Pea protein and organic rice protein powders from Iherb, they have cheap shipping and low prices (you just have to make sure you stay under the customs charge threshold otherwise your order ends up at the post office for days and you have a customs charge to pay!).

I'm not sure how primal pea and rice protein are considered to be, but we find them quite digestible. I'm not keen on the taste of pea protein though, it is a bit savoury (kind of like lentil soup!). Rice protein is bland so mixes with anything, but has a bit of a chalky texture.

Good luck! If you do go for the pea protein, I find mixing it with cinamon improves the taste. The Maca will probably improve the taste too, Maca has a kind of malted "horlicks" type taste.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Wouldn't you rather eat beef? Only 20% of the protein in whey is bio available wile 40% in foods like beef are.. If you work out the cost per gram of available protein, I'm sure you could afford some nice beef vs. choking down pea powder.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I use MyProtein. cheap enough, get the unflavoured Impact Whey or Impact Whey Isolate and it's just protein, no added crap or junk to worry about

Crib is offline Junior Member
    Lovely, thanks for the replies.

MyProtein looks particularly good! Especially for the price!!

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds like a horrible scam. You can already buy vegetarian protein and the vast majority of protein supplements are low sugar. Bulkpowers or myprotein.