Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm pretty sure I'm getting fatter! page

shannonstoney is offline Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I'm getting fatter!

Ok, this is not working. Not only am I gaining weight by the scale; I'm also getting visibly fatter.

I've cut carbs to less than 100 grams a day. I'm cutting out fruit and liquid dairy like milk and yogurt.

Should I also start counting calories?!?

I wasn't fat when I started this two months ago, but I'm afraid if I keep it up, I will be!

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Please post a daily diet. How much have you gained and how long have you been doing PB? Are you exercising?

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Calories are still important eh? If you're not burning more than you're eating, yeah, you'll gain weight. Why not check out sparkpeople or fitday.com

Enter in a few days worth of eating and see where you are. Maybe you're eating too much protein and fat and not enough veg?

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    How much weight have you gained? 2 pounds? 10 pounds?

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I've got no real advice, just sympathy. The more primally I eat, the more I gain. So annoying.

I've started logging again to see what my calories are like... right now I'm eating 1500 a day, but it's entirely possible I was eating more when I knew I wouldn't have to see the number. =P Can't hurt to at least log a few days so you have precise numbers to give the more helpful folks here. =]

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    It could also be a sign of an underlying pathology which isn't ameliorated by a primal diet. Thyroid issues, for example, can be exacerbated by the way that some people eat when they go low carb.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

I've gained about two pounds in two months. This morning I had two eggs fried in butter, some carrots and some collard greens. For lunch I had an ounce of goat cheese, about an ounce of chicken, and half a cup of cooked potatoes maybe, left over from the night before. This was on a salad with a little olive oil, and the potatoes had some fat on them from a casserole. (I don't eat potatoes every day, maybe once a week.) I had a handful of nuts and some more carrots when I got home from work. I had a hamburber and some more collard greens for supper. That's pretty typical.

Yesterday I had a blueberry smoothie for breakfast, a big salad for lunch with some chicken on it, and some chicken vegetable soup for supper, and some cashews during the day.

My exercising habits are: about 45 minutes to an hour walk every day, yoga three times a week for about 45 minutes.

I think I need to start tracking calories more. I used to use nutritiondata.com, but it's very slow. I think I will try some of the other ones people recommended.

Ok, I did Fitday for today. It's better than nutritiondata because it's faster. My calories today added up to about 1400. Fat was about half. 80 grams of carbs.

Gaining two pounds may not seem like a big deal, but I'm a short person. I'm 5'3" and weigh about 137 now, up from 135. I'm 56 years old, female.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Fitday.com is great. We are very likely to overestimate activity and underestimate caloric intake - the simple act of tracking these things does wonders for what we end up putting in our bodies.

(Also, depending on the size of your hands, a handful of nuts has a lot of calories - if you're going to eat them, take your typical "handful" and weight or measure them, just so you know exactly how many calories you're consuming next time you reach for a hand full of them).

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I see too many carbs and not enough fat for you to kick-start ketosis. Cut the carbs down to less than 50 per day - ideally, less than 20 per day - and increase your fat intake to 80% of your total caloric intake. If you still don't see an improvement, it's time to see the doctor and get some things checked out, such as your thyroid.

Best of luck!
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast