Thread: Good sized sandbag to start with page

seaweed is online now Senior Member

Good sized sandbag to start with

Primal Fuel
    i was wondering if there are any guidelines as to which sized sandbag to start with? is it relevant to any of the size weights you can lift in other lifts? i am looking at one to have at home. they come in 5kgs, 10kgs, 15 etc.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    As a general rule most people will lift around 20-40% less in a sandbag than for a comparable barbell exercise.

so it would then depend what exercises i wanted to do with the sandbag. overhead press sort of exercises, i do much lighter weights than things below the shoulder. i have 6kg dumbells at home that i overhead press but that is only coz they are the heaviest dumbbells i own. i will try some bigger ones next time i go to the gym. using the general rule. 20-40% approx less than 12kg is about 9-10kg sandbag. i can curtsey lunge 21kg dumbbells for 20 reps. so that would then be 42 kg which would be about 25 - 32kg sandbag lol i prob need an adjustable sandbag!!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    so it would then depend what exercises i wanted to do with the sandbag. overhead press sort of exercises, i do much lighter weights than things below the shoulder. i have 6kg dumbells at home that i overhead press but that is only coz they are the heaviest dumbbells i own. i will try some bigger ones next time i go to the gym. using the general rule. 20-40% approx less than 12kg is about 9-10kg sandbag. i can curtsey lunge 21kg dumbbells for 20 reps. so that would then be 42 kg which would be about 25 - 32kg sandbag lol i prob need an adjustable sandbag!!
    I started out with a range of contractor sandbags (the plastic bags that the sand come in) that I just split down into smaller weights. I had a 10kg, 20kg, 30kg, 40kg and a homemade 'tornado ball' - all for around 6. I use an adjustable bag now but there are plenty of options without.

stock14.jpg

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I made 4 25 pound sandbags and have a big army duffel bag that i can "load" with varying weights depending on the exercise.

it would make sense then to make one. obviously it doesnt matter too much where the handles are? or do you sew more on?