Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KFC Double Down Coverage Insanity page

Zerhyn is offline Junior Member

KFC Double Down Coverage Insanity

Primal Fuel
    Well I don't know about the rest of you, but this doesn't seem to be such a bad idea for a sandwich. It is getting hammered by the press http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-m..._b_531749.html, for being completely unhealthy. Though I would agree that the breaded version isn't too good for you with 0.5 g of trans fat. The grilled version seems like a good idea with 0 grams of trans fat.

I may just try to make my own version with chicken and bacon from known sources.

Their grilled chicken seems to have quite few ingredients...

KFC Grilled Chicken
    Fresh Chicken Marinated With Salt, Sodium Phosphate, and Monosodium Glutamate. Seasoned With: Maltodextrin, Salt, Bleached Wheat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Monosodium Glutamate, Secret Kentucky Grilled Chicken Spices, Palm Oil, Natural Flavor, Garlic Powder, Soy Sauce (Soybean, Wheat, Salt), Chicken Fat, Chicken Broth, Autolyzed Yeast, Beef Powder, Rendered Beef Fat, Extractives of Turmeric, Dehydrated Carrot, Onion Powder, and Not More Than 2% Each of Calcium Silicate and Silicon Dioxide Added

I found a review of it over at the Fat Head movie blog
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...lived-to-tell/
    Last edited by Zerhyn; 04-13-2010 at 04:44 PM.

3fiddyz is offline Junior Member
    As far as fast food goes, its a step in the right direction, but that ingredient list is terrible...

They don't sell them in Australia yet, and I wouldn't eat one if they did. But I can see a primal version for dinner shortly, with 2 crumbed (egg wash with almond meal, reggiano cheese and spices) and slightly flattened chicken breasts, grill them up in some quality butter, spread some local pasture feed goats cheese and my home made bacon in between, perhaps a dash of primal bbq sauce, wrap it between some grease proof paper and yummy.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I would make one of my own (sans cheese and sauce, as I don't eat dairy), but I wouldn't touch KFC meat with all those additives! I'm sensitive to MSG anyway, and I always prefer to eat my own cooking because I control the ingredients. Actually, I prefer to make my 'sandwiches' from egg "pancakes."

Kryz is offline Junior Member
    I was really excited when I heard about the grilled double down - a fast food option that I could have if need be that isn't a salad? Shock and awe! But of course the ingredient list just had to be awful. Since when is wheat flour a seasoning?

Chunster495 is offline Member
    I picked up both versions last night for dinner(original and grilled), to see what all the hype was all about. As I was driving home, I don't know exactly why, but the smell made me immediately think of sunny side up eggs,.. so I fried two eggs and put them on top as I devoured them. The sandwiches are not bad,... but they're nothing to really rave about. It's really salty and in all honesty, it's just okay. I had to down about a gallon of water afterwards. Being that the ingredient list is pretty much crap, I don't think i'll be opting for this anytime ever again... while KFC seems like they're on the right direction by getting rid of the bun, they have a long way to go... And all this media hype about how it's so bad for you.... i just don't get it when all their other stuff is just as bad, if not worse.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I don't even think there's a KFC in my city, but after reading a bunch of reviews (that it's too salty and whatnot), I don't think I'd try it anyway.

I really want to make my own now though. =] And 3fiddyz, I'm stealing your idea of using goat cheese, that sounds wonderful... goat cheese and bacon is one of my favorite flavor combinations!

I broke down and got the grilled version last night. It was a bit salty but it wasn't too bad. It needed 3x more bacon. Next time I have a desire for a chicken sandwich I'll attempt to make my own with a nice layer of bacon in the center and some quality non-American cheese.

KXS
    KXS is offline Member
    I make an appetizer that islike this...smaller pieces of chicken pounded a bit, spread with mustard, put bacon or prosciutto and a pice of swiss cheese on top, put another piece of chicken, then sucure with w toothpick...roll in a beaten egg and almond meal then bake...they are so so yummy and similar idea to this but all natural.

Quote Originally Posted by KXS View Post
    I make an appetizer that islike this...smaller pieces of chicken pounded a bit, spread with mustard, put bacon or prosciutto and a pice of swiss cheese on top, put another piece of chicken, then sucure with w toothpick...roll in a beaten egg and almond meal then bake...they are so so yummy and similar idea to this but all natural.
    Very nice!

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    I work part time at KFC and when I have to "suggest sell" the double down I honestly have gotten hostility a few times. Like "pssh, I don't need a heart attack... I'll just take a 3-piece extra crispy instead"... yeah, this coming from like 400 lbs fat ass...

Urrg. People are wigging out about this. Have they seen the triple baconator at Wendys or the Big Mac?
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast