Thread: Thanksgiving: Amazed, But Not Surprised. page

mauler5858 is offline Member

Thanksgiving: Amazed, But Not Surprised.

So the typical American Thanksgiving: Eat until you are bloated, gorging yourself in mashed potatoes, dressing, casseroles, desserts, etc of all sorts. Spend the next few hours on the couch(belt loosened up a notch or two) feeling bloated, horrible, and eventually falling asleep. You wake up around midnight ravenously hungry. You go to the fridge and get the leftovers of what they had earlier and the cycle starts again. That, at least, is the memory of just about every Thanksgiving I have had to date.

This Thanksgiving I decided to employ primal/paleo(mostly) principles. I had 3 different events to be at, so lots of food was thrown my way. I focused on meats, and things that are *mostly* primal such as cole slaw, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce(homemade), sweet potato souffle(homemade), potato salad(i know not great, but there is worse). For dessert I had a decent sized slice of pumpkin pie(once again homemade) minus the crust.

The Result: No bloating, no passing out on the couch. I had tons of energy despite eating probably 3 full plates throughout the day not including breakfast. I had enough energy as a matter of fact to be drug along by my wife to go Black Friday shopping(yay me /sigh). I am just simply amazed at how removing the grain based carbs, but still not yet quite going by the rules on this holiday yielded a significantly different result. And btw, my weight from early AM Thursday until early AM this morning showed that my weight did not change one single ounce. Ill count that as a win considering it was Thanksgiving.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I have a neighbor (a little plump, but in no way fat) who ate so much, I could actually see the bloat on her Friday and she was wearing a big baggy tshirt. Totally freaked me out.

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Pretty much the same here. 1/2 plate of turkey, small amounts each of mashed pot, sweet pot and stuffing. Put turkey dripping gravy over it all. Not completely primal but tasty and no bloating or sleepiness afterwards. One plate and done. I'm now confident a holiday meal can be enjoyed w/out getting too worked up about it.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by shep68 View Post
    Pretty much the same here. 1/2 plate of turkey, small amounts each of mashed pot, sweet pot and stuffing. Put turkey dripping gravy over it all. Not completely primal but tasty and no bloating or sleepiness afterwards. One plate and done. I'm now confident a holiday meal can be enjoyed w/out getting too worked up about it.
    I proved the exact opposite. Some people just have really bad reactions to CW junk and I am one of them. Ugh.

So to each their own, discover your own n=1. Next year I have to be more strict, or not at all.