Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Yet Another PB Journal - hibbs02 style page 4

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    How are your energy levels doing with this menu? For instance during a workout?
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

hibbs02 is offline Member
    U2Sandrah, my energy levels seem to be fine for the most part. They are affected more by sleep than diet at this point. I think I was having a tougher time on the 200cal fat mornings but now that I've dialed it up to the 400 that seems to be a sweet spot. Now, keep in mind I'm not doing crossfit or anything like that. Today I did a mile of walking a half mile at a time on break at work. In my HIIT sesssions that is like 20-30 minutes broken up with short rest periods. The resistance training days or similaryly 25-35 minutes. However, at this juncture I'm really not THAT worried about gaining muscles. I just want to lose weight, work full time go to school and spend time with my wife. The weight loss is something that I am now certain will come with time.

I'm so certain I did some "Before" pictures today. I won't show them until I"m pretty much at goal but I can see muscles poking through my fat. I'm naturally muscular so it is all about the fat loss. I think I will probably come out of this week with two pounds lost but I think the body composition change is larger than that and that I gained some muscle anyway as well.

Todays food-up higher. Did usual work day breakfast and lunch. Picked up 5 KC strip steaks for $3 each at price chopper. Age a giant Rib Eye to clear some space in the freezer. Another Avocado ripe today pushed up the total more than usual when added to a big ass salad.

Totals
    Calories 2,356
    Carbs 69 (net 32) (11.71%)
    Fat 167 (63.79%)
    Protein 135 (22.92%)

Todays' victory: Made homemade salad dressing for the first time. Price chopper also had some great sales on vinegar. Bought White Wine, Red Wine, Balsamic and Apple cider vinegar. Now I just need to figure out what to do with it all!

Todays experimental salad dressing: EVOO, Balsamic Vinegar, tahini, coconut milk, dab mustard and some basil. It was OK. Healthier than store bought and I'm okay with that being the standard.
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Goal: Walk daughter (due 1/21/13) down aisle
    Motto: It will all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it is not the end.
    Alternate Motto: Whatever the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

Its so great to read how determined you are!
    I dont Crossfit either, I just do walking and trying to get away from cardio!

Well, same weight to the ounce three days in a row: 347.2. I will eat at this level Primal for the next week and compare Monday to Monday after carb refeed on Sunday and then make determinations on what steps need to be taken. I don't think that the relatively small amount of dairy or nightshades I've been having should be a stopper so may have to start counting calories and aim for a lower caloric goal.

But, still too early for panic. I will see next Monday what is up. If I can hit two pounds a week then I will stay the course. If not reaching that goal then will rejigger.

way too early to panic!
    i realize now that for each person, the journey is different.
    for instance for me has take over a month of 60/40 eating and slowly climbing up to a 70/30, and nowadays i probably am at a 80/20... that translated to a month of no weight loss whatsoever!
    however: i see light at the end of the tunnel: i swear i feel a little more toned... less wobbly would be the appropriate term, plus a pair of skinny jeans fitting a little bit better!
    so, this takes time, and remember: its a journey, not a destination!

No, not into panic mode yet. Decided that since today was going to be a carb refeed then my wife and I could go out for Chinese food and I would have some rice. My wife is Chinese so we get the double secret hidden Chinese menu I can't even read and she picks something out that she knows I would like. I wasn't very clear on everything and she wound up getting me some breaded meat in a sweet and sour sauce. Very delicious and knocked me off the diet --

Flashback, early 90's, interior. Classroom setting with Tony Robbins like guy up front animatedly giving a pep talk:

I'm working in door to door sales and the trainer is talking to us about how we are basically our own bosses so it is easy to just get lazy and not show up. He tells us emphatically, "If you are going to go fishing really go fishing! I don't want to hear how you stayed home and watched tv. Go out. Live! Come back with some stories, energized and ready to make some sales!"

Flash forward with swooshy sound effect - we are leaving the restaurant and I tell myself, as I realized that I always do, "If you are going to go fishing then REALLY go fishing!" Binge time.

It was a setback but I did realize that when the vase of my diet gets cracked I figure, "Well, thats it!" and take a sledgehammer until the vase with a hairline crack is a fine powder and I literally always tell myself, "If you are going to go fishing then REALLY go fishing!" But, eating crap isn't fishing. There are no memorable stories or becoming energized off of it. I never come back from eating an ice cream feeling great about myself. I am doing myself damage. So, now that I realize that I have this bad habit and where the attitude comes from I'm now going to consciously change my internal monologue to, "Well, if you are going to shoot yourself aim for a flesh wound! Minimize damage!" So, today was a mistake but I really do think I learned something about myself and my habits and their origins and have new ammo to move forward into the future.

Realized that part of my problem is that I don't have enough information. I don't know what kind of calories I am burning. Costco had a great deal on the Bodymedia Fit Link with 12mos of web membership for $119. It will link with MyFitnessPal so I will have in-depth metrics on borth calories In and Out. I'm very excited to have this new tool. I will aim for a 1000 calorie deficit as being green and optimum. 1000-500 calorie deficit is yellow and to be saved for refeed days. 500 deficit to no deficit is red territory and to be used for special holidays: Christmas, Birthday, Thanksgiving. Several times a year tops until things get under control.

I spent many hours researching Fitbit, Bodymedia, Bodybugg, Nike+ Fuel and more today and this device seems to have the best data and will link with my android phone. A little pricey but right now I feel like I'm shooting in the dark and this gadget will help by providing metrics and accountability I currently don't have.

Hope all is well with you all as well. Be kind to yourself. If you won't, who will?

Full Monty Admission - warning may still be low by a few hundred calories
    Calories 3,231
    Carbs 287 (35.53%)
    Fat 151 (42.06%)
    Protein 73 (9.04%)
    Last edited by hibbs02; 12-02-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: accountability requires giving my macros

Days at the same weight to the ounce. A carb refeed day gone awry and I drop down another pound? 346 today. What the heck do I do with information like that?

Two notes: per The Carbohydrate Addict by Hellerman tried to keep the carb window small. So, probably 60-90 minutes was the whole thing. I didn't have extreme cravings after that though I had wheat, potato, ice cream and sugar. Also, didn't particularly feel bad like I did after the last few carb heavy meals but I had had about 9 days of perfect primal stacked up as opposed to the last times. Still not sure what to do with all this data but I may have to re-calibrate what I think about the refeed day with this new information. Ferris is for an "Eat like crap" refeed day but I had been planning on a virtuous refeed. So. . .I'll think about it.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Hey Hibbs. I am pleased to see your enthusiasm shows no signs of shrinking. Are you weighing yourself everyday? That is not great pyschologically as the chances of seeing healthy weight loss on a daily basis are minimum.

Although I always tell clients that diet must be in order to make progress. I would think with your diligence that your diet is going well. I would re assess your exercise level. Possibly think of increasing it. Once you plateau alter your diet. Then repeat the process.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Richardmac - I hear you. But with other WOE at this calorie level I'd be gaining weight. AND, I'm adding stuff like dairy back into a strict primal. Once I have confidence I have the kinks worked out I HOPE I will be able to stop looking.

Exercise - walked 35 minutes altogether

Calories 2,237
    Carbs 50 --- 38 net (9.66%)
    Fat 176 (70.81%)
    Protein 145 (25.93%)

Goal - Find a path to optimum health with the least effort, sacrifice or expense possible. I'm doing a lot of R&D right now but once I have it dialed in I will just have to stay on the path for 30-40 years -- God willing! -- and cruise my way through life healthy and happy. I'm sold hook line and sinker on Primal. Now I just need to figure out some more variables and I'm good to go. I'm very excited to get the Bodymedia Fit so I have more data to play with. I wish I had it starting a few weeks ago so I could have a starting benchmark for calories burned per second for various activities to see how changes to my various supplements, exercises, eating pattern etc affected it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast