Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet Another PB Journal - hibbs02 style page 3

hibbs02 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Got caught up with a coworker on one of the breaks. So, got about 25 minutes of walking on top of morning resistance exercises. Today was perhaps my new normal for food intake. We will see if it gives me results or need to rejigger come weigh day on Monday after a Sunday carb refeed.

Breakfast: 6 bags Yerba Mate (270mg caffeine vs usual 600mg) with 2TB Butter and 3TB MCT Oil
    Lunch: scoop green vibrance, scoop delicious reds, 2 scoops protein, 1 tb mct oil
    Dinner: 8oz grass fed beef, 5 oz broccoli & 5 oz cauliflower with Ghee & Sea Salt, 2 oz sharp cheddar, 2 TB homemade Mayo, artistic squirt heinz low carb ketchup

Calories 2214
    Fat 180.2 71%
    Carbs 40.4 7%
    Protein 126.4 23%

Macros look good. Adding the extra fat seemed to help me with energy though I was yawning come about 9:00pm on a very busy (sitting) work day. Very satisfied with dinner. I'm a simple man. I'm pretty much happy to eat this meal for dinner for eternity. As they say, hunger is the best sauce and while I'm not starving or anything I'm very ready to eat once I get home and the beef and veg hit the spot.

Tomorrow I'm off work though I have tons of study to do (did I mention I'm in school on top of all this?) I am thinking about having low carb burritos (no rice, beans or tortilla.) Probably will turn into a sloppy mess what with lettuce instead of tortillas. That's ok, I'll wear on old shirt to eat! Also, not sure what the macros are gonna look like with sour cream, cheese, salsa on top of the beef but I am looking forward to finding out. Not sure what to do goal wise on on non carb refeed day but off and eating two meals. Goal is to stay relatively primal. Low carb. Looking like more dairy than usual but try to keep the cheese in check. I'll keep track somewhat as I eat and Fitday it up. Be prepared though, I love me some sour cream so it is gonna get ugly.
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Goal: Walk daughter (due 1/21/13) down aisle
    Motto: It will all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it is not the end.
    Alternate Motto: Whatever the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Hey hibbs

Well done you for making those changes. I bet you feel better for the extra calories.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Yes, the day did go by much better energy wise. However it turns out that yesterdays calorie intake calculation was low by about 100 calories.

I was padding my way to bed when I noticed a small box hiding off in a corner. Turns out I'd gotten a package during the day and figured it was my Stash Organic Green Tea. However, upon opening the box I saw that it was the organic coconut oil. I took it into the kitchen and was about to flip off the light when, in a flash, I remembered various comments I had read on the forum. The one that really popped was one woman talking about how she kept a jar in her desk and would occasionally take a spoonful. So, I decided to see what the hype was about. I just barely stuck the tip of my spoon in and got less than a bb's worth of the oil and put it on my tongue. Instantly, I was unimpressed. "Meh. Oh well, at least its healt----" Bam, the second wave of flavor it and I was all, "WOW, now that is pretty nic--" Pow, the third wave of flavor hit and my eyes rolled back in my head a second. Now, I don't know if it was the fat hitting my brain or what happened but it was like some kind of Primal Limitless experience. I had had some trepidation regarding being about to stay Primal but suddenly all the recipes for Paleo bread using almond flour and pancakes using coconut flour and every thing else hit me and I felt ok about it all. Having the coconut oil, something I had never even imagined tasting before a week or two ago, blow me away helped me to realize there is a whole new world of food out there I haven't even imagined and it is tastier than bread as well as being healthier.

Then my brain just popped and I found myself slathering coconut oil on a square of dark chocolate. WTH? How is this not the standard candy available at convenience stores? That tastes just flat out incredible! Finally, I could not contain myself and went mortar and pestle on a dab of coconut oil, dash of cacao powder and sprinkle of xylitol while giggling like a mad scientist. "Amazing" is the only word that comes to mind. Again, I felt a rise of hope that it is all gonna be okay. A diet where something like that is not only acceptable but encouraged can only be workable.

So, how was your day?

Alright, went youtube paleo recipe video crazy after my coconut oil epiphany last night. Wound up trying to try to make a Paleo Tortilla with almond flour fried in coconut oil. Heartbreak is the word to describe that experience. It came out more like an almond cookie. Meanwhile, tried to make guacamole for the first time. I think the avocado wasn't ripe as it was pretty hard. Kept putting in more and more of my homemade olive oil mayo to soften it up. Definitely wasn't the smooth creamy avocado dominant flavor I was hoping for. Paleo Fail: gave in to temptation and got a Taco Bell spice pack for the grass fed beef. Figured to make up for it by getting spinach for the lettuce portion and was honestly dreading it thinking it would ruin the whole thing. Had to go to a different store to get Daisy Sour Cream since TJ's only had sour cream with lots of additives though they did have the almond flour and a nice organic salsa. Could not find the cheese shredder until the last second. The little food processor had apparently walked off and hidden itself so had to play hide and seek for that as well. Was feeling fairly frustrated as my beautiful dreams cracked head first into the asphalt of reality. All in all, a disaster in the making right?

paleoburrito.jpg

The off-white gloppy stuff on the left is the guacamole. The cheese is hiding another large dollop of diced organic tomato and vidalia onion. Lessons learned:

• If you know you own it just be patient. It will turn up. It is right where you, or your spouse, left it.
    • Guacamole is like sex. Even when its bad it is pretty good.
    • Still, give the avocado a squeeze before you put in in your cart.
    • Paleo tortilla is not tortilla, but it adds a nice crunch. Think croutons.
    • There is enough flavor going on there don't need the Taco Bell seasoning. Will custom season next time.
    • Spinach is freakin' awesome for this. Was worried sick and after three bites went back to get more spinach.
    • Tostada style isn't the best way to go. Just basically make a taco salad with lots of spinach and almond flour croutons.

All in all, very satisfied. It came out super delish and I learned lots of new stuff!

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    Well that is some might effort for a Primal meal!

Hats off to you!

A tip for avocado buying: buy them semi hard (or even hard, depends on the variety) and wrap them in paper and let them sit (I usually put them on top of the fridge, nice and semi warm place to be, but dont forget you left them up there!!), for 3-4 days.

This requires more patience but guarantees good avocado every time. It is so hard to just go to the supermarket and bam, find a lovely squeezy avocado just begging to be mushed!!
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Quote Originally Posted by U2sandrah View Post
    Well that is some might effort for a Primal meal!
    Yeah, U2sandrah, I don't think I will be doing that again for a while. Though, once you have the ingredients on hand it isn't such a big deal. Could probably do it all in under 20 minutes if the stuff was already in the house and I could find all the kitchen implements! But, I was hopped up on the coconut oil and went a little crazy.

Right now I'm in the exciting learning phase of things. Soon enough it will just be how I eat. At least I hope so. At this point it is turning into a hobby and I can't afford another long term hobby. However, I think the health benefits are going to be great enough to afford a little leeway with spending the excessive discretionary time at this point. If it is taking this much of my mental energy in a month or two I will have to re-calibrate. But, I went through the same process when I switched to vaping. I spent a ton of time, money and mental energy on it until I found my perfect solution and now I have it dialed in and don't have to think about it much. I imagine the same will happen with Primal.

Thanks for the tips on the avocado!
    Last edited by hibbs02; 11-28-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added thanks for tips on the avocado!

Fitday'd it up. DEFINITELY won't be doing this again. I could be overshooting some of the amounts but the avocado (mixed with olive oil), beef, almond, sour cream and cheese are ALL calorie dense. Also, no exercise unless walking into the movie theater to see "Life of PI" counts? Lesson learned: in this case it would have been best to simply make less of everything so there wasn't leftovers to also have for dinner. Some fish or chicken with some veggies for dinner would have saved the day. However, I think that 3100 is about my BMR so won't beat myself up too much over it. Also, still super low carb.

Calories 3050
    Fat 247.3 71%
    Carbs 46.8 (25 net) 6%
    Protein 170.7 23%

Changed from Fitday to MyFitnessPal for my nutrition tracker. Tried SparkPeople which was still much better than Fitday as far as functionality. I like the look/format/layout/reports for Fitday better but the databases on these others are so much better it is not even funny. Found out I was way overestimating calories for the grass fed beef. Like by 250 calories per 8 oz. So those 1800 calorie days? Actually in the 1500s. My disappointing day yesterday? Actually more like 2600 calories. My own fault now remedied. I finally went with MyFitnessPal because they also have an android app. Also, much easier now to track the calories with their system of favorites and saving a whole meal. For my standard day I can now track it in literally seconds. With correct nutritional values it looks like this:

Calories 2,099
    Carbs 48 (net 33)
    Fat 180
    Protein 109

Very sustainable - low carb - tasty and satisfying - IF - good energy - great macros and no cravings ever. Scale down to 347 today. I know it is water loss and will track Monday to Monday after a carb refeed day on Sunday but it is nice to see the scale moving a pound a day. Wish it were always that easy! Won't post again today unless something wacky happens but looks like today is going to be my standard day with the macros above. Now off to some HIIT! Good luck and God bless!

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I think Myfitnesspal is a good way to keep an eye on how is the %protein/fat/carb intake is going, specially when in doubt or when you need to monitor a specific meal prone to get off track!
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

Quote Originally Posted by U2sandrah View Post
    Yeah I think Myfitnesspal is a good way to keep an eye on how is the %protein/fat/carb intake is going, specially when in doubt or when you need to monitor a specific meal prone to get off track!
    I agree. The only thing I don't like is I don't see where to calculate the macros like Fitday did. But, I did find an extension for Chrome that puts them in for me! So, issue resolved. BTW, One of my avocados ripened up today and was PERFECT! Thanks again for teaching me about them!

I'm just trying to dial things in and part of that is finding the best tools, foods, suppliers, supplements. Once I have all that figured out then I can stop thinking about it and it will just be how I eat and stop being a hobby. I am already converted to primal as THE way of life. I can see/feel/measure changes over last 10 days. Also, the whole "no cravings" thing which is pretty big. Well. . .today, the no cravings thing took a bit of a beating. I had to get up and work 8:30am-5:00pm instead of 2:30pm-11:00pm to do some training at work. That involved getting up with only about 5 hours of sleep. I had a smaller than usual amount of fat for breakfast figuring that I would be getting home much much much earlier and probably have two evening meals. Going down to 200 morning fat calories on top of low sleep meant I was starving for much of the day even though I had dinner when I usually break the fast with a health shake. On the way home I was salivating for my entire half hour commute planning an outrageous feast. It was moderately difficult to fight off the urges to get carbs. But, I was able to visualize how full and satisfied I would shortly be and able to overcome.

Breakfast: 1tb Butter & 1 tb MCT oil
    lunch: Health Shake - 1tb mct oil, green vibrance, miracle reds, 2 scoops protein
    Dinner: (crazy! I was out of control!) 5 egg omelet w/ 1/8 onion, 1/4 tomato, sharp cheddar cheese -- 8oz (half pack) of bacon -- whole avocado -- 2tb sour cream -- several tablespoons of salsa.

Calories 2,089
    Carbs 57 (29 net) 9%
    Fat 160 70%
    Protein 121 29%

I could have, should have, understood that my hunger could be satisfied with less but I was crazy with hunger.

Lesson Learned: Moving forward I will just have a full 400 calories of fat with breakfast as has been the norm. Especially when sleep deprived.

The totals above may go up a few hundred calories here in a bit but I will certainly stay primal and VLC.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast