Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet Another PB Journal - hibbs02 style page 2

U2sandrah is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes! Primal is the answer! We could only hope that the rest of the world thought this...
    "If you can dream, then dream out loud" - Bono.

hibbs02 is offline Member
    Well, here's to a better day tomorrow. Today was planned to be a carb refeed day and it kinda went sideways.

Breakfast: 16oz coffee with 1TB Butter and 1TB MCT Oil
    Lunch: 1/2 roasted chicken, sweet potato with Ghee, Sea Salt, Cinnamon & sprinkle of xylitol and about 7oz mixed Broccoli/Cauliflower with Ghee
    Dinner: 3 oz Cod fried in Ghee, 1 breast roast chicken, 6 oz broccoli with Ghee & Sea Salt, 1 cup rice, 2 TB homemade Mayo
    Dessert: two squares 72% Dark Chocolate

Comes out to a grand total:
    Totals 2774
    Fat: 185.0
    Carbs: 139.0
    Protein: 149.0

Just overall too much food.

Lesson learned: Spend some time with Fitday BEFORE sitting down to eat for the day instead of at the end of the day. I felt too full after each meal. Alternative lesson: Starving kids in Africa are NOT affected by whether or not I clean my plate.

Victory of the day: I made light taste olive oil mayo from scratch! Downside: Not very good mayo. 8-( My little immersion blender is fine for BP Coffee but for Mayo? Just weak.

Crazy Amazon spending spree:
    NOW Foods Mct 100% Oil, 32-Fluid Ounces
    Now Foods Organic Macadamia Oil Pure, 16-Ounce
    La Tourangelle Avocado Oil, 16.9-Ounce Tins (Pack of 2)
    Bakto Flavors Pure Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Extract-8OZ
    NuNaturals Nustevia Alcohol Free Stevia Glass Bottle Liquid, 2-Ounce

Trader Joe nuttiness:
    3 Bars Kerrygold unsalted butter
    5LBS Grassfed Ground Beef
    3 bars 72% Dark Chocolate
    2 dozen Cage Free Eggs
    Yerba Mate
    Last edited by hibbs02; 11-25-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: forgot Yerba Mate
    WOE: Primal + IF
    Goal: Walk daughter (due 1/21/13) down aisle
    Motto: It will all be OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it is not the end.
    Alternate Motto: Whatever the weather, always bring your own sunshine.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Hey Hibbs

I am so encouraged and inspired when I find logs like yours. Good for you for getting back to a palce you want to be. Health, spiritually wise etc.

This forum is a great help to many. I am going to read back through your log again, but I would say do not be scared of eating even though you want to lose weight. A mistake a lot of poeple make (even on here) is to cut back drastically on food and calories. This is not always healthy or sustainable and leads to low energy, performance. There is nothing for the body to fuel you on and often the body defends itself by shutting down the metabolsim to preserve fat stores (for energy) stopping weight loss, further discouraging people who quit after seeing no results.

that metabolism needs to burn red hot in order to work properly, and for this to happen it needs fed my friend. I eat 6 sometimes 7 meals a day. they are small with protein and fat in every one. I am 6'1 205 and about 8% bf (not being an ass, just saying eating is ok). Eat, rest, train, play play and play somemore.

Always here to help my friend.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Also my friend one of the first things I get people to do after seeing their food diaries is to cut back on caffeine. Not drastically as that will give you headaches, but slowly. I can go into the reasons for this if you like, but try honey and lemon first thing in the AM. The honey will feed your brain the sugar it needs to wake up. it will also kick start that metabolism. If you are curios about lemon, just google it and you will be amazed at the health benifits to it.

I have a log on here to though I am catching up with it. I usually log my food each day as you are, but as I said im catching up with it, but check it out some time.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Diogenes is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Also my friend one of the first things I get people to do after seeing their food diaries is to cut back on caffeine. Not drastically as that will give you headaches, but slowly. I can go into the reasons for this if you like, but try honey and lemon first thing in the AM. The honey will feed your brain the sugar it needs to wake up. it will also kick start that metabolism. If you are curios about lemon, just google it and you will be amazed at the health benifits to it.

I have a log on here to though I am catching up with it. I usually log my food each day as you are, but as I said im catching up with it, but check it out some time.

Richard
    I was able to switch to tea, then to green tea without any withdrawal. I am so glad to be off the coffee addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    I was able to switch to tea, then to green tea without any withdrawal. I am so glad to be off the coffee addiction.
    That's fantastic. Well done. I bet you feel great for it?! I once switched a client gradually off caffeinated drinks and got her drinking more water. The added hydration and with fewer stimulants in her system her energy levels improved, ad did her attention span etc. That was before we had looked at the food she consumed. Even small things like liquid intake make huge differences.

Richard

Hey all,

Funny you should mention coffee. Today I wound up drinking Yerba Mate instead of coffee. Wound up having 5 bags which seems like about 225mg of caffeine vs 600mg of caffeine from my standard 32oz of coffee. Then I started a long day with 2 hours mandatory overtime. I wound up drinking a heaping cup of instant coffee at work. I have an order of Stash organic green tea on the way for my work caffeine. I don't know that I'm going to be able to get caffeine free (at one point I was probably around 100oz of coffee a day - or even higher probably) but I think I might make it to coffee free. That would be a huge drop in regards to my daily caffeine intake. We will see after that.

At work, I drink bottles of banner brand tea green tea with citrus flavored with artificial sweetener. I have some stevia on the way. I am one of those who can't really stand the taste but this brand looks like it might work mixed with the herbal tea at work. Again, we will see. I think the prebottled stuff can't be good for you.

I am committed to a state of persistent bold experimentation until I reach a healthy body. As far as food today it proceed mostly as I had forseen. Mua ha ha ha haaaaa!

Added in a little more flavor items to dinner which pushed up my calories a bit. Wound up at:
    Totals 2021
    Fat: 154.8 66%
    Carbs: 46.0 8%
    Protein: 128.3 25%

Breakfast: 5 bags Yerba Mate with 1 tb butter and 2 tb MCT oil
    Lunch: Health shake - 2 scoops protein, green vibrance, miracle reds, 1 tb MCT oil, dash creatine in 12 oz unsweetened coconut milk
    Dinner: 8 oz TJ's grass-fed gound beef, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup cauliflower, 2 oz sharp cheddar, homemade olive oil mayo w dash of low carb heinz ketchup.

Calories are higher than I was planning on for optimum. I had been thinking of something 18-1900 for my 5 IF work days. However, this feels very sustainable and satisfying for at least a while. I don't plan on doing this forever but rather giving the high fat, low carb, no wheat a serious trial and then seeing if I can adjust my metabolism to something that can actually have me lose weight. Once I see how this goes for the 30 days then I can consider loosening up. However, I'm thinking of doing IF until probably 240lbs or so. Maybe 260. I have a lot of muscle so at 260 with my frame I will look much better.

Except for the caffeine was very satisfied overall with everything today. I'm definitely feeling the effects of the drop in caffeine. I'm glad you guys spoke up I had been planning to just go back to 32oz coffee in the morning. However, I will try to endure at least through the week with tea only and see if the tiredness subsides.

Exercise: 35 walking minutes between break and car round trip.

Sleep: 9 hours

Added to supplements: Raw Adrenal Gland. Hoping adding this with the dietary changes including lower caffeine mixed with L Tyrosine and salt in the morning to make a change in my metabolism. Fingers crossed.

Hey Hibbs. Great to see you evaluating and happy to take on board suggestions. I learn new things from new people on a daily basis and it helps me improve at what I do and who I am. If I think back to how I worked a few years ago I have changed alot, and all for the good (I hope haha).

Well done for cutting back on Coffee. Caffeine free is not as hard as you think. I would wager for the majority of people it is easier that wheat,grain free. So keep at it. An example I use is that if someone drinks 4 cans of full sugar coke a day I dont cut them to none (especially if they are prone to giving up and doubt themselves a lot). I start with 3 cans full sugar, 1 can diet. then 2 cans full sugar, 2 cans diet etc.Then its 3 cans diet, 1 glass fizzy water and dilute juice etc etc. Small sustainable changes. You will get there. Dont rush it, and believe in yourself.

Looking at what you ate yesterday my friend can I suggest a couple things (he asks a question and continues without waiting for a reply heehee):

Breakfast: 5 bags Yerba Mate with 1 tb butter and 2 tb MCT oil
    Lunch: Health shake - 2 scoops protein, green vibrance, miracle reds, 1 tb MCT oil, dash creatine in 12 oz unsweetened coconut milk
    Dinner: 8 oz TJ's grass-fed gound beef, 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup cauliflower, 2 oz sharp cheddar, homemade olive oil mayo w dash of low carb heinz ketchup

Breakfast - the butter and oil are fine, but it doesnt seem alot after a fast. Have you thought about using olive oil and heating it up, and pouring over 2-3 whisked eggs and making an omelette. Set it on the plate and cover half in goats cheese, grapes/chopped pepper, chicken etc. Fold over and you have an omelette calzone = YUM.
    Lunch - I would drop the shake all together my friend. I would keep it if you are training and feel you cant eat straight after exercise (like I cant after a long cycle) and drinking your protein would be better in that instance. Why not a chicken salad, or a sweet potato with chicken. Anything. Cook it the night before and load up the tupperware.
    Dinner - Awesome

Although you are probs not interested here is what I ate yesterday. Not a perfect day, but not bad.

1. omelette with goats cheese, and chicken.
    2. 3 chicken thighs and some pineapple.
    gym and cycle and protein recovery shake
    3. Soup (lental and various peas [replaced iron and protein]) Also oatcakes and pate, and garlic.
    4. Tuna steak and veggies
    5. 2 Lamb chops with homemade potatoes wedges and salad
    6. 2 egg omelette with chicken
    7. Homemade chicken liver pate with an apple.

As you will see not perfect but alot of calories and regular feedings.

Feed the body and watch your performance skyrocket.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the feedback. Long term I plan to eat much like you are suggesting. Right now to kickstart fat loss all the literature I've been reading says that intermittent fasting is a good way to go. In addition, I'm not a breakfast eater anyway. I don't tend to eat until the afternoon no matter what. When I was doing slow carb with lots of "heart healthy grains" I had to force myself to eat a sandwich before I head off to work.

Now, as to lunch. There are two reasons I do this:

I don't eat in public, and my lunch at work is very public unless I won't to drop socializing at work completely (walking during breaks takes away half my time for that)

I've had fantastic benefits from the shake. Before the shake, I was constantly exhausted. Adding it in has helped me physically and mentally. In the long run I want to get my protein mostly from food. My guess is someday I will have the health shake for breakfast, real food for lunch and dinner as my general way of life.

I'm not rejecting any of your advice. Right now with how my body works and how my crazy little mind works this method is optimal. Now, if it starts seeming too restricting or I start going mad regarding lack of real food then I will definitely shift sooner even if I am no where near my health goals. I certainly do understand that the main point is eating primal and the health benefits will follow almost no matter what - though they may take longer. So, if anything starts looking to kick me off the primal hill then I will fight back with eating more and more often. I'm not getting off this hill if there are benefits to be had. Right now, I'm proving the benefits.

For example I had zero cheese for weeks. The last few days I added in a couple of ounces a day. I had a touch more mucus production during the night but in general don't notice any bad effects. Since I have been going super pure on my diet I can add in questionable things and see how they effect me. I feel like I know for sure that I can handle cheese, I like cheese, and I will keep it around. However, just as a general principle I will try to keep it more as a spice than as the sometimes food group it has been in the past.

Drinking my first morning cup of 2bag yerba mate with 1/2 tb of butter. I must say I feel better than yesterday so fingers crossed. Good luck and God bless.

Mandatory OT yesterday, daytime hours for training on Friday and my XBOX deciding to update today are really messing with my preferred workout schedule. Today, did a variety of resistance exercises. I tried the body by science approach of 5 seconds up and 5 seconds down for some exercises and they are REALLY nasty. Wound up doing curls, a triceps exercise and a shoulder exercise. Did pushups and squats with the 5up and 5down. I need to start carrying the dumbells when I do the squats. I'm shifting a lot of weight but my sled is probably still over 1000 so I need to up it. Did planks and bridges for the first time. Those planks are insane. I didn't get it when people talked about the shaking. Now I do in spades. My third set I think I hit 15 seconds on the plank and that was on knees and elbows. I can see how that will effect core strength and help my back.

Not the interval I would prefer but going to do the HITT stuff on Thursday. That will still hit pushups and squats because those are in the Xbox bootcamp but next week will hopefully have 3-4 days in between instead of only 2.

Considered Richard's comments and Dave Asprey while shaking like a leaf in a hurricane. Thinking about upping my calories and adding in more fat in my morning BP. Not the lesson Richard would have preferred but thinking about upping caloric intake to 21-2200 daily so as to have about 400-500 calories in the morning instead of the current 200-300. Between ketosis, some exercise, IF, that level still being a caloric deficit and clean healthy food with these macros I'm concerned that I am probably not taking in enough calories. Scale was 349 this morning and I'm not back in ketosis yet after Sunday so probably making some gains (though I think the starting 353 was probably artificially high as that was weighing the day after Thanksgiving). So, gonna have another cup of yerba mate with 1 1/2 tb of butter and another TB of MCT oil bringing the morning total to 2tb butter and 2 tb mct oil. I was doing that previously and felt better during the day than I have been recently (though that has been affected by the lower caffeine.)

Hope all is well for you as well. Good luck and God bless.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast