Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Drum Corps page 2

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ew... running block! :-P
    I'm usually a BIG bodyweight person, but I've been doing weights for my arms - they'll be fine, but... better to suffer in the cold of winter than the heat of summer.

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    I think that depends on geography! I did drum corps in the Bay Area. Weather in the summer was plenty pleasant. ;-)
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

I'm guessing I know where you marched, based on your username

I grew up in the Bay Area... sure miss that weather!

um... troll, I'm assuming? I'm not learning to drum. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by russellester View Post
    While the biggest factor, in deciding your success in learning to drum is your own desire,

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    SERIOUSLY JEALOUS! I'm an old marching band geekoid, and even married the tuba player from the high school band...

Sunscreen: All-Terrain (brand name) AquaSport SPF 30 (cream/lotion).

All-Terrain also makes a sunscreen they call TerraSport, the AquaSport is just more water-resistant which may be good depending on how many buckets you tend to sweat. I have used both on myself and all the kids for years now. Have to tell you that my Hubby is one sensitive-skin guy whose sun-sensitivity is ridiculously exacerbated by the meds he is on and he does.not.burn with this stuff. Natural ingredients all around.

All it takes is the faint sounds of a drum line somewhere off in the distance to literally make my heart POUND...

Okay, it's clear to me after this past camp that I need to work on my cardio fitness/endurance. UGH.
    I'm not a runner, I doubt I will ever LIKE running... but I need to be able to nearly-sprint for about 10-15min for this show. While holding up a horn.

We were fed a "holiday meal" by the corps... which, to me, meant crockpot strips of beef over salad (iceberg mix + baby spinach) with a banana on the side... skipped over the multiple trays of various pasta salads, corn chowder, beans, bread, rolls, pretzels, chips, stacks and stacks of desserts, grape juice & tea (no water, had to find a drinking fountain).
    I did cave to a homemade brownie, but in its defense, it was worth it.

I found myself craving chinese food on the way home, so I indulged - the worst of it was probably the oils, but I had - gray area - rice noodles with a TON of meat/fish and veggies, and I had an egg roll which is definitely 20%

I'm more sore - we're holding horns up for longer periods of time, and I definitely felt winded marching at 200bpm while playing. Good news is, they're building everything up, so we should be very well-prepared for the summer.

I don't think sprints alone will cut it for me personally to get where I need to be. I'm trying to set some weekly fitness "to do" items - maybe swimming 2x a week and dance class 1x a week, plus weights/bodyweight conditioning?

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    Okay, it's clear to me after this past camp that I need to work on my cardio fitness/endurance. UGH.
    I'm not a runner, I doubt I will ever LIKE running... but I need to be able to nearly-sprint for about 10-15min for this show. While holding up a horn.

I don't think sprints alone will cut it for me personally to get where I need to be. I'm trying to set some weekly fitness "to do" items - maybe swimming 2x a week and dance class 1x a week, plus weights/bodyweight conditioning?
    I stick by my theory of swimming being a great idea and the weights/bodyweight as well... I think the key with weights or bodyweight is moving it up to a higher intensity. Maybe try a few tabata sessions? The gains I've seen in myself with high intensity training over shorter time span have been unreal.

Glad to hear the rest is going well and that you guys are moving! I feel like, maybe just DCI bias, that DCA doesn't tend to move as much? Or maybe I haven't seen enough corps? Either way... I marched SCV... jk Yes, I did march with a certain set of crazies on a field called Mars many moons ago!
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

The top DCA Corps move a LOT these days. I marched w/ a DCA corps 10 years ago (which, coincidentally had the same brass arranger as your DCI corps... your '94 show was our '02 show, essentially. Lol), and we were raising the bar in DCA, but looking back, we could've moved a lot more.

Look on youtube for. Reading Buccaneers 2012... it's not DCI, but that's what's going on in DCA these days. (They won last year)... not bad for weekends only!

okay, update...
    I had to miss the last camp, but there's another one soon!
    I'm wondering what to do about two things:

1. lip schmear... I used to use DCT (a Blistex product), mostly because there were a lot of harmful things it DIDN'T contain... but I always knew there were other harmful things it DOES contain. I pulled out my old pot of DCT, and it is: Octinoxate, Ocybenzone, Petrolatum (those three are the "active" ingredients) with Aloe Extract, Cocoa Butter, Flavor, Lanolin, Mixed Waxes, Phenol, Soy Protein and Vitamins A & E.
    In non-drum corps life, I had been using Burt's Bees, but they changed their formulas when they got bought out by uh... Clorox? was it Clorox? anyhoo, those lip balms now contain canola and soy oils.
    I'll probably keep the old tubes/pots around and use every once in a blue moon (waste not want not?)
    But I guess I'm just going to bring a small jar of coconut oil with me in my dopp kit instead... maybe even a lipbalm pot if I can find a non-plastic one. Should I add anything to the coconut oil? surely it will be liquid in the summer (heck, it'll be liquid most of the winter too - inside).

2. I'm supposed to get a gallon jug for water... I'm trying to figure out how to make this work without getting a plastic POS... my dream water jug contains no plastic touching my water, AND keeps my water cool(ish) - the rehearsal field gets QUITE hot. Toying with insulating a glass gallon jug... any thoughts?

another day of drum corps in the books...
    struggled a lot this weekend, mostly due to a very congested chest (I was breathing like darth vader, I tell ya) from inhaling some strange dust when stuff started falling from my ceiling. (long story, I won't go into it here)...

so, beyond the difficulty breathing (which is VERY important, I don't think I realized HOW important until I got this crud in my lungs), we're also doing a lot more moving at fast paces, and I'm definitely behind on the times - marching has (apparently) changed a lot in the last 10 years. My feet were sore from visual rehearsal, for sure.

I'm having an easier time holding up the horn - I credit my bench pressing (I'm up to more than half my weight, hopefully I will be upping the bench press weight and lowering the body weight and therefore benching my weight sometime soon), but it's definitely not perfect yet... I got to take a horn home, so that will probably help.

I'm going to need the silly gallon jug sooner than I thought... I might have to go with a plastic POS *sigh*

and for lip schmear, I'm going to try coconut oil or a coconut/beezwax concoction that I make at home, just need to find some pots/tins to put it in.

my food gets noticed EVERY camp... "why do you eat such strange things?"... almost everyone (except the one guy who initially "noticed" my food) over the age of 25 (that's not a lot of us) has been defending me, saying "protein is good!" - and I think it's definitely helped with muscle soreness/recovery.

I'm trying to figure out what to do at fast food places that we inevitably end up stopping in - this week it was Wawa, I got a bowl with mashed potatoes and chicken (I found upping starch isn't a bad idea when dealing with lung crud), but who knows what kind of creepy chemicals were in it. *sigh*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast